Do Your Ears Ring When Shooting? Poll

This is a discussion on Do Your Ears Ring When Shooting? Poll within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok I don't think anyone has made a post quite like this. Obviously we should always wear eyes and ears when shooting but I know ...

View Poll Results: Does One Shot Ring You?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 31.96%
  • No

34 35.05%
  • Never Shot Without Plugs

32 32.99%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Do Your Ears Ring When Shooting? Poll

Ok I don't think anyone has made a post quite like this. Obviously we should always wear eyes and ears when shooting but I know that some of us on here have fired without our eyes and ears on at least a few occasions either from self-defense, accidental discharge, or such. I am aware normally hearing loss is cumulative and each shot does a little more but I am also aware of situations where one shot caused enough trauma to permanently ruin hearing so I highly suggest you NEVER shoot without them unless absolutely necessary. Realizing in defense if you survive then the first battle is won, but has anyone ever thought about how you would handle the rest of the situation if after you had to fire a couple rounds in self defense you couldn't hear anything?

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

VIP Member
    I shoot a few hundred rounds each year without ear protection during hunting season. So that makes it about...let's see 27 or so years times 200 rounds...that makes it 5K plus and no hearing problems. Oh, I worked on the flight deck of a carrier for two years as well. Still no ringing.

Shooting indoors would make a much bigger bang though and I never do that without hearing protection.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I agree I have hunted for years without hearing protection. I wear hearing protection when indoors though, that will ring your bell for sure!

It depends on the situation. When hunting, I rarely hear the gun shot, and never experience any ringing.

When just at the range and there is a gun discharged around and I don't have hearing protection, yes, ringing often occurs.

I think adrenaline makes the difference.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I had to answer yes. After 20 years of working around jets and more than that of hunting, my ears ring constantly--24/7.
    Ghost1958, RichB70 and Chris Dawg like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I don't shoot without ear protection. I have been in classes when the ear muffs were off to listen to the trainer and someone gets their signals crossed and fires a round or two. And yes, that does ring my ears. During a critical incident, a phenomina know as occular occlusion,fancy name for hearing loss,takes place and is part of being under great stress, and I don't know if you would even hear the shot. Hearing loss is only one of many things that happen to the body under significant stress.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I generally bring the ear muffs when I hunt too and throw them on before a shot... I only hunt squirrels though I wouldn't attempt that staring down a big buck lol.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    I don't shoot without ear protection. I have been in classes when the ear muffs were off to listen to the trainer and someone gets their signals crossed and fires a round or two. And yes, that does ring my ears. During a critical incident, a phenomina know as occular occlusion,fancy name for hearing loss,takes place and is part of being under great stress, and I don't know if you would even hear the shot. Hearing loss is only one of many things that happen to the body under significant stress.
    I believe it's called auditory occlusion, occular would relate to eyesight or eyes.
    Having fired many rounds hunting I never hear ringing. I do wear hearing protection target shooting.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

There is also a huge difference between shooting in the open vs under a covered area. The covered area amplifies the sounds.
    AR15VSCoyote and MrsHB like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I had to answer yes. After 20 years of working around jets and more than that of hunting, my ears ring constantly--24/7.
    Well TBT I'm glad I'm not the only one. My ears have been ringing since I was 18 from a rollover accident. Plus I went airborne and landed 50+feet from dune buggy.

Only it's more like a solid tone. It's pretty loud right now.

Most of my working life I was in loud industrial environments. Add to that screamin' loud music. I prefer muffs and plugs when running saws or gas trimming ditches. Fair bit of tractor and Hoe work with no hearing protection along with trucks. When I shoot I like muffs and plugs.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

As a diesel mechanic, I am around screaming engines, inch drive impacts, and hammering all day long. My ears have been ringing for as long as I remember. They are just plumb shot.

I do wear plugs when at the range. Trying to preserve what very little hearing I have left.
    carracer and NONAME762 like this.

I have tinnitus (continuing ringing in both ears.) So this is a mote point but I do wear plugs when I shoot.

One time, I saw a frekin rat at the bird feeder and was upstairs in a small room. I did not even think about it at the time but I opened the window and using my .35 Rem Marlin 336, I shot that rat and blew it in half with pieces going everywhere. I know, a little overkill...

I was deaf for a few hours...

Lesson learned... NEVER shot at rats from inside a small room...

Of course that was eons ago but lesson learned.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Do you mean some peoples ears don't ring??
    Sky Pilot likes this.

As to the question on the Poll "Does one shot ring you", I said "yes". But really it depends. I've shot a number of things without hearing protection. One shot from my AR doesn't do anything (several on the other hand...), one shot from my .45 hurt pretty good, and shotguns dont bother me at all.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post

Most of my working life I was in loud industrial environments. Add to that screamin' loud music. I prefer muffs and plugs when running saws or gas trimming ditches. Fair bit of tractor and Hoe work with no hearing protection along with trucks. When I shoot I like muffs and plugs.
    Very similar hearing loss. Tour in the USAF on fighters. Loud music, played in a band, worked construction for 25 years. I wore hearing protection occasionally but definitely not enough. Have the buzz pretty.much constantly. I do wear protection now that its too late. Popped off a round with a 44 a while back & rang for about 3 days.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links