Hey guys, tell me about 3030 rifles

This is a discussion on Hey guys, tell me about 3030 rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in the market for a 3030 rifle. I saw a marlin 336 (may or may not have said 336 that is just the numbers ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Hey guys, tell me about 3030 rifles

Hey guys, tell me about 3030 rifles

I'm in the market for a 3030 rifle. I saw a marlin 336 (may or may not have said 336 that is just the numbers that came to mind) I think at Walmart for $356 and thought of getting it. I don't know anything about the 3030 round or rifles that shoot them and figured I would ask those of you who have them.

Will be buying for general purpose, just to have and shoot. May hunt with it one day who knows. I've heard good things about the marlin 3030 though and am leaning towards it.

2. Remove Ads

30/30 is a good rifle caliber. While its not the long range whitetail getter some calibers are its an excellant 100 to 200 yard deer rifle. The rifle that won the west. Very versatile. Good brush gun. Lever action can be fast once your good with it. Reload is slow. Marlin is a good rifle and Henry. For an all around shooter, hunter, varmint getter, SD rifle you could do much much worse than a good 30/30
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    While the Winchester is the classic, myself I chose the Marlin 336 due to ease of scope mounting. The Marlin ejects from the side allowing for mounting of a scope directly atop the receiver. The Winchester is a top ejector necessitating an offset and higher scope mount. If just using open sights both are fine weapons and will serve you well.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

One of the most overlooked and under-rated guns around today. About the only ammo available in most LGS that I have visited in the last few weeks.
    I love the lever action, not as fast as a semi-auto but about the same as a pump and better than a bolt. The tube feed magazine does not hold 30 rounds but can't get lost either. Can't be reloaded as fast as a removable magazine but there is no extra cost either.
    They are as cool, or more so than an "assault" rifle but don't have a negative image yet. Who can dis John Wayne?

BTW, mine is a Winchester 1894, 30-30. ;)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

im thinkin about getting one also. i like the mossberg tactical model
    mano3 likes this.

I have a Winchester 94 with the older top eject (newer ones have angle eject that is more scope friendly). The downside for my rifle is a good scope mount. I had a side mount that I never liked much and removed this year for deer hunting. My dad has a Marlin 336C and likes it better than the Winchester. He feels the action is sturdier (I find it slower). Both are great rifles that shoot well and will last a long time.

I have been reading more and more about the Mossberg 464 series lever action rifles. They definitely have a lot of configurations. Reviews have been good. I would personally like to see and shoot one before buying, but have the feeling it is just as good as the Winchester or Marlin (possibly better if you want to Tac it out). Mossberg & Sons | .30-30 WIN

The best thing is that the ammo is still readily available and hasn't taken a huge price hit (yet). So, it is easy to stock up and practice. They're small rifles that are pretty light and easy to handle. Not bad at all for many possible scenarios.

The Marlin is also pre drilled on the reciever to accept the Lyman reciever sights which are very good sights. Then you will have two different sight systems, for a back up. Cant go wrong with the Marlin, although I still like the Winchester.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The Winchester is my sentimental favorite but I have to say that the Marlin is easier for me to shoot well. I've only owned Winchesters though. Shot others Marlins, both scoped and unscoped and found that they generally are more accurate off of the bench rest than the average Winchester 94 carbine. The Marlin Model 336 also handles recoil better than the Winchester Model 94 in my view.

I look at the .30-30 as a fully high-powered rifle cartridge. So do deer-sized animals apparently. I've take 5 deer with a .30-30 rifle over the years and they drop just as readily as they do with more powerful cartridges. Don't much think that a person could examine a series of rifle-shot deer carcasses that included one taken with the .30-30 and tell which among them it was.

It's not so bad as a longer range cartridge either if one is willing to learn his rifle and load. While the longest shot I have made on a deer was 120 yards or so I have used the cartridge on targets out to 350 yards. Repeated hits on the upper portions of man-sized rocks are easy with the .30-30. I've only ever used .30-30s with open sights but a scoped .30-30 would be a fearsome thing.

I like the cartridge best with 170 gain bullets.

That Mossberg tactical lever-action may be useful but it is an offense to the eye, whew!
    gasmitty and 10thmtn like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    im thinkin about getting one also. i like the mossberg tactical model
    As the owner of a pre 64 model 94 this should be heresy, but it's kind of a neat gun in a gimmicky way. That thing is crazy light too. Which may be good or bad. I've never shot one. But a buddy brought one by a week or so ago. It was a little nicer than I expected. I couldn't help but laugh at the stupid looking thing though. Man it's ugly.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Funny you should ask...I have the Marlin 336SS in 30-30 and it's a fine rifle. Not much beats a 30-30 for brush hunting or perimeter protection.
    I put a Leopold scope on mine. This is my 3rd or 4th lever action 30-30...having bought and sold several down thru the years. This last purchase is going to be handed down to my 'next of kin'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    I love my .30-30
    dV8r likes this.

The 30-30 is roughly ballistically equivalent to a 7.62x39. The lever action is a great platform and can be worked very quickly. Everyone should treat themselves to a lever action.
    dV8r and Sky Pilot like this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I just recently purchased a Marlin 336 manufactured in 1982, it has the straight stock, (I like the look). I am very happy with this rifle and am presently looking for a 3x9x40 scope for it. My eyes are to old for iron sights I guess. All in all a very nice gun..

post.jpg
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Well cared for marlin 336 will last a life time and more. They are affordable and as good as it gets.
    When My second son left home one of the rifles that left here with him was a 336, and he was allowed to take what ever he wanted.

Have had at least one .30-30 around here for many years and having added an SKS back in the mid 1990s. I'm going to say that, after shooting both over the chronograph and using both cartridges, that the .30-30 handily whips the 7.62X39. One may gain a couple hundred fps velocity over 7.62X39 load when using the light 125 grain bullets in the .30-30 and have the added bonus of using heavier 150 grain and 170 grain bullets, weights that would make the 7.62X39 choke up.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links