I have lost my Shield .40 love!

This is a discussion on I have lost my Shield .40 love! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, last Saturday at the range, my Shield had a "failure to feed" problem. The tip of the bullet stuck on the edge of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I have lost my Shield .40 love!

I have lost my Shield .40 love!

Well, last Saturday at the range, my Shield had a "failure to feed" problem. The tip of the bullet stuck on the edge of the feed ramp. At first, I thought it was me (even though this has never happened before and my brother even had it happen to him also). I assumed I was "limp-wristing" it. Today, however, I cannot chamber a round. The slide will not close all the way...... "not going into batter" I think is the term. I'm gonna call S&W tomorrow........ Has anyone ever had this happen? Did you get your gun fixed? I'll be getting my CC permit in a couple of week, but this gun has to be fixed. I'm gonna get a revolver.
    gregnsc likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Re: I have lost my Shield .40 love!

I had a light strike problem with a sig p290 and promptly sold it and got a revolver. Hope you get your shield fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Bek,i sent a 380 bodyguard back to S&W,this past Dec.It was minor warranty work.Before i did anything,i talked to a rep,and then i emailed S&W with my problem.A couple of days later,i got an email,with a shipping label.I was told to box it up,use label and take it to Fedex,and be sure to tell them it was a firearm.Fedex driver's cant accept firearms,(i guess they do, if you have an FFL,i don't),but they are allowed to deliver it.It was my 1st time,ever sending one back,to S&W.It didn't take long and i didn't pay anything.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BekahM View Post
    a "failure to feed" problem. The tip of the bullet stuck on the edge of the feed ramp.

Today, however, I cannot chamber a round. The slide will not close all the way...... "not going into batter"
    Any gun can have issues. Any particular example of a given gun can have issues. And those issues have a fair likelihood of being resolvable, particularly if the make/model of gun is well-known for reliability.

Lots of unknowns here (at least to us):

• How many rounds through the gun, so far?
    • Were the rounds that stuck FMJ, JHP, other (LFN, SWC, etc)?
    • After how many rounds from the most-recent cleaning were these problems? Did the second problem of FTF occur after a cleaning?
    • Does the problem occur frequently enough to gauge whether it happens on various magazines, or is it tied to one magazine only?
    • On this specific gun, are you saying you've had other folks experience the same issue (or was this on other similar make/model guns)?

One thing I've learned is that many guns have a serious break-in period. It may be that not all examples of the given make/model of gun require it, but often a given gun just isn't bomb-proof until it's been 'round the dance floor a few times. On several of my pistols, it has been 300-500rds or more prior my seeing flawless (or near-flawless) behavior. On others (Kahrs, notably, every one of them I've owned) hundreds to thousands of rounds never did cure all feed/cycling issues.

In some cases, it varied noticeably by ammo used. In the case of a couple of CZ P-01's, the sweet spot is the DoubleTap 9mm JHP 124gr +P round, which is markedly longer (OAL) than every other round I've tried in them; and, this round is practically practically error-free). Point is, you might well have a particular Shield that much prefers a particular type of ammo more than others, due to the particular tolerances in that gun. Hard to know, without more testing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1102 View Post
    I had a light strike problem with a sig p290 and promptly sold it and got a revolver. Hope you get your shield fixed.
    I was already gonna get a little .38 revolver for summer carry........ At least I know that a revolver will ALWAYS go bang when I need it too....... And I'm a pretty good shot with my mom's.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    Bek,i sent a 380 bodyguard back to S&W,this past Dec.It was minor warranty work.Before i did anything,i talked to a rep,and then i emailed S&W with my problem.A couple of days later,i got an email,with a shipping label.I was told to box it up,use label and take it to Fedex,and be sure to tell them it was a firearm.Fedex driver's cant accept guns(i guess they do, if you have an FFL,i don't),but they are allowed to deliver it.It was my 1st time,ever sending one back,to S&W.It didn't take long and i didn't pay anything.Good luck.
    I'm sure S&W will fix it, I'm just not sure I want to trust it again for my ccw.

I still love my .40 Shield, carry it daily, and shoot it at least every 2 weeks. Well over 1,000 rounds through it of many brands without problems. Of course, I did get off to a rough start with that gun due to the magazine drop problem then a few months later, a rolled pin working it's way out. Sent back to S&W both times and had it back in about 2 weeks. No problems since.

I also have the 9mm Shield and have had no problems with it as yet. I actually find that I like the .40 better than the 9mm. If my wife doesn't take the 9mm I will probably sell it.
    MJClark likes this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Shields failing to go into battery or dropping out of battery while holstered with a round chambered was a well publicized topic summer and fall of 2012.
    I hoped Smith would have fixed this issue, but it appears maybe not. Is your Shield a recent purchase, or have you had it a while?

Never give up on a gun until it gets back from service. Shoot it like crazy when it gets back, and then judge whether you are ready to throw it to the curb.
    A couple of my favorite guns had failures and were sent back for service and have been 100 percent since. Smith & Wesson has excellent customer service, and
    will fix your gun on their dime. Give it a chance.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Thanks for the encouragement. I really love everything about the gun and I know that S&W has excellent customer service and will fix it, it's just a bit nerv-racking to me for it to be my carry gun that's acting up. I don't have the funds for more than one carry gun right now (I can't seem to hide my Highpoint .45 and it doesn't fit in my glove box ), so I just want to know that when I need it, it will work flawlessly. I'm sure after getting it back and shooting it, I'll get my confidence in it back..... but thats gonna have to be a lot of rounds through it before that happens.

so I just want to know that when I need it, it will work flawlessly.
    An opportunity to focus on those tap/rack/bang drills.

I'm sure S&W will make it right.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    An opportunity to focus on those tap/rack/bang drills.
    Lol......your probably right!

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    At least I know that a revolver will ALWAYS go bang when I need it too.......
    Tell that to 2 Taurus revolvers people lent me at the range to test out...

bekahm next time don't be so fast to send off your pistols. Learn to think thru a problem first.

You did not answer how many rounds were fired and what brand. FMJ and HP. Could have been a like or dislike of a brand or bullet type. The smaller a handgun gets the pickier they can be with ammo. Allways have 2 different quality ammo brands to try. leave the econ ammo till after you know it works. What may not work now in a new pistol may run fine 200 rounds later too.

VIP Member
    20 years in the software industry have taught me not to be an 'early adopter'.

Most new mechanical designs take some time to work the bugs out.
    Taurahe and MrsHB like this.

While it sucks, I think it would premature to write off the shield altogether. It is a proven platform. Even glocks have issues from time to time. Send it in, give SW an opportunity to take care of the problem. They have excellent customer service. I understand your need for a good carry gun, but I will say from first hand experience, revolvers are not infallible, and believing so could prove a costly mistake.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I was talking with a guy who had the same issue and it was driving him crazy. I ran into him again and inquired about it in passing and apparently he got it fixed and has put several hundred rounds down range without any issues at all. We were both going opposite directions, so he did not get into all the details, but I think he mentioned something about the recoil spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links