New Sig 1911-45 TTT & 4 of 6 Times Slide Did Not Lock Back After Final Round Fire??

This is a discussion on New Sig 1911-45 TTT & 4 of 6 Times Slide Did Not Lock Back After Final Round Fire?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think this could be a problem! I fired ten 5 round mags yesterday and among them the slide did not lock back after the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Sig 1911-45 TTT & 4 of 6 Times Slide Did Not Lock Back After Final Round Fire??

New Sig 1911-45 TTT & 4 of 6 Times Slide Did Not Lock Back After Final Round Fire??

I think this could be a problem! I fired ten 5 round mags yesterday and among them the slide did not lock back after the last round was fired on 4 of the 10 mags. This is a brand new Sig 1911 (50 rounds fired 10 days before this happened) and my first thought was "Factory" time. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am new to 1911's (well, since the '70's and AD Army days).
    This will be one of the handguns I will carry (finally got my permit after 3 months and a week), but not until I feel confident I will know it is empty. Thanks, Free

PS Any thoughts/recomendations on the insurance protection through NRA and other sources for carry coverage?
    Last edited by Free; March 16th, 2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: corrections/more info.

2. Remove Ads

How many different mags did you use? If you used two and it was the same one that failed each time, then a defective mag is involved. The customer service at Sig is very good and can probably pin point this for you. Good luck.

Are you maybe blocking the slide release with your grip? With both thumbs forward on my old xd9 i hit the slide release without knowing it. Took me awhile to figure out it was my grip causing the problem
    Tzadik likes this.

I used both the factory mags that came in the Sig box; I honestly don't know if only one of them was the culprit; will check this out next time before returning the handgun; also on riding the slide or interfering with the release I don't come close to it; but will also consciously think about this on next outing; thanks for your feedback; have seen others on another forum that seem to confirm this is a problem with recent Sig 1911 mags. Love this little 45 but must have confidence it works every time in every way if I do my job

just thought about this; the previous 50 rounds fired with this handgun I used 8 round mags and never had a hiccup! I used all 5 round mags this last time and had the problem 4 of 10 mags. Go figure! used the same ammo each 50 round practice.

hey Free, I have a sig 220, the only time it fails to lock back is if my thumb is on the slide release, i didnt even know i was doing it until my buddy noticed it after talking to him about the problem. he said the easiest way to see if that was the problem or not (my grip changed a little bit after shooting 9 rounds to cause my thumb to rest on the slide release) is to shoot left handed, and yep sure enough my idiot wandering thumb caused the problem.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

OP, Im not an expert, but I would say thats a quick remedy. I would first pay attention to the way I shoot and thumb placement. I ride the thumb safety of my 1911 during shooting with my thumb on top of the safety.

Second, pay attention to what mag/s that it occurs with, and if its isolated to one or two, mark them and get rid of them. Wilson 47D mags are your friend.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Either the mag follower isn't engaging the slide lock/release lever ,get some good mags like Wilson 47D,Cobra mags,or equivalent.It could be that the slide release lever isn't sticking inside the frame far enough to positively catch the follower every time,with the slide locked back and an empty mag you can see where the follower is either hitting or missing the slide release.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Funny, more commonly the problem on 1911s is the slide locking open when you don't want it to, which could be dangerous in a fire fight. Your gun shouldn't misbehave as it is, but it's certainly a more benign problem than the other way around.

Several things could be causing this symptom, but my money is on the slide stop. I think the part of the slide stop that is supposed to engage the magazine follower is either not long enough, or its shape is incorrect. If you can't associate the malfunction with a specific magazine (time to number them), then I think the mags are not the culprit. One thing you could try is to put a strip of masking or similar tape on the right side of a magazine which has experienced the problem, to force the mag to the left. If the problem goes away, then either the mag well is too wide or the slide stop itself is out of spec.

Another possible cause is a weak spring putting insufficient pressure on the plunger that keeps the slide stop in place when the mag follower isn't touching it. Along the same lines, the face of the slide stop that contacts the plunger could be incorrectly machined, with an angle that tends to push the lever down. A common 'trick' with 1911s is to dimple the aft face of the slide stop lever to provide a detent for the plunger, but this has to be done by someone who knows 1911s, otherwise the problem gets worse.

Rule out the magazines first, but once you do, I think the most productive path is to give Sig a call. In the unlikely event they stiff-arm you, then find a good 1911 'smith in your area and have him check it out.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Free
    I used all 5 round mags this last time
    I've never seen or heard of a 5-round 1911 magazine, but I haven't owned one since '07.

Is this a new thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I've never seen or heard of a 5-round 1911 magazine, but I haven't owned one since '07.

Is this a new thing?
    To clarify I only have the 2 eight round mags that came with the Sig 1911; the first time I practiced with this handgun I loaded both mags with 8 rounds; this last time I only loaded 5 rounds into each mag; this second practice round is the one I had the problem with the slide not locking back after firing the 5th round and emptying the mag. thanks to all for your comments and help. I have no idea if loading only 5 rounds in the mags would cause this but it is curious to me that the problem only occurred when loading 5 rounds in the mags.

PS It is my understanding that Sig does not make their own mags; does anyone know who makes them and which ones are shipped with the 1911s like the TTT?

I can't imagine loading 5 instead of 8 rounds in the mags would cause any problems. I do agree with others who have said it's best to keep track and see if one of the mags is causing the problem, as that is more than likely the culprit.

Practiced again last Saturday; thumb is no where near the slide catch. Marked each magazine and had same problem with the slide not locking back while using #2 mag on two of the five times I used it. No problem the five times I used the #1 mag. Next time I will see if the same magazine gives me a problem and if so I will chunk it. I am waiting on some Wilson Combat magazines to come in. If it turns out that magazine #2 is the problem I will let Sig know that I am not impressed with their choice of magazines included with this handgun. Thanks

I never did update this post on the Sig mag problems. Turns out #2 mag was the problem. Have had no problems at all with the 3 Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazines. Chunked the two that came with this Sig TTT. Never told Sig but should have. They need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Free View Post
    just thought about this; the previous 50 rounds fired with this handgun I used 8 round mags and never had a hiccup! I used all 5 round mags this last time and had the problem 4 of 10 mags. Go figure! used the same ammo each 50 round practice.
    Magazine follower problem.
    Sig subs out the Mags, which are made by ACT.....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links