Gun ownership questions.

This is a discussion on Gun ownership questions. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've shot guns before, been through several safety course, etc...never owned one though. My dad isn't a gun owner, so I haven't been around guns ...

Thread: Gun ownership questions.

Gun ownership questions.

I've shot guns before, been through several safety course, etc...never owned one though. My dad isn't a gun owner, so I haven't been around guns my entire life like most southerners are.

I turn 16 in June, and when I get my license, I figure I can transport myself to a gun range easily enough.

HOWEVER...being a minor, am I even allowed by law to transport a gun, loaded or unloaded, AT ALL? Speaking of long guns here...from what I do understand, handguns are considered concealed weapons when carried in vehicles, and thus require a concealed carry license of some sort? Same thing for long guns? Is it worth my time to get one before I turn 18?

Thinking about a mossberg 500/590.

2. Remove Ads

I can't speak for transporting, but most ranges won't let a minor shoot without supervision.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    You cannot be in possession of a pistol until you are 18 in Alabama.

You can shoot on wildlife management ranges if you are 16 and older and in possession of a valid Alabama hunting license. You can transport an unloaded long gun in your trunk or otherwise unassessable to you in the vehicle if you are in possession of a hunting license and are on your way to/from lawfully hunt or to/from a range.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/images...5-12%20web.pdf
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Welcome to the forum Ralys! Sure is great to see younger people getting into firearms ownership and actually caring enough to inquire as to how to do it right and legally. There are some great people here on DC from your area that will help you out I'm sure with some local legalities but I just wanted to congratulate you on your mature approach to gun ownership and the responsibilities that come with it, having no prior experience or being taught by your dad. Never stop learning! And when you are old enough to have a family of your own, you're going to really enjoy passing down your experiences to your kids. Stay safe and again, welcome to DC from Northern California.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Moderator
    BTW you cannot buy a long gun until you are 18.

Hopes this answers your questions
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Welcome to DC.
    As far as pistols in a car, in many states it's true, unless the gun is locked in a case inaccessable to the driver or occupants you would need a concealed weapons permit. Also I would check federal laws regarding a minor in posession of a handgun. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to be at least 18, maybe even 21 unless with a guardian.
    I would discuss target practice with your father, perhaps it's something you two could learn and enjoy together.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I can't speak for transporting, but most ranges won't let a minor shoot without supervision.
    Hm, really? I could very easily be wrong, but I thought my scoutmaster had said something about a range I could go to by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You cannot be in possession of a pistol until you are 18 in Alabama.

You can shoot on wildlife management ranges if you are 16 and older and in possession of a valid Alabama hunting license. You can transport an unloaded long gun in your trunk or otherwise unassessable to you in the vehicle if you are in possession of a hunting license and are on your way to/from lawfully hunt or to/from a range.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/images...5-12%20web.pdf
    Thanks, man. What would it take for me to get a hunting license?

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Welcome to the forum Ralys! Sure is great to see younger people getting into firearms ownership and actually caring enough to inquire as to how to do it right and legally. There are some great people here on DC from your area that will help you out I'm sure with some local legalities but I just wanted to congratulate you on your mature approach to gun ownership and the responsibilities that come with it, having no prior experience or being taught by your dad. Never stop learning! And when you are old enough to have a family of your own, you're going to really enjoy passing down your experiences to your kids. Stay safe and again, welcome to DC from Northern California.
    I appreciate the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    BTW you cannot buy a long gun until you are 18.

Hopes this answers your questions
    Thanks, I'm aware of that. My question was more about the legality of transporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Welcome to DC.
    As far as pistols in a car, in many states it's true, unless the gun is locked in a case inaccessable to the driver or occupants you would need a concealed weapons permit. Also I would check federal laws regarding a minor in posession of a handgun. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to be at least 18, maybe even 21 unless with a guardian.
    I would discuss target practice with your father, perhaps it's something you two could learn and enjoy together.
    Yeah, I have. He's interested as well, but his current job is keeping him about two hours south of where we live for the weekdays, and I'm working weekends. So that would be the main reason I'm looking into going solo.

Senior Moderator
    Take a look at the hunting reg link I posted.

You have to take a hunters safety class and pass a test.

I'm old and they didn't require it for me when I got my hunting license

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Check ur local and state laws before doing anything.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Maybe you can get a "big brother" to take you shooting until you reach a legal age.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Links