Taurus PT 709 Or Kel-Tec PF9

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 709 Or Kel-Tec PF9 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just happen to stop by my Local Gun shop where I scored 50 Rounds Of 9MM, Yeah!!! Anyway I got to talking about my Currant ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taurus PT 709 Or Kel-Tec PF9

Taurus PT 709 Or Kel-Tec PF9

Just happen to stop by my Local Gun shop where I scored 50 Rounds Of 9MM, Yeah!!! Anyway I got to talking about my Currant Kel Tec and how bad a lot of the reviews were about reliability, Not really knowing a lot about sub Compacts, They offered to take mine in on trade for almost what I paid for it and sell me the Taurus PT 709, Right off the bat looks like the Taurus is built better, it is a little heaver but I know that's the trade off from the Kel-Tec, Any one know much about the Taurus?? Hate to spend 150.00 more for about the same gun,

2. Remove Ads

You're gonna hear people trash both of those guns, but a lot of it is without the benefit of experience. I have no experience with the PF9, but I have a PT709 that I have put 1,500 rounds through and trust. Having said that, I have had as many bad experiences with Taurus guns as I have had good. I'm not sure that I would trust any 709, but I trust the one I have. I guess that is sort of true of any gun, but a Taurus would have to prove itself for a lot more rounds than a Sig, Glock, or M&P. YMMV.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Re: Taurus PT 709 Or Kel-Tec PF9

Ive got the pt740 .40 cal version same gun different caliber I love it shoots great conceals good I've read a lot about the slim series and all were good reviews seems like maybe the 9 mm (709) had a little more problems but from what I'm seeing they have fixed it. If u get one I highly recommend getting the Pierce mag extensions it gives u a
    place to put ur pinkie but over all I love it

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

neither
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Just my opinion. If I were to get a gun in that size category. It would be a S&W shield or a Bersa bp9cc.
    miller_man and oneshot like this.

I actually just purchased the Taurus PT 709 Slim 9mm a week ago today.

Fired the good ammo and the cheap stuff and it ate it like candy.

The recoil was not bad and the trigger pull is quite smooth. Accuracy is as good as the shooter, in my case, not so good until I got used to it.

So far no problems and I carried it today in cheap IWB holster and it was very comfortable.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I have both (I'd let my brother borrow my pt709 while on vacation..1000 miles away. Rather than do without for a year until next vacation I bought a PF-9). The Taurus is the superior gun for me. Always on target, easy to shoot. The PF9 just feels cheaper. Feel like parts may fall off after a couple hundred rounds.

Administrator
    I'd keep the PF9. Its a lot easier to work on and KelTec is a decent company to deal with.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Seems like most like the Taurus, over the kel-Tec, I just spent about 2 hours looking at reviews on the PT 709 for the most part, looks like thats the one to get, Funny I started a post on the Kel Tec forum the other day before I was thinking of trading out to the PT 709, That there was so many negative post about the PF 9 especially for being a Kel-Tec Forum, Must be something to it,

Quote Originally Posted by 67malibu View Post
    Seems like most like the Taurus, over the kel-Tec, I just spent about 2 hours looking at reviews on the PT 709 for the most part, looks like thats the one to get, Funny I started a post on the Kel Tec forum the other day before I was thinking of trading out to the PT 709, That there was so many negative post about the PF 9 especially for being a Kel-Tec Forum, Must be something to it,
    I have 2 KelTec PF9s, and I'll say the same thing here that I said on the KelTec forum about them.

They are great little guns, IF you are the kind of person who likes to "fiddle" with guns. By that I mean, if you are the kind of person who likes (or at least doesn't mind) taking your pistol apart to do the KelTec "fluff & buff", sanding down the grips a bit (flashing is left on them from the assembly process, and makes them uncomfortable), fiddling with the trigger, etc., they are terrific little guns. I don't think you can find a smaller, thinner pistol that is as easy to conceal, while still packing that much "punch". But I never suggest them to beginning shooters, I never suggest them to anyone who is very recoil sensitive, and I never suggest them to anyone who doesn't like "fiddling" with the pistol to really make it "theirs". And by the way, fiddling with them is easy, and spare/replacement parts are inexpensive. So far, I've experimented with reshaping the grips, installing fiber optic tubes into the stock sights, adding an extension to the mag release, adding extended mags...

I've put about 4,000 rounds thru my first PF9, and about 200 thru my new one; still have and fire both; I got the second one primarily to use as the basis for a Twisted Industry's .22 conversion for my wife.

For what they are, they are great...but they're not for everyone.

I've got a PF9. Part of my reason for buying it was something to tinker with and learn gun mechanics. It's light and small. Had FTE issues with it the first 250 rounds but it's been OK since (500 rouns total). Had to swap out the extractor, which KT readily sent, no charge. It's easy to work on and you can get any part from the factory. A big plus.

I looked at the 709, as well as the 740. They are both nice guns, nicer than the PF9 probably. I've read different reviews and about problems they may have but have never shot one. My favorite LGS sells a lot of Taurus' and tells me they send more back to the factory than any other brand. Not encouraging for me to hear a retailer say that.

To be honest with you though, for the $325 I have in my PF9 after the extra magazine and a Northwood trigger kit, for a few dollars more ($75?), I could've had a Nano. Both Kel-Tec and Taurus tend to be hit or miss as to quality. Six of this, half-dozen of the other.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Just my opinion. If I were to get a gun in that size category. It would be a S&W shield or a Bersa bp9cc.
    Neither, do this. I've learned to stay away from the "cheap" or inexpensive guns. Or don't, it's not my money.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I Have a Ruger P89 and this gun has been awesome. I use it for my home defense, Very reliable, never a problem with feeding etc, So once I received my CCL, It was time to look for a small CC gun, I'm only 5.5 and that P89 was way to big and heavy to Carry, So Not being real knowledgeable on other guns I trusted my local gun shops for good and reliable advice, Both said and recommended the Kel-Tec, so naturally I trusted there opinion, And to be fair, My PF9 has worked flawlessly, I think I have about 150 rounds though it, ( would have had more, Thanks to the 9MM Hoarding..LOL) So I like it, But not sure if I trust it, That's why I thought I would find something with a better track record, I know there are better built guns out there, which led me to the Taurus, But it is a little heaver seams better built to, So kinda torn, I rather spend the extra $$ on Ammo, I appreciate all the advice, and I do realize there are so many different experiences people have had with all gun's, I really want to test this PF9 More , So someone sell me some 9MM Please!!! My wife and I were just about to join a local Gun Club, it's a yearly membership, but we held off because we have nothing to shoot,

I don't have any experience with the PF9 so can't comment. I do have a 709 with close to 2,000 reliable rounds, some in IDPA use, through it. It is my EDC and I trust it. Just be certain you get the notorious bad packing grease cleaned out of it!
    67malibu likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post

^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or the Ruger LC9, or its double stack bigger brother the SR9.

I have a Kel Tec P11, that rides to work and back every day.
    Then it has house duty and I carry My M&P .357c , or a S&W airweight.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links