Am I being unrealistic asking for this trade?

This is a discussion on Am I being unrealistic asking for this trade? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all. I have had an ad on Armslist for over a month looking to swap a new sig sauer p229r e2 with a new ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nedrgr21

Thread: Am I being unrealistic asking for this trade?

Am I being unrealistic asking for this trade?

Hi all. I have had an ad on Armslist for over a month looking to swap a new sig sauer p229r e2 with a new milt sparks IWB holster fo a decent 1911 in stainless, colt,springer or kimber etc. All I have recieved is people offering crap guns or trying to buy it outright. Am I asking too much or are people just not parting with 1911's?
    sig p229r.jpgsigand holster.JPG

2. Remove Ads

GH
    I'd consider it if it was a black holster (& if I had a 1911, lol). Seriously, good luck to you in finding someone to trade. While you're waiting save your money until you have enough to buy a 1911 & keep the Sig. Those are fine handguns.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Apparently. As popular as they are, there's only so many 1911 owners, fewer still with ones in stainless,
    of those, fewer are looking, or even willing, to part with them,
    of those, fewer are not looking for cash for their gun,
    of those, fewer are looking for, or will consider the gun/holster you are offering.

Real question is why won't you accept cash? - with which you can, get this, buy a 1911. You are ignoring the very reason money was invented in the first place.
    tubadude likes this.

Well, whether a trade ends up being straight-up or with some cash on either side to make up any negotiated differences, a trade situation should be able to work out. It's just a matter of finding a buyer.

Of course, insisting on a trade means you're restricting your potential pool of buyers to only those people who've got exactly what you're looking for who also want exactly what you're offering. You could simply sell the gun outright and acquire your desired gun elsewhere, which would dramatically open up the pool of available buyers/sellers. Depends on what you prefer: quicker sale, or awaiting the exact buyer to come along who's prepared to trade.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

nedrgr21 summed it up pretty well. Take the money and buy a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    You are ignoring the very reason money was invented in the first place.
    so perfect in its simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    nedrgr21 summed it up pretty well. Take the money and buy a 1911.
    I suppose you guys are right. cash is king, however I did try to order a TRP in stainless the other day from a local gs and was told I would be wasting my time as there were none available. That was why I was hoping for a trade. I even offered to throw in a glock 30 for a trp on Armslist. I had a nice stainless TRP a few years ago and like a idiot I swapped it away for cash and a glock. kicking myself ever since..

VIP Member
    Also you have to remember. Unless you are a dealer, the Sig is not new, even if it has never been fired. Your not going to get full value for it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

true, I have put 12 rounds through it total, I cannot reach the decocking lever with my short thumb.this pistol just does not fit. should have rented one before buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Also you have to remember. Unless you are a dealer, the Sig is not new, even if it has never been fired. Your not going to get full value for it.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    true, I have put 12 rounds through it total, I cannot reach the decocking lever with my short thumb.this pistol just does not fit. should have rented one before buying it.
    But 12 documented rounds and the clear mint condition should help ensure that the "cream" of your potential buyers won't care much about it technically having been unsealed and cleared of cosmoline/lube. Not all buyers will see it that way, some equating "not NIB" to an opportunity for low-ball offers that aren't supported by the condition. But many will see the value. The market's in your favor now, anyway.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links