Speed Ledge: Thumbs forward grip assist

This is a discussion on Speed Ledge: Thumbs forward grip assist within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just saw this on Firearm Blog, seems like an interesting idea. New ?Speed Ledge? Promises Improved Recoil Control | The Firearm Blog It's funny ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bklynboy

Thread: Speed Ledge: Thumbs forward grip assist

I just saw this on Firearm Blog, seems like an interesting idea. New ?Speed Ledge? Promises Improved Recoil Control | The Firearm Blog

It's funny how paranoid we've become about how the ATF or the anti's react to every improvement in defensive gun features. As soon as I posted this, I began to wonder if ATF or the Anti's might construe the Speed Ledge as some sort of second grip on the pistol.
    RicT likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I saw this in a recent magazine - Handgunner maybe. I really don't understand the purpose of it though.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

It sounds like the purpose is for you to rest the thumb of your support hand on the 'ledge' that is shaped like a thumb safety so that you can exert downward pressure on the gun to counteract the recoil/muzzle rise. I was taught that if you use a proper Isosceles stance and grip, the large muscles in your chest and shoulders work like shock absorbers and do the same thing. I wonder, given how much more strength you have in your chest/shoulders than in your hand muscles, if the pressure of your support thumb on the ledge make any real difference.

Links