Getting re-acquainted with my S&W M10

This is a discussion on Getting re-acquainted with my S&W M10 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today was the first time in quite a while that I was able to get some time in at the range. I decided to take ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Getting re-acquainted with my S&W M10

Getting re-acquainted with my S&W M10

Today was the first time in quite a while that I was able to get some time in at the range. I decided to take my S&W M10 since I've been neglecting it since I purchased the Ruger .41 magnum Blackhawk. I took along some Magtech 158gr LRN ammo that I've had for a few years now and some handloads. The first being a 158gr SWC over 4.6gr of Unique that has proven to be a good performer. The second is a new load I've been wanting to try, which consists of a Lyman #358665 and 4.0gr of W231. According to the Lyman data this load should be going about 840fps from a 4" barrel, the bullet is supposed to be 158gr but mine are closer to 165gr and they sport a nice meplat to boot. I never shot commercial ammo that contained swaged lead bullets before so I was a little nervous as I was expecting leading. That thought quickly vanished though as there was no more than a slight gray wash in the barrel after a couple cylinder fulls.

However I was elated to see that this ammo shoots very very well from my M10. So too did the handload consisting of the Lyman #358665 bullet and W231. I'm no great shakes with a handgun by any stretch, but with both of these loads I was able to keep all shots in the center of a B24 target at 15 yards when shooting SA and slow aimed fire. That is when I didn't flub and pull a shot slightly outside of the bull. I did do a little DA shooting at 10yards too, I didn't do to badly but definitley have room for improvement, Jerry Miculek need not worry about me breaking any of his records. After the purchase of the .41 mag I forgot just how much I like the S&W M10 and the .38 SPL combinataton. All in all it was much needed range time and I really enjoyed getting re-acquainted with my M10. The M10 solidified exactly why it will be the last handgun I ever let go of today, simple, accurate, and reliable to a fault it don't get much better than that.

2. Remove Ads

A heartwarming story of re-acquaintance with a good ol' friend. Glad to hear how the handloads shot. A Model 10 is a forgiving gun and will handle most 158 grain loads very well. I'm interested in that 4.0 grains of W231. I have a can of W231 languishing in the powder locker. All these years and I've never loaded W231 before. I've had the can over a year now, intending to allow the .38 Special to be the guinea pig.

Got any photos of your Model 10?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Funny thing, I finally got around to the range yesterday also. I took a 2 Inch M10, a 4 inch M15 and a 2 ˝ inch M19. Almost forgot how much fun 38 spl is.

Mod_10_R.JPG Mod15_R.JPG Model_19_R.JPG
    Last edited by msgt/ret; March 18th, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
    wmhawth and bmcgilvray like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Ah yes, a reunion of sheer pleasure! In my opinion there are only 3 great handguns, the 1911,BHP, and the great M10. I am glad to hear that there are still some savvy pistoleros among us.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Got any photos of your Model 10?
    I do but I can't figure out how to post an image since phot bucket has changed.

+1

The Model 10 is one of my all time favorites. As glockman10mm indicated, it may not be in a class all by itself; but it sure doesn't take very long to call the roll!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Ah yes, a reunion of sheer pleasure! In my opinion there are only 3 great handguns, the 1911,BHP, and the great M10. I am glad to hear that there are still some savvy pistoleros among us.
    So if I use black shoe polish on my 2 M64s, they might qualify for greatness?
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Hey Gman, now just a darn tootin' minute there. Just about any pre-lock, P&R K or N frame is a classic in my book. Not to discount any of your choices any.

To any of the older gents out there wearing bifocals, do you find any differences in shooting the M10 vs. the M15 r/t the fixed sites/adjustable sights? I just don't know how well I'd be able to use the trench rear site on a M10 with my old eyes.
    NRA Life Member

...if you send 'em to ME, you'll qualify for GRATITUDE...been lookin' for a 2" and a 4" RB...been scarce and I'm lookin' at a 2" RB M10 for $500...tempted...
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    So if I use black shoe polish on my 2 M64s, they might qualify for greatness?

Bmcgilvray, I forgot to add that I think you may end up likeing w231 once you try it. I will have to re-visit 4.5gr with a 158gr swc. I also plan on trying it under some 148gr WC that I've had kicking around from Tenessee Valley Bullets. I can't recall what the popular charge weight is for target loads, but I know it's easy enough to find. The only gripe I have with this powder is that it don't fill up the case like Unique does, other than that I can't really fault it. Would love to hear what your thoughts are on this powder when you get around to trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...if you send 'em to ME, you'll qualify for GRATITUDE...been lookin' for a 2" and a 4" RB...been scarce and I'm lookin' at a 2" RB M10 for $500...tempted...
    Ha! Sorry, they're spoken for. The snub looks great with its 'Secret Service' grips, too...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Well I have to be the odd man out and say that I prefer the Model 13 and 65 more than the 10
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjns View Post
    +1

The Model 10 is one of my all time favorites. As glockman10mm indicated, it may not be in a class all by itself; but it sure doesn't take very long to call the roll!
    Present!
    Attached Images
    gasmitty, msgt/ret and bmcgilvray like this.

Ok I figured out the updated photo bucket features so here are some pics of my M10.

This is an older pic

Here is another with it in a Simply Rugged Sour Dough Pancake holster

My M10 now gets carried in this Simply Rugged holster, sadly they stopped making this design.
    wmhawth and bmcgilvray like this.

...when you wear the Pancake crossdraw, can it hold the butt of the gun snugly against you? nice rig!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links