I think I have her now!! Well maybe??

This is a discussion on I think I have her now!! Well maybe?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Back story, I always watch a defensive show (The Best Defense) on the outdoor channel on Wednesday nights. I watch to get ideas for training ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: I think I have her now!! Well maybe??

Smile I think I have her now!! Well maybe??

Back story, I always watch a defensive show (The Best Defense) on the outdoor channel on Wednesday nights. I watch to get ideas for training and such. The start of every show, they do a "real life" scenario showing the best way to advoid, respond in scenarios where BGs are trying to do harm to you. It is on about 10 every night, so I am usually with my wife watching while she reads a book. Last night they did a scenario about going to you car in a low light situation and have some one asking for a jumper cables and then attacking. Last night the BG was a big guy and they ran the scenario with a petite women. The women flashed her flashlight in her arms and the pulled her gun, used verbal commands and the BG ran away. The hosts then come on and give you tips, ponters etc.. Nothing too elaborate but I watch it. After the segment was over and the show went to commercial, my wife (who I thought was reading and is very anti gun) says, "I would have shot him in the knee". Now I carry all the time and at first she was agianst it and even did not like having guns in the house. Taken back a little, I said "But I thought you don't like guns". At which point she reponds, " I think I should start ot carry with all the craziness." I responded, "No problem, we can start training this weekend". He final comment in a laughing manner was, "But I am afraid I will shoot anyone that pisses me off." At which I laughed and said, "yeah, maybe it's not such a good idea".

This exchange was half hearted and we laughed, but that is the first time she has acknowledged that carrying is an option. It has taken me 7yrs working on her. Maybe she is not as anti as she used to be.

But we will have to work on the shooting anyone that pisses her off part.
    Badey, JoJoGunn, darbo and 1 others like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

2. Remove Ads

If you convince her it was her idea to start carrying you'll be golden.

;-)
    OD* likes this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

That's great! Now, don't ruin it by starting her off with a .44 mag. Actually, I assume you already know that. There are a bunch of post on here about introducing someone to the sport of shooting. Spend some time reading them and have fun.

Distinguished Member
    I would strongly encourage you to not piss her off going forward...
    srings and icemanls2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    my wife (who I thought was reading and is very anti gun) says, "I would have shot him in the knee".

"I think I should start ot carry with all the craziness."

"But I am afraid I will shoot anyone that pisses me off."
    Well, nothing like an improvement from a died-in-the-wool anti position. "Lord, I thank thee for this bounty before us ..."

As you said, gotta work on the misconceptions a bit. But, that'll come. Threat of a lost lifetime in prison might deter the last one. A bit of practical shooting at various targets (stationary and moving) should dispel the myth of the "knee" approach to things.

She's got you pegged to a "T," though. Of course, she could've been just humoring you. Naaaaah, she wouldn't do that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My wife used to be the same way. In fact, we were both a bit anti-gun. There have always been guns in the house as I was growing up. My mom is a lawyer and she started carrying after she was attacked in court. But I never thought much of it. My mom's current husband (#4 or 5, I lose track) has carried for decades. When he was only a family friend, he carried. My wife and I always thought he was a bit extreme for carrying a compact .45 and at least one BUG. well time passed and I have a completely different viewpoint, as does my wife. It might be that several shootings have taken place at places we would normally be at but through luck happened to not be there that day. It could be cuz we have four kids and now feel duty bound to protect them. I was a bit surprised when my wife said she wanted to take the cfp class with me and says she wants to carry. Pleasantly surprised. And it shows that a woman is able to make rational decisions every now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by tele_pathic View Post
    I was a bit surprised when my wife said she wanted to take the cfp class with me and says she wants to carry. Pleasantly surprised. And it shows that a woman is able to make rational decisions every now and again.
    I'm assuming you said that lovingly, when you told her. Were many stitches required??

It's amazing what kids can do for one's sense of duty to protect, for many folks. Bummer that it's not for everyone (a strong sense of duty to protect, that is).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My wife too was, well not really anti gun, just concerned when we first married and moved in together and my guns came with me. It was mainly due to each of us having kids. (Good reason) After a few years of shooting along with a few times that I grabbed one because of those things that go bump in the night, she now is fully comfortable, knows how to shoot everything in my safe and has her CCW. I'm optimistic for you in that the more people get used to guns, shoot them and learn that they can be fun and a life saver, it's really a no-brainer. Some have just never had the opportunity.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Too bad your last name's not Feinstein!

You have given me a bit of hope. My wife is VERY anti-gun... maybe she will come around someday.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    An answer to her statement, "But I am afraid I will shoot anyone that pisses me off." could be something like "You have no idea how many I come across in a day's time I feel the same about, but don't.". Ask her when she wants to take a class and sign her up. Let her know that there is more to it than just point and shoot, it isn't a camera. Let her know there is a good deal of legal information a person has to know before they can obtain the permit. It is always good when someone who doesn't particularly care about guns and self defense suddenly become interested. Good luck.

That's awesome!!! My wife was the same. Wanted nothing to do with my pistol and was not comfortable with me carrying. She didn't even like me watching the Self Defense channel. She slowly became more comfortable with me carrying and recently commented that it made her feel safe. Last month I gave her a .380 for her birthday and got her out shooting. She loved it and is now hooked. We recently took a basic handgun class together and are looking into taking a tactical defense class too. She isn't comfortable carrying herself yet because we have young kids and she worries about them grabbing it. I think that will come too. Good luck getting her into firearms and take it slow, if it's her idea it goes a lot better.

You're further down that path with your wife then I am... I am so jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    I responded, "No problem, we can start training this weekend".
    I have made a series of posts on my wifes enlightenment, and it is an amazing journey to say the least. Years ago I think I slowed down her process down by trying to train her at a bad time. I am not here to make blanket statements as each married couple is unique, but I found in my experience, a spouse (me) is not the best to provide training to the better half (my wife). It is not that I am not a good instructor, but sometimes someone else is easier to listen to, and the instruction doesn't have the same impact as my asking her to put my tools away (where she found them) after she uses them, or how I respond when she asks me to help with the laundry.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Listen to the voice of experience here - Encourage her to be trained my someone OTHER than you, preferably a qualified woman. Watch the instruction from a considerable distance and fight-off the urge to utter a sound, much less an opinion. Let your wife pick out her own gear AFTER she has some training & trigger-time. I don't care if you're Col Cooper, Rob Leatham & Bill Jordan all rolled into a Tom Selleck stunt-double. If you want her to be g-o-o-d, have her learn from someone ELSE!
    DMan likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links