Need a refinish on a new gun

This is a discussion on Need a refinish on a new gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New Springfield 1911 (PX9109LP) that i have owned about 6 months but haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it. I love it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dangerranger

Thread: Need a refinish on a new gun

New Springfield 1911 (PX9109LP) that i have owned about 6 months but haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it. I love it or love the way it looks and feels in my hand. the only negative is the finish. I have done a lot of dry firing and the finish (black finish) is coming off. Now to my question. I have seen on gun forums where this is a problem with some gun finishes in this color and they strip the gun and put an new finish on themselves. Is this a pretty straight forward process and would it come out looking as good as a factory finish or just what am i going to be getting into? Any info on this situation would be appreciated
    thanks

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    That's really going to depend on you and the finish you choose. I have cold blued a couple of guns and was never happy with the finish. I have rust blued a couple and it takes forever, but I was very pleased with the result.

This was a very rusty Ruger single six. I chose a satin rust blue to hide some of the pitting that I was not able to remove. This was about seven years ago, and with daily use it still looks as good today as it did then. It is a tough finish. My next project is a 1911 for my son that he wants Dura Coated flat black. I need an air brush setup to do it right. So till I get the right setup his gun is cold blued. In about another month Ill bead blast it and finish it right.
    Another easy finish to do at home is black oxide or Parkerising. It can be done in black, grey, or green. It doesn't take much equipment to do a nice job, So home gunsmiths have been doing this for years.
    Post up a pic of yours and we can tell if your finish will be easy to duplicate or not. Good luck DR
    blitzburgh likes this.

Thanks dangerranger for your reply, pictures of your beautiful gun, all the time you put into replying to my thread and giving me some ideas.

swmshoot

Links