We've got a new price gouger in town- Scheel's!

This is a discussion on We've got a new price gouger in town- Scheel's! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got quite a shock today! Since it was my day off I headed to the local Scheel's All-Sport store to see if they had ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: We've got a new price gouger in town- Scheel's!

We've got a new price gouger in town- Scheel's!

I got quite a shock today! Since it was my day off I headed to the local Scheel's All-Sport store to see if they had anything interesting in the gun case and check to see if they had any .22 or 9mm ammo. To my surprise and delight, the case was full of 9mm ammo! My happiness didn't last long once I saw the price though- $24.00 for 50 rounds of FMJ! Yikes! I rubbed my eyes and squinted, then took one more look to see if I'd been hallucinating. Nope, $.50 per round...for nine mm ammo! A few other guys were looking at the case but they too shook their heads and walked away. As usual they had a ton of .45 ACP 230 gr ball ammo for $.45 per round. Guess I'll have to shoot my 45 to save some cash!

On one level though I commend them, I think they found the solution to their shortage of 9mm! The current batch should last quite a while! On a semi-serious note, maybe this is the only thing that will stop the hoarders and scalpers. Now that the retail price strains credulity there won't be as much room to buy it and resell it on Craigslist.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Not that this excuses those prices but I've always wondered about the price of 410 ammo over 12 gauge. That's been a reality for a long time. I hope this settles itself out sooner than later. Good luck.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Yeesh, we'd love to see 9mm at $24/50 here. Saw a place this weekend that had it for $44/50.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Capitalism.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Yam $24 for 50 is about the norm here in South Dakota.

I'd probably buy a bunch 'cause I don't know when I would see it again on the shelves.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Despite all the gripping and complaining, the gouging in firearms and ammo is no different than the continuous jumping up of gasoline prices. The difference is I don't have to have that box of .45s right now, I do need gasoline. I can wait until the idiots finally let the hoarding run its course, but when the gas gauge says empty, the wheels stop turning.

The prices are outrageous only if you pay them. Otherwise, it's only a sticker price the retailer is praying he gets.
    JDE101 and rammerjammer like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Damn I'll keep reloading at .05 a round
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    I shop in Reno Nevada and Scheels has always been higher than anybody else and when you write them about it they offer a price drop and then go back to the same old price. I don't shop them anymore. Somebody has to pay for those fish.

I went to the range a couple of days ago. Brought my own 9mm, but inquired as to the price of theirs as I saw a bunch on the shelf... $31.50. I had to constrain myself to not laugh out loud and said I was fine with what I brought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Capitalism.
    ^ This. There is no such thing as price gouging. There is only the market. Supply, demand and price.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Yeesh, we'd love to see 9mm at $24/50 here. Saw a place this weekend that had it for $44/50.
    Might as well target practice with Hallow points!

Jiminy Crickets

I've gotten so used to WW prices compared to the higher prices of what the LGStore`s normally were charging before the feeding frenzy that this sticker shock of late is makin my piggy-bank's brain go numb.

Though it has been sooooooooooooooo long since I have even seen any 9mm @ ah WW while I was in there that I have forgotten what they even ARE charging today. I think 50-r of Fed FMJ-RN was ah boot 14 or 15 bucks last I remember

Now they, WW, haven't raised their price on what I have found in stock; if only by a couple-ah-cents but they are STILL a~lot less then the prices @ the LGStore`s

Quote Originally Posted by johnaengus View Post
    Yam $24 for 50 is about the norm here in South Dakota.
    Where are you shopping? I've been paying $21/100 at WallyWorld and $30/100 at Scheel's up til now.

Links