Bill would ban lead ammunition in California

This is a discussion on Bill would ban lead ammunition in California within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Conclusion: Kids in California should quit eating the remains of animals left by hunters, Condors, Eagles and turkey vultures in order to avoid lead poisoning. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Bill would ban lead ammunition in California

Conclusion: Kids in California should quit eating the remains of animals left by hunters, Condors, Eagles and turkey vultures in order to avoid lead poisoning.

http://news.yahoo.com/bill-ban-lead-...152037842.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Environmentalists are pushing legislation to ban lead ammunition in California to prevent toxins from poisoning scavengers that eat animal remains left by hunters.

Final language of the bill was introduced Monday by Assembly Member Anthony Rendon, D-Lakewood, who said the legislation would remove a lingering source of pollution from the environment. It was sponsored by three major environmental groups — Defenders of Wildlife, Audubon California, and the Humane Society of the United States.

"There really is no question that lead ammo is a threat," said Kim Delfino of Defenders of Wildlife. "To pass a bill in California would set the stage for this happening throughout the country, the way low-emissions vehicle standards changed the market nationwide."

Lead is a neurotoxin that has thwarted efforts to restore endangered California condors to their historic habitat. It's the major cause of death for condors and affects other scavengers such as bald eagles, golden eagles and turkey vultures.

Opponents of restrictions on ammunition purchases argue that animals that suffer from lead poisoning could be getting it from another source. They cite the fact that incidences of poisoning have not declined despite a ban since 2008 on the use of lead ammunition in the eight-county area where condor recovery is under way.

The National Rifle Association has opposed all bans on lead ammo in the past. The gun rights group has dismissed studies from the University of California, Davis and the University of California, Santa Cruz that show poisonings of birds of prey are highest during hunting seasons and that the lead isotopes in their bloodstreams match ammunition. The NRA says those studies are flawed.

NRA officials did not immediately return telephone messages seeking comment on the new bill.

Studies have shown that nonlead ammunition fires as accurately, but in some calibers it is more expensive than bullets made of lead. Proponents of the ban argue that as nonlead ammo becomes more popular with hunters, the prices will continue to decrease.

The bill comes as a subcommittee of the California Fish and Game Commission is studying whether to institute a ban statewide.
    "The commission has looked at the lead issue for years," said Michael Sutton, the department's president. "Should we ban it on state lands, ecological areas and preserves? For all hunting statewide? I'm not going to hazard a guess as to what the commission will do."

Bill supporters, including pediatrician Richard Pan, D-Sacramento, say lead shot in animals consumed by humans is a public health issue because it puts children at risk of brain damage.

"We don't have to choose between hunting and protecting wildlife," said Jennifer Fearing of the Humane Society of the United States. "Removing lead from the environment isn't just good science. It's also the right thing to do."
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I like animals but this is one radical organization that will never get a penny from me.

Humane Society of the United States Background, Funding, Controversies

Bill supporters, including pediatrician Richard Pan, D-Sacramento, say lead shot in animals consumed by humans is a public health issue because it puts children at risk of brain damage.
    I grew up consuming wild game, we at least had enough sense to remove the shot before eating it, is that absent now??.
    mulle46 and BigStick like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The bill is a bunch of crap. The deal here is that the people who come up with these "sky is falling" fallacies think that if they get rid of everything then all creatures will live forever. Some day these same people will be looking at one another from their hospital beds, lying there dying of nothing.

And trust me, steel shot is NOT popular among waterfowl hunters....It sucks!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Perhaps depleted uranium bullets???? I grew up eating game also from small to large and we didnt eat the shot or the bullets either. Little did I know that my family and msgt/ret s family were ahead of our time and California hunters as well by removing the shot or bullets and hence no brain damage

Apparently the law makers in Cali came from hunting families though where they ate the shot and got brain damage.
    Explains alot of present day Cali legislators positions
    blitzburgh and BigStick like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Perhaps depleted uranium bullets???? I grew up eating game also from small to large and we didnt eat the shot or the bullets either. Little did I know that my family and msgt/ret s family were ahead of our time and California hunters as well by removing the shot or bullets and hence no brain damage

Apparently the law makers in Cali came from hunting families though where they ate the shot and got brain damage.
    Explains alot of present day Cali legislators positions
    The people who come up with these laws have never hunted in their lives so they don't know that you don't eat the shot. But I'm sure they've eaten their fair share of paint chips when they were kids.
    msgt/ret and Ghost1958 like this.

