How often do you replace recoil springs?

This is a discussion on How often do you replace recoil springs? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like the title asks, how often do you replace recoil springs? Do you recommend replacing the spring when buying an older used gun?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How often do you replace recoil springs?

How often do you replace recoil springs?

Like the title asks, how often do you replace recoil springs? Do you recommend replacing the spring when buying an older used gun?
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

2. Remove Ads

Good question, I'd like to know as well. I haven't replaced them in any of mine to include the p85 I bought used and carry. Although I've put at least 800 rounds through it with no issue so I don't think I need one. Anyone I'm interested in an answer to this too.

Watching for responses. I'm curious, too.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

depends on the gun
    different manufactuerers have differing reccomendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    depends on the gun
    different manufactuerers have differing reccomendations.
    ^^This.

Sig Sauer recommends replacing the recoil spring in the P238 every 1,500 rounds. It's listed in the manual that comes with the gun.

I have a little range book I use to keep track of rounds shot since last replacement. The springs are very cheap, so changing them out is no big deal.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Depends on the gun and its intended use. For range guns, whenever I start having spring-related function issues (slide cycling), and for SD pistols every 2-3K rounds (except an STI Ranger with RecoilMaster). When buying a used gun, yes, I like to change out FP and recoil springs.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You need to replace them? I replaced the one in my CZ-82 because I didn't know how used it was or what care it had been given and it ejected cases out of visual range. My used 4566 and 6906 worked so well I haven't replaced them. The Glock is OEM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have a 20 year old Glock 21 and I've never replaced the springs.
    I never really thought about it.
    TX expat and RKflorida like this.
    Psalm 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.

Romans 13:4
    But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

+1 Moby on my 22 year old Glock. I do have some if they start to cause issues though.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Senior Moderator
    Of all of my guns I've only replaced one recoil spring and that was on an M1 carbine that probably had the same spring on it since 1945 and started to have ejection problems after I put about 2,000 rounds through it.

Now it ejects spent cartridges about 6 ft above my head and 8 feet behind me
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I replaced my glock originals with springs on stainless guides because I just didn't like the plastic ones. I expect that hundreds of thousands of cycles before they reach their fatigue life limit. That said, one could break and so you should keep a spare on hand. The part is cheap and it is easy to change. If you ever start to have problems with cycling the slide, swap out the recoil spring to see if it is the problem.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Of all of my guns I've only replaced one recoil spring and that was on an M1 carbine that probably had the same spring on it since 1945 and stated have ejection problems after I put about 2,000 rounds through it.

Now it ejects spent cartridges about 6 ft above my head and 8 feet behind me
    only spring I ever needed to replace was on my M1 Garand 1943 was probably the original.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    In 60 years of shooting I have never change a magazine spring and have changed only one recoil spring when I upgraded to a threaded barrel. I have several target pistols that have at least 20K rounds thru them, over the past 20 years, using the same magazines and springs since new without a magazine failure.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    Compact and short barreled semi-autos should have their springs replaced more often.

Once your semi-automatic starts tossing your ejected brass out further than has been normal - it is time for a recoil spring change.
    Spent cartridges being ejected out of the port further out than usual is indicative of the fact that the slide is moving to the rear with more speed and less resistance due to a weakened recoil spring.

If you are shopping around for a replacement recoil spring buy a Chrome Silicon recoil spring if possible. The have a useful spring life that is AT LEAST double that of the more common Carbon or Stainless steel spring.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Every gun is different.

IIRC, on my old Browning BDM 9mm, I typically swapped to new springs at least every 5K rds. On the CZ P-01 9mm, every few thousand. On the "mouse" guns, every 750-1000 rds or so. Depends somewhat on how "hot" the rounds are that I've been feeding it, too. I've found that a steady diet of hot 124gr +P's on the Browning BDM meant things began feeling loosened-up earlier than otherwise, so recoil spring swaps made more sense to do on a faster schedule.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links