Arkansas - Carrying a long gun in vehicle

This is a discussion on Arkansas - Carrying a long gun in vehicle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have searched many many threads and have yet to come up with a defenitive answer as to carrying a loaded long gun in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Arkansas - Carrying a long gun in vehicle

Arkansas - Carrying a long gun in vehicle

I have searched many many threads and have yet to come up with a defenitive answer as to carrying a loaded long gun in a vehicle in Arkansas. I understand completely as to HANDGUNS, and have recently applied for my concealed permit but have not been able to find one bit of official information concerning long guns, particularly my Mossberg 500 12 gauge. Several people have told me that window racks are illegal in Arkansas but I can not find any proof of that. I have also been told that a long gun must be "in the open" and others have told me that it must be out of plain sight. I am getting so much conflicting info that I now have no clue what is actually legal. What I am really trying to get an answer to is can I legally leave my loaded 12 gauge under my rear seat in my truck? Or, in plain sight in my truck? I guess my actual questions are...

1) Can an UNCASED shotgun be carried in a vehicle?
    2) If so, may it be loaded?
    3) If loaded/uncased vehicle carry is allowed, is it mandaded as to concealed or unconcealed?

What I am thinking of doing is making a semi-permanent mount somewhere in my truck for my shotgun and need to know the laws so that I don't get into trouble. I either want to mount it behind my fold-down rear seat if it can be concealed or possibly one of the overhead headliner mounts if it has to be unconcealed. So, I am really not interested in doing this IF the shotgun must be in a case as that would kind of defeat the purpose of having the shotgun available to me somewhat quickly if needed. I am sorry for such a long post but I wanted to make it clear as to what my questions are. I would appreciate any helpful comments.
    Snub44 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

...according to the 2011 issue of the Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States by J Scott Kappas, Esq.: "All Persons: Shotguns and rifles may be carried in gun racks, gun slings, or commercial gun cases but should remain unloaded during hunting season..."

...I've not found a factual error in his books yet...he references the Arkansas State Police and you should find the text of the law by googling...

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    So does that mean it can be loaded EXCEPT during hunting season? Am I misreading that because that sounds strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...according to the 2011 issue of the Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States by J Scott Kappas, Esq.: "All Persons: Shotguns and rifles may be carried in gun racks, gun slings, or commercial gun cases but should remain unloaded during hunting season..."

...I've not found a factual error in his books yet...he references the Arkansas State Police and you should find the text of the law by googling...
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

...that's the plain wording of it...but that's his words, not the text of the law...though he's accurate, if you'll search for the text you'll KNOW where you stand should it ever become a point of contention...

...maybe you could post the text here for all of us when you find it?

I have searched my brains out trying to find this mentioned in Arkansas law and haven't found it yet. Plenty of info and HANDGUNS and that info is very clear but I can't find a single word concerning long guns.

Pm hotguns...he'll know

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I actually tried to PM him but his inbox is full and needs to be slimmed down before he can receive any more messages. I guess there is a high demand for his knowledge!

...read here: Subchapter 1 - Possession and Use Generally :: 2010 Arkansas Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia till my eyes crossed...nothing I can find...I'd call state police barracks and Fish and Wildlife office...and ask for the laws in black and white...or where to look them up...

Thanks for taking the time to research. I believe that is the same code I was reading. I guess that means if I am arrested for a loaded shotgun under my seat that the prosecuting attorney will not be able to find it either. Guess they'd just have to turn me loose? LOL

...nope, and he won't bring you supper, neither...let us know what you dig up...I go to Ark sometimes and would hate to sport my CHL and then find out it doesn't cover my shotgun...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhogan2424 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to research. I believe that is the same code I was reading. I guess that means if I am arrested for a loaded shotgun under my seat that the prosecuting attorney will not be able to find it either. Guess they'd just have to turn me loose? LOL

It's a shame the Arkansas code covers "metal nuckles, tazer guns, and booby traps" but does not mention a shotgun. I bet "Hotguns" would be able to clear this up for us fairly quickly if he happens upon this thread.

...bureaucrats...the epitome of IMpracticality...

...try here: Arkansas.gov - Site Search on long guns in vehicles it shows FAQ and Wildlife Div but I can't get things to open...

Thanks for the link, I am having the same problem opening the file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links