Let son get trigger time tonight in the den.

This is a discussion on Let son get trigger time tonight in the den. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife has to renew her CHL this weekend during our class on Sat. and she hasn't shot in a while. So I get her ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By farronwolf
  • 2 Post By 4myfam

Thread: Let son get trigger time tonight in the den.

Let son get trigger time tonight in the den.

My wife has to renew her CHL this weekend during our class on Sat. and she hasn't shot in a while. So I get her CW9 and put some snap caps and the laserlyte in it so she can get a few trigger pulls. After a few pulls she said she was good.

My son (10) says, dad I want to try it. He has't ever shot the gun before, but what the heck why not let him try it out. Other than the TCP and PF9, the CW9 is the next smallest pistol we have. It has been a while since he has shot his Neos, so with a few corrections to his grip and arm position he starts to shoot at the stuff up on the mantle.

It didn't take him long to get the trigger down and except for a few pulls off, he was hitting pretty well what he was aiming at. Maybe next time we hit the range I will let him try a few off the bench.

I was glad to see him get so excited about being accurate with the laser. It definately is an inexpensive way to get some trigger time while sitting on the couch watching tv, and we didn't have to buy any new candles, knickknacks, or birds that were up on the mantle. They will be there for our next family range session in the den.
    4myfam and Snub44 like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

He got interest so I would show him, just make sure things are locked up when ur not around, curiosity is now a known thing with ur son which is natural.....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

He has been with us when shooting since before he could walk. He knows that unless we say it is ok, he doesn't touch any of the guns. Not much curiosity regarding guns for him, but unless the guns are on us, anything loaded is always in the safe.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Enjoyed your post, farronwolf.
    I've been working with my 10 year old son on gun safety and letting him practice dry fire with snap caps. He has been a great and enjoyable student. So a couple of weekends ago I surprised him by asking if he would actually like to shoot the gun. Well, we all know the answer to that question! Took him into the woods, set up a few soup cans on a log and paced off 21 feet. He verbally stated to me the safety rules, so I loaded the gun (PM9, fits his hands the best) with one round and let him have it. Bang, first shot ever with handgun and he knocks the can off the log. I load another round. Bang, second shot ever and he knocks the can off the log. I tell him, give me the gun back, your good!!! I put a sticky target on a pizza box and set it up at 21ft. This time I load the magazine full and tell him to have at it. By the end of the session he had shot 70 combined rounds with the PM9, 226 Sig 9MM, and P2000SK HK .40 and tore the targets and cans to pieces! The young fellow hit his targets about 70% of the time. Now that is a day he will ALWAYS remember, and so will I!
    First Sgt and Snub44 like this.

Links