What is a good price for ammunition?

This is a discussion on What is a good price for ammunition? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Everyone knows that there has been a "run" on ammo for a while now. I'm not interested in who you blame for the huge increase ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What is a good price for ammunition?

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

Everyone knows that there has been a "run" on ammo for a while now. I'm not interested in who you blame for the huge increase in ammo prices whether it be the Feds placing big orders or individuals buying everything they can find. Rather, given the current climate, at what price point are you willing to purchase. Here are my expected price points for the firearms I own...are they realistic (assuming standard "range" rounds and not hollow point or "exotic" rounds)?

.223/5.56: $.60/round
    .45 ACP: $.45/round
    9mm: $.30/round
    .22LR: $.05/round
    .357: $.45/round
    .38: $.35/round
    .308: $.75/round
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately not even close in the current market.

Not really no. Get in close with people at GOOD gun stores where they didn't jack up their prices and ask them to give you a call when something comes in.

I have a standing call request with a buddy whenever he sees stuff for the right price in a few calibers and I was able to get a 420rd can of xm855LC for right at 50 a round just a month ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

I'm paying almost exactly what the OP has listed. I'm getting 230 gr ball .45 ammo at about $.41 on the low side and $.45 on the high side. Scheel's has 500 round cases of ball .45 ACP for $200, a good price if you have the extra cash. In the last two weeks I've picked up 800 rounds of 9mm ball ammo; the first 600 were $.30 each and the other 200 were $.21 each (lucked into a new batch at WM). 12 ga 00 Buck is running around $.75 per round. The highest price I've paid for .22 ammo in the last few months was a nickel per round with the exception of the CCI Mini-Mags, but they've always been closer to $.06-.07 per round here. I don't have a .40 S&W right now but ball ammo (WWB) is running $38/100.

Presently, a good price comes down to this....... If you can find the ammunition you use and you can live with the price then that's a good price........

Right now I am getting 200 rounds of Remington .223 55gr. MC for $150.00 before the buy fever it was 200 for $100. Oh well......................
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Most of the ammo I see for sale is about double those prices.

10 cents for .22 and a buck a shot for everything else.

We have plenty on hand but have cut back on shooting. I had to qualify for a CCW last weekend after NV stopped honoring AZ permist, I hadn't shot in about 6 weeks. Muscle memory works, still shot a palm size group.

I took my sister to the range tonite so I had to break open my "stash." Surprisingly she shot way better than the did 15 years ago despite not shooting since then. It probably helped a bit having me coach her. I drew a picture of the proper sight picture which helped her a lot. She actually bought a range membership on the spot! She'll probably be cussing me out when she has to go buy ammo again!

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    Rather, given the current climate, at what price point are you willing to purchase. Here are my expected price points for the firearms I own...are they realistic (assuming standard "range" rounds and not hollow point or "exotic" rounds)?
    For myself: about ~$15-18/bx for a 50ct box of 9mm (about $0.36/rd), or ~$20-25 for a 50ct box of .380ACP (about $0.45/rd) ... plus shpg, if purchased online. Turns out it's quite a bit more, locally, and taxed as well, even if they happened to get any in.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just bought two 50-count boxes of WWB .45ACP at Walmart for $20 each.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've been getting 5.56 M193 for $8 a box lately. That's all they have, so that's all I buy!
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    I've been getting 5.56 M193 for $8 a box lately. That's all they have, so that's all I buy!
    A box of what, 3 rds?

VIP Member
    lionround likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Presently, a good price comes down to this....... If you can find the ammunition you use and you can live with the price then that's a good price........

Right now I am getting 200 rounds of Remington .223 55gr. MC for $150.00 before the buy fever it was 200 for $100. Oh well......................
    Yeah like most folks, I just buy what I really have to have and pay the price where and when I can get it. My shooting generally seems to follow present availability and has changed considerably. Now that its getting warmer and nice at the outdoor ranges, I expect my weekly allowance from "she who must be obeyed" will be expended on expendables.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Left Leg and First Born...

In all seriousness, I put a max of 50 cents per round on 9mm. If it is more, I let it pass. Otherwise, it could become a very expensive day at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    I put a max of 50 cents per round on 9mm. If it is more, I let it pass. Otherwise, it could become a very expensive day at the range.
    I've long since run through the many 2000rd cases I had purchased from a local shop, back when. Those ended up being about $0.06/rd, acquired in town (so no freight charges). *sigh*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links