.50 cal on 60 minutes this Sunday

This is a discussion on .50 cal on 60 minutes this Sunday within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have no idea what they are panning but I bet it won't be good, I just saw a 15 second promo about the banning ...

I have no idea what they are panning but I bet it won't be good, I just saw a 15 second promo about the banning of the .50 in California. They mentioned it was legal in the other 49 states. I bet there will be an outcry to have it banned in all 50

VIP Member
    Originally posted by silvercorvette
    I have no idea what they are panning but I bet it won\'t be good, I just saw a 15 second promo about the banning of the .50 in California. They mentioned it was legal in the other 49 states. I bet there will be an outcry to have it banned in all 50
    Hmmm. what could 60 minutes be planning. Well they\'ll likely demonstrate how it can shoot down an airliner with a single shot, how it can defeat body armor at 1 mile, how it can shoot through a building and anything else they can do to make people fear it. However, they will not let any facts get in the way of their \"story\".

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Scott

Hmmm. what could 60 minutes be planning. Well they\'ll likely demonstrate how it can shoot down an airliner with a single shot, how it can defeat body armor at 1 mile, how it can shoot through a building and anything else they can do to make people fear it. However, they will not let any facts get in the way of their \"story\".
    I\'m sure they will and millions will believe it....

Saw it, typical anti gun crap. One good point was that one of the guys who sells the rifle was pretty adamant about reminding everyone that it is \"ILLEGAL\" to shoot at planes! And to enforce the laws already on the books instead of making more.

Managed to see it and simply more of same piled higher and deeper.(PHD) The anti-guy was spouting how it could be used against aircraft and no one needs or should own one of these blah blah blah. The inventer and mfg of the 50 cal gun was straight foreward just presenting the facts, not trying to say everyone needs it, he was level headed about all the twisting questions by the 60min people.
    Then they get the cops involved and show how it will shoot right thru steel, yes a nasty device indeed. Sigh, of course here in CA they are banned!!

How about the new S&W 500? That is a .50 caliber handgun. Is it also banned in CA?

nighthawk-handguns allowed in California are published by the DOJ. To be on the list they must pass through a lab approved by CA DOJ. So in a long winded way you can see the keep out signs for handguns not approved by the DOJ.

NightHawk-Boy was I wrong!!! Went to the gun store today and right there in the case is a S&W .50 handgun, could not believe it. My thoughts were Oh God I gave bad info to a guy, I am sorry about that. I don\'t know how its handled but there it was. :P

VIP Member
    IIRC California banned firearms chambered for the 50 BMG specifically. So the S&W 500 magnum is ok. Given what a 500 magnum costs I imagine it was worth it to S&W to pay the $3K and destroy three of them in the CA DOJ test lab.

I\'d like to see someone claim that the 500 mag could shoot down a jetliner with a single shot. I\'d have to buy one just so I could tell people that.

Links