How good can a 200$ gun be?

This is a discussion on How good can a 200$ gun be? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I walked into an LGS yesterday, just to see what they had. I hadn't even known they were there till recently. I figured maybe I'd ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: How good can a 200$ gun be?

How good can a 200$ gun be?

I walked into an LGS yesterday, just to see what they had. I hadn't even known they were there till recently. I figured maybe I'd be able to pick up a couple boxes of 40 cal to shoot at the range. They had some nice handguns. Prices seemed to go along with what I've seen in the area. Then I saw it. A 40 cal handgun from "HighPoint". I had never heard of them. The price tag said 195$. My wife said for the price alone I should get it. That should have been my first clue, cause my wife usually does not encourage me to spend money ( although she's getting into shooting my 9mm, but that's another thread.).

So I came home and did some research. I think the best point I came across is that they carried a lifetime manufacturers warranty. Stories of people buying this gun used and sending it in, only to have High Point rebuild it and ship it back were all over the Internet. The complaints i saw were similar to the ones I read about my keltec 380 before I bought that, and I've had no problems with that either. After some reading, I decided to purchase the 40 and try it out.

Now, I am no expert . My experience with firearms extends for about 5 months. Since I purchased my 380 in December , I've purchased 3 more handguns (addicted you say?). So, what I have to is purely my opinion.

So I put 10 rounds through the highpoint, into a full size target at 7 yards. 10 hits to center mass, looked to be fairly close together. 10 more rounds through, this time to the head. Again, all 10 fairly close together. The gun is heavy, probably twice as heavy as my Sig 250. I think the highpoint has less recoil than the sig though. I put 50 or so rounds through it before I called it a day. My wife and I shot the others a bit before heading out.

If you're looking for an inexpensive 40 cal to shoot at the range , I'd highly recommend the highpoint. For 200$, you can't beat it.

2. Remove Ads

Oh my... I hope you have your flame-retardant suit on.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Depends on the gun.

I've seen a number of "classic" revolvers and prior-generation S&W pistols, for example, at pawn shops and elsewhere (at times other than these panic-induced moments we're having now), where $200-250 got you a fair example of a reliable and quality gun. Now and then, these can still be found, though they're rare.

The CZ 82 9mm Mak, for example, is a good one that I've seen for ~$200 here and there. Up until the December 2012 panic over anti-gunner progress, these weren't that uncommon at such a price.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Oh my... I hope you have your flame-retardant suit on.
    ^^^ this ^^^

It's kind of interesting, I have heard very little bad about High-Points from the people that have them, and very little good from people that don't.

Personally, I think they are not particularly attractive, in addition to being quite large for the caliber, and very heavy.

I'm sure more members will come along and contribute to the bonfire.

JPeterson, I hope you are well stocked on flame retardant.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I love my Hi-Point 995 carbine. I think their handguns are built on the same mechanism, so shooting one is like one-handing a short-barreled rifle. If you are having fun at the range with it, enjoy. I wouldn't think to stake my life on it.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

$200 hammer.
    Taurahe and Secret Spuk like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

A 200$ hammer that shoots straight and I enjoy shooting. Ill take it ;)
    sensei2 and bombthrower77 like this.

VIP Member
    IIRC, the Highpoints use a blowback design, so they have a heavy slide for the larger calibers. Usually the blowbacks stop at the .380 if you want a reasonably weighted gun. Definitely not a carry gun. Some have claimed they are not reliable, others have had thousands or rounds through them without a hitch. But you hear that for about every mnfr...
    CJ_mp40c and sensei2 like this.

I have a whole safe full of $200 guns. A Ruger GP 100, Husqvarna 30.06, Marlin 336 in 35 Rem, and another one in 32 Win Spec., A couple of Colt Peacemaker clones in 44-40, a couple of Win. Ranger shotguns in 12, and 20 ga. Rossi pump .22, Savage .270, and I am sure a few others.

God, I miss having a pawn shop as a customer. There are guns worth buying at $200.

Whether a Highpoint is one of them is debatable. My experience with them, although somewhat limited, is that they work, but are very heavy and cumbersome, with a low round count for the size gun they are. If you just want a beater gun that you aren't going to carry, it might be worth it. If not, I would look elsewhere for something more practicle/useful.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Highpoint pistol= Turd.

If you believe otherwise you are deluding yourself.
    DaveInEdmonds and WHEC724 like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I never owned or fired their handguns but I have their 995TS carbine that goes bang every time I squeeze the trigger, is fairly accurate for a short barrel and cost less than $300. Probably fired 500 to 600 rounds thru it without a failure.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Highpoint pistol= Turd.

If you believe otherwise you are deluding yourself.
    And your experience is???

Here my highpoint experience... I paid $220 dollars for it NIB sveral years ago. I figured WTH, its cheap no biggie. Besides being hideous, its was heavy as a boat anchor. Took it home stripped it cleaned and took it to the range. !st mag...issues feeding every round, Swapped mags... same problem. Borrowed some mags from the range, found one that worked. Then it had issues with ejection, until the ejector broke clean off. Sent it back, got 2 new mags and ejector replaced..... took it out... still had jamming issues with mags. Finally said screw it , sold it and learned my lesson. Your 2oo bucks would be better spent on higher qaulioty firearm. And please, for the love of pete, DO NOT depend on this thing to protect yourself and your family with.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I have a whole safe full of $200 guns. A Ruger GP 100, Husqvarna 30.06, Marlin 336 in 35 Rem, and another one in 32 Win Spec., A couple of Colt Peacemaker clones in 44-40, a couple of Win. Ranger shotguns in 12, and 20 ga. Rossi pump .22, Savage .270, and I am sure a few others.

God, I miss having a pawn shop as a customer. There are guns worth buying at $200.

Whether a Highpoint is one of them is debatable. My experience with them, although somewhat limited, is that they work, but are very heavy and cumbersome, with a low round count for the size gun they are. If you just want a beater gun that you aren't going to carry, it might be worth it. If not, I would look elsewhere for something more practicle/useful.
    Well put. I have a Hi Point carine that has been great but I bought it as a plinker/trainer not a shtf go to gun. I would recommend to get one of them but now with the craze their prices have gone up like everything else. I have no experience with shooting a Hi Point pistol. I have felt a few at a Pawn Shop and Cabelas and they are brick like to say the least. They are a simple design that utilizes inexpensive build materials and poduction and would not be my first choice as a gun but if that was all that is available I guess I'd take it.

You will notice that most negative comments come from people who have never fired a Hi Point. If you have owned one and it was a lemon flame on. But if you have no experience with them just let those with experience comment on them.

I for one will bash Kel Tec any chance I get because of my experience with a POS PF9.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Yes it's ugly, yes it's a heavy. All things I pointed out in my initial post. And, as I said in my last line, if you're looking for a 40 cal to shoot at the range.......

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links