Wax shotgun slugs

This is a discussion on Wax shotgun slugs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently saw a video of how a guy fired a wax slug that he made, and it blew up insice the barrel or the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Wax shotgun slugs

Wax shotgun slugs

I recently saw a video of how a guy fired a wax slug that he made, and it blew up insice the barrel or the chamber.

How common is this?

I will never make my own slugs, after seeing this video.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Have you seen the YouTube Vids of these three young folks that are taking requests to load absolutely anything and everything into shotgun shells and firing at pumpkins?

They were doing AA batteries, spark plugs, pins, toothpicks, matches, Play-Dough, Skittles, ice, a pen knife, and even live .22 LR cartridges...

I kept waiting for a barrel rupture or something even worse. They have more than one video on YouTube but, I could only suffer through one of them though.

Hmmm asking for trouble... lol

Senior Moderator
    Wax has been shot out of shotguns for ages. I've done it myself with great effect. I had a neighbors dog knocking over my trash cans and scattering trash. I loaded up a few wax slugs and popped him with one. He never came back.

I'd be willing to bet that something else he shot (the wad?) never made it out of the barrel. When he shot the wax, the pressure had to go somewhere. This is no different than a squib load on any gun, and a shotgun barrel cant take as much pressure as even a small handgun.

The key to loading shotgun shells is that you have to be smarter than the shotgun shell. Lots of people arent.
    gasmitty and msgt/ret like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Let me change that to...I think he nailed it in his video as to exactly what happened.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links