How many rounds of .22 will you be satisfied with?

This is a discussion on How many rounds of .22 will you be satisfied with? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; About half of my collection is .22's. I think they are a fun to shoot and generally very inexpensive to feed. (there was a time ...

View Poll Results: How many rounds of .22 rimfire do you intent to have on hand?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • <500

18 9.63%
  • 500-1K

26 13.90%
  • 1K-2.5K

53 28.34%
  • 2.5K-5K

39 20.86%
  • 5K-10K

26 13.90%
  • 10K-20K

10 5.35%
  • 20K-40K

3 1.60%
  • 40K-60K

3 1.60%
  • 60k-100K

2 1.07%
  • >100K

7 3.74%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How many rounds of .22 will you be satisfied with?

Sponsor

About half of my collection is .22's. I think they are a fun to shoot and generally very inexpensive to feed. (there was a time when I was a bit younger where a .22 just wasn't cool enough, but luckily I've matured past that point). .22 has always been my backup plan, but sadly my plan has failed (I do have enough to meet my immediate needs, but I really don't like that I can't replace what I have).

So, how many rounds of .22 would you like to have to be comfortable? By that I mean feel like you are fully equipped to weather market changes?

Thanks!
    Clay

I am not currently shooting any of my .22 ammo. I am standing pat on my little inventory. If we were not going through this current shortage of ammo available to buy off the shelf, I would be satisfied with what I have right now.

However, if the shortage continues, I am likely to add ammo purchases, as it becomes available and only shoot sparingly.

So, for me, this is not purely a numbers game; it is a matter of whether .22 ammo is easily and readily available.

VIP Member
    I shoot very little .22, so my supply is only a few hundred rounds.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Should have 5-10k ( would like to have on hand). It is my practice ammo for me and the wife. I got her doing Appleseeds and that cost 300-400 rounds per day. I like to shoot it up in the pistols also. Right now can't find the stuff!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I voted 1000-2500

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't want to have to "stockpile." I want to be able to walk into a GS and pick up a few boxes of ammo whenever I need to and will not be satisfied until I can. I guess I'll have to wait until everyone decides to stop stockpiling. This insanity is self-generated.
    bigmacque, RickyD, JDE101 and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I generally buy by the case. 5000rounds but havent for a bunch of years. The last time I got some it was $100 a case for PMC target. The other day at a gun show they were getting $35-$50 for a brick. Im not gona pay that price.
    84160 and tony1990 like this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I am baffled by the .22 shortage. Of all rounds, that shouldn't be unavailable, yet due to panic buying -- and the fact that it was relatively inexpensive and therefore the bulk of what panic buyers purchased -- no one can get much that's reasonable now. We need to back off the panic buying and let the manufacturers catch up. If the numbers I've seen and heard are correct, that there are literally a billion rounds of .22 produced in this country every year, then there's no reason for this lack of inventory other than panic purchases.

I'd like to keep 500 to 1000 rounds around all the time, and right now I'm at the high end of that range and don't feel uncomfortable shooting some. Some does mean not nearly what I used to shoot though, which was typically 200 to 300 on any given day at the range, knowing I could pop in some where and pick up the replacements on the way home.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Counted 'em yesterday...over 3750 rounds. ;)

Maybe I was lucky, some of it's two and three years old. I'd buy a brick here and a brick there thinking I was going to shoot more than I did. Half my guns are 22's also. It's my favorite round, to be honest.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Like to keep a couple of bricks around but now would just like to find any.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Since I have 21 grand kids and 9 Great mine is insatiable!
    bigmacque and scgunlover1 like this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I would love to have a couple thousand rounds of 22lr on hand. IMHO; the humble 22lr is one of the most under rated rounds out there. Not only are they fun to shoot, but everyone from young children to the elderly & infirmed can usually handle a small 22lr. I've effectively hunted squirrels, rabbits & coyote with them; and a 22 revolver has saved by butt in a SD situation more than once!

If & when S does HTF, you can bet my 22 rifle will be at the TOP of my "Must Have" firearms list!

-

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Lets not forget the story of the 90+ year old man that shot and killed an intruder with one shot from a .22 rifle, either. He hit the guy, the guy took off with his friend, and died within blocks of the shooting as his heart bled out -- the old guy hit him with pinpoint accuracy, something that's not hard to maintain with a .22 rifle.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I have roughly 2k on hand. I generally like to keep about 1k for every firearm I have. 10/22 and blackwidow so 2k. cci mini lr=1000. cci hv=200. cci lr 500 and the rest is rem .22 mag. the black widow has both .22 cylinders.

Finally found a 525 box of Blazer yesterday and was allowed to actually buy it. I was very happy with that amount, wished I had more but I was happy. I had not seen a box of 22 LR that was for sale in 2 months.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links