Rethinking the 35 Rem

This is a discussion on Rethinking the 35 Rem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After my dad passed away, I collected his fire arms and they now reside at my place. To be honest, they're not really mine, I ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 3 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By Cook74

Thread: Rethinking the 35 Rem

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Rethinking the 35 Rem

After my dad passed away, I collected his fire arms and they now reside at my place. To be honest, they're not really mine, I just feel like I'm keeping them for a while. In any case, all of them were in the safe as expected but for one that I found in the basement. A new 7mm-08 that he had bore sighted, as best I can tell. But I was mystified by the absence of a Sears and Roebuck 35 Rem lever action. If I'm not mistaken, these guns are actually a Marlin 336. He bought this in the 50's and it always sat next to a single shot 12 gauge tucked back in the closet when I was a kid. I couldn't imagine that he'd traded it but it was nowhere to be found. More than a year had passed and I was helping Mom clean out the basement a bit. I found the 35 in a case, back in the crawl space. After a bit of cleaning it looks like its 50 years younger than it actually is. I believe it was his last ditch rifle.

After 55 years, I finally took it out last Sunday. I had a make shift bench and target behind the pond dam set up at about 75 yards from some shooting the day before. The 35 has some excellent iron sights but I can't remember the mfg off the top of my head. I put 3 down range and both the zero and the group were excellent. Perfect in fact. And that little rifle delivers enough punch to make you realize that you're not plinking. It doesn't stack up to a 300 Win Mag for recoil, but it tells you that you're pushing a chunk of lead.

I've been doing my reading on the caliber and I've come to realize that I have sorely underestimated this rifle over the years. I'm quickly becoming a fan of the rifle and the 35 Rem caliber. It's fairly formidable within its boundaries, which are reasonably flexible based on the shooter. I understand that the 30 30 is the most common lever action out there, but I think I'm gonna stick with the 35. This one may well become my own rather than one that I'm just holding onto for the owner's return. But I do wish I could tell him that I've discovered what he'd quietly known for years.
    bmcgilvray, msgt/ret and Snub44 like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The 35 Rem is an excellent round for deer and black bear expected to be found in th lower 48. Why it never caught on better than it did is a mystery to me. Maybe the "thutty-thutty" sounded more cowboy?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

There ain't no flys on the 35. And sometimes, it's fun to break away from the crowd and enjoy something not as common.

The 35 Rem has always been on my mind as a potential next buy. I have a 356 Winny, and 307, which are oddballs to some but I like them.

Your father had good judgement choosing a versatile gun like a 35 lever.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The .35 is a good medium range, medium game round. It will get the job done with ease.

Senior Moderator
    I'll take a .35 Rem any day of the week over a .30-30.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've long wanted a .35 Remington to play with. It looks as if it'd be fun to handload for. I'd consider it to be a distinct step up from the .30-30. Ought to be a deer-gittn' daddy! There are some neato classic .35 Remington rifles out there. I'd like to have a Remington Model 8 though a good used Marlin Model 336 would probably be the very best way to play with the cartridge. Maybe one will happen along one of these days.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I think limiting shots to 100-200 yards the 35 Remington would work fine on elk also.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've long wanted a .35 Remington to play with. It looks as if it'd be fun to handload for. I'd consider it to be a distinct step up from the .30-30. Ought to be a deer-gittn' daddy! There are some neato classic .35 Remington rifles out there. I'd like to have a Remington Model 8 though a good used Marlin Model 336 would probably be the very best way to play with the cartridge. Maybe one will happen along one of these days.
    One of my hunting buddies back east is simply a magnet for people getting rid of old guns, and he wound up with two Model 8s. What a blast to shoot! As I recall it's a long-recoil gun (like the Browning Auto 5), and repeat shots have a brief pause as the action cycles. That same action makes for some pretty mild recoil, too.

Back on topic, if my 336 (a serendipitous gun show find) had been chambered in .35 instead of .30-30, it still would have come home with me.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

...35's a great brush gun...gettin' like hen's teeth...hang onto it!!!

It was good then, even better now. Try some Hornady Lever Ammo in 35 Rem. you will not be disappointed.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra45 View Post
    It was good then, even better now. Try some Hornady Lever Ammo in 35 Rem. you will not be disappointed.
    I've got some reloads in the Hornady. I haven't played with them yet. I know, I know, they're made to stack in that magazine, but it sure seems weird. So you haven't blown up yet? Guess not, you're still reporting in.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    My brother has been plunking deer for 25 years with a Remington 7600 in .35 Rem. It is darn near perfect for such use. It is a big hunk of lead at moderate velocity with not too much recoil. In the Eastern half of the US it just about perfect.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Love my Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. She has the OEM scope and I have it zeroed in at 100 yds.

Shoots sweet and I just love lever actions... BTW, she was born in '72...

marlin336left.JPGmarlin336rgt.JPGmarlin336scope.JPG
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

The .35 Remington is one of the finest cartridges I’ve used. Perfect for just about anything with four legs and fur inside of 200 yards. Sadly, I’m not sure if the loyal but small following is enough to keep supply around forever.
    "If you are scared you die every day. If you are not scared, you die only once." -Giovanni Falcone

Links