Texas: Benefit of buying at a gun show???

This is a discussion on Texas: Benefit of buying at a gun show??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What are the benefits of buying a new gun at a gun show in Texas? For some reason, I was under the impression that a ...

Thread: Texas: Benefit of buying at a gun show???

What are the benefits of buying a new gun at a gun show in Texas? For some reason, I was under the impression that a gun show purchase helped keep your gun "off the radar" with the .gov's records? Or does this only apply to a personal sale.

I'm wanting to buy a new gun from a dealer and was considering a gun show instead of a gun store, but a friend of mine informed me that there's no difference.

Is there something different, or am I imagining things. Thanks!
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

VIP Member
    Same paper work at a gunshow as at the store. The gunshow is considered by BATFE to be an extension of the dealer's premises.

I think the big reason for shopping at a gunshow is the opportunity to comparison shop. You can see a wide variety of guns from a number of different dealers. Plus you will have individuals who have items for sale. There is the possibility of getting a better price at a gunshow. Especially if you know how to haggle and the same gun is at another dealers table for a lower price.

I'll put my words into practice here in an hour or so. I'm off to a gunshow.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Good hunting George!!!

Yep - the choice aspect is where a gunshow is useful - a chance to browse for different deals but no escaping the paperwork! Other biggie is ammo - reasonable deals to be found and - no shipping!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Best thing about a gunshow is the opprotunity to find rare items, and the occassional great deal.

I paid 445 for my .45XD last March....a full 125 or so under what theyre currently going for in stores... at the Amarillo Gun Show.

The main thing is to be aware of what the market price is on the guns you are interested in.

Ammo can also be found at good-to reasonable prices.
    Fear No Evil.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    off the radar is a private sale, assuming that's legal in your state.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Amen to all of the above picked up a NIB Ruger P345 at a gun show about 6 months ago for 363.00 Academy has the same firearm for 467.00.

No different

There is no such thing as 'The Gun Show Loophole'. Thats just more Brady Bunch lies.

If you see a private seller at the gunshow, there will be no paperwork in Texas. But, there would be no paperwork with a private seller outside of a gunshow either.

Gunshows tend to give good prices, but not always. I don't know where you are in Texas, but there is a pawn shop in Tomball that sells new firearms at very low prices. Cheaper than I saw at the Houston Gunshow.

For example, he was selling the Taurus 1911 for 449. Cheapest I saw at the gunshow was 479. My pal just bought a 45 XD from him for 440 or thereabouts. (it was four forty something).

What a Gunshow gives you is quality guy time and a huge choice. As well as helping you to discover new toys that you never knew you 'needed' until then!

Great. Thanks guys. If I can get them to lower the price to what I could get from a specific dealer at a gun show, I may just buy a certain pistol from my local gun shop instead.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Imho gunshows have become a " fondelers " market , its a place to go put hands on things your local shops dont stock , and if the price isnt objectionable by all means buy there .. Off the radar nope , its just a " mega mart" to play with stuff before you order or buy . You may well find a bargan there , but dont count on it , and dealers dont sell cheaper just to pay for thier table at the show bud ... go look , handle the guns as per the dealers rules ( ask before you toutch every time ) and use it as a tool to rule inn or rule out a gun based on what you " feel " not what you see in a pic or read online .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

By their nature, bargains tend to be rare. However and at least at many of the DFW area gun shows, prices are slightly less than at the dealer's shop, but not always. However, since you get to sample from so many dealers at one place, you can cover a lot of geographic territory (actual distribution of dealer shops) in a smaller locality (the gun show).

While bargains tend to be more rare, there are often still lots of pretty good deals at gun shows, often better than in shops, even if they are not bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    There is no such thing as 'The Gun Show Loophole'. Thats just more Brady Bunch lies.

If you see a private seller at the gunshow, there will be no paperwork in Texas. But, there would be no paperwork with a private seller outside of a gunshow either.

Gunshows tend to give good prices, but not always. I don't know where you are in Texas, but there is a pawn shop in Tomball that sells new firearms at very low prices. Cheaper than I saw at the Houston Gunshow.

For example, he was selling the Taurus 1911 for 449. Cheapest I saw at the gunshow was 479. My pal just bought a 45 XD from him for 440 or thereabouts. (it was four forty something).

What a Gunshow gives you is quality guy time and a huge choice. As well as helping you to discover new toys that you never knew you 'needed' until then!
    +1 on Tomball Pawn. I have bought two pistols from them and the prices were really reasonable compared to what I have seen at gun shows and other dealers.

well instead of say 3-5 gun stores competing for business in my area, you have 100 or more stores under one roof competing. so prices tend to be a little lower and with any hobby every little bit helps. plus I've met a lot of good people at the shows.

Links