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have a few cases of incandescent bulbs, 400 Lbs of lead, 30 gallons of R-12 refrigerant, and a lot of other goodies from out-of-state stored in various places. Go ahead, make me profitable.
    mprp, msgt/ret, NONAME762 and 1 others like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

LOL @ this thread.

Okay, for any idiot California liberal surfing the net and now freaking out over this thread, let me give you some advice:

1. What you are reading here is called humor. We know that you're claiming the lead from the buckshot gets into the water ground and water stream - though when led rounds are banned and the lead levels are still high (as in a few counties), it's pretty bogus anyway.

2. It helps to read this kind of humor when you're not smoking your "medical" marijuana.

3. Speaking of which, I wonder how many chemicals medical marijuana is releasing into the air compared to how much lead is being released into the soil. Hmm.
    mprp likes this.

Just more libtard morons trying to make up more stupid rules.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    I have a few cases of incandescent bulbs, 400 Lbs of lead, 30 gallons of R-12 refrigerant, and a lot of other goodies from out-of-state stored in various places. Go ahead, make me profitable.
    I have a small stash of those awful incandescent light bulbs too. Tho unlike the florescent bulbs the old fashioned bulbs don't poison the landfills with MERCURY.

Put that in your pot pipe and toke it you PETA maggots. And how come you never throw paint on Bikers?? Are they afraid Bikers would kick their worthless butts into soy tofu rice cakes??
    msgt/ret and mprp like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

During a trip to the Bay Area I obviously went to SF. What trip to SF would be complete without a stop to china town? Well just about everything you pick up there has a warning on it saying product made with lead. Clearly CA doesn't care that much about lead, unless it is to further their liberal attack on gun owners.

San Jose is also a place to visit if you love burritos like I do. There is a place there called iguana Iguanas - San Jose, CA that makes a 3 lb 18" burrito and it is one of the best I have ever had lol.

...........I wish there was decent burrito places around my area.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    During a trip to the Bay Area I obviously went to SF. What trip to SF would be complete without a stop to china town? Well just about everything you pick up there has a warning on it saying product made with lead. ...
    And you didn't see any California Condors in downtown SF either, did you. Because you know, if it wasn't for all of the lead from us hunters, the skies would be black like a bat cave with California Condors, Bald Eagles and everything else, like in a Disney musical cartoon.

OMG these concrete and asphalt dwelling pukes make me sick! They're the same pieces of garbage that drive around in an extremely out of tune, oil leaking 1960's VW "PEACE" bus that's smoking like a forest fire, choking everyone out behind them and then looking at others like THEY'RE the idiots because they're driving an SUV or Hummer and chose "plastic" in the grocery store line instead of paper. Which paper by the way is what they use for their "SAVE OUR FORESTS" signs, with the wooden sticks for handles.

Now, if you all don't mind I'm going to close my eyes and say a few words...-earthquake earthquake earthquake.....-
    BigStick likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Not meaning to derail the topic, but its getting bad. If you like to read, you have to bring your own light bulbs to California Hotels now. They all have these 15 watt corkscrews now. I make a point of complaining about them and comment on the hotel broker sites i use..
    Back on topic, I may have to look into jacket swaging equipment or copper electroplating for home-cast bullets. Hows that help the environment?
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Re: Bill would ban lead ammunition in California

So if there banning lead ammo and solid copper and steel core ammo are "armor piercing" and banned what's left to shoot? Alluminum bullets? (I know they didn't ban solid copper but you know its on its way)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Too bad the "scavengers" in Sacramento don't come down with a case of lead poisoning. Of course I would not be endorsing the accute kind, but I would bet that as indicated by others, they have eaten a few paint chips or the like.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by diver1102 View Post
    So if there banning lead ammo and solid copper and steel core ammo are "armor piercing" and banned what's left to shoot? Alluminum bullets? (I know they didn't ban solid copper but you know its on its way)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    That's the next bill. Just like bloom-nanny and his soda ban that got stopped
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links