Single shot advice

Single shot advice

This is a discussion on Single shot advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for an affordable single shot so I need input. Caliber doesn't matter but, I'd probly have the headache of adding another caliber to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Single shot advice

Single shot advice

Looking for an affordable single shot so I need input. Caliber doesn't matter but, I'd probly have the headache of adding another caliber to the ammo stash. I really don't need it but I want one.

Already have
    9mm
    38 special
    .223/5.56
    22 mag
    12ga

I'm in tx and my local academy has a cva elite stalker in .308 and 30-06 for $189 + tax. Plan on doing some hog hunting with it.
    I was also eyeballing the H&R survivor in .308

Help I have GAS
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

Gun acquisition syndrome
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

I've really been considering picking up a single shot as well. I haven't done much investigating yet though.

I think I just want one because I don't have one.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    These are just a few of my H&Rs

I have many more single shots but these just happened to be out all at once while I was cleaning my safes. For the price I paid these are hard to beat! they run from 45 70 to 17 Hornet. The two most accurate are the 223 with its heavy barrel and the 22 hornet. Both will put several bullets under a quarter at 100 yds. I'm still working on a most accurate load for the 17 hornet. H&R offers a rifle in 357mag/38 spl to match with your 38 pistol. But Beware they are like Lays Potato Chips "You cant have just one!" DR
    QKShooter and msgt/ret like this.

Nice
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

...aim carefully...

...I've never wanted a single shot ANYTHING...then one day I was in my local pawn shop and spotted a 20 ga NEF single shot with side lever, put it to my shoulder, and, like a puppy, it followed me home...I have it in the garage...and pet it often...and still don't know why I bought it...

Might also consider on of the over/under rifle shotgun combos. I got an old Savage in 22lr/410 that I love. My brother has a scoped 3030/20ga that I wish I had; would be fantastic for hogs loaded with #1 buckshot and any reasonable deer round for the long shots. Nice, hard working, regular guns that anyone should have IMO. The 3030 with aim thru scope mounts is about as good a bush gun as you could find.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...aim carefully...

...I've never wanted a single shot ANYTHING...then one day I was in my local pawn shop and spotted a 20 ga NEF single shot with side lever, put it to my shoulder, and, like a puppy, it followed me home...I have it in the garage...and pet it often...and still don't know why I bought it...
    That is advice should be taken with any firearm.
    I once shot a 3 point buck that had been shot at least 3 times that I could see. One clear hole thru the ear, a hit on the meat of the hindquarter that was just a hole in and out, worst was a shot that hit from the front left of the back, glancing off the spine and ran down the length of the backstrap. The infection from the back wound was hideous and I could smell something "dead" as I was hunting a creek bottom, slipped up on him in what I figure must have been delirium from the fever; he finally noticed me and struggled a bit then just laid down and looked at me. Sometimes we are happy to kill an animal, I was!!

Yeah, choose your shots carefully but more importantly choose your followup shots carefully; that particular shooter should have found another hobby.
    Snub44 likes this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    The only single shot I have is a TC Contender but I have seven barrels. The .218 Bee and .256 Win Mag barrels were fun for shooting prairie dogs on OK. Never hunted with them but the .30 and .357 Herret barrels could be used to take either deer or maybe elk. They also make the Encore line, which is a rifle version of the Contender. Another source is the Ruger Number 1 rifles.

Thompson/Center - America's Master Gunmaker

Ruger® No.1 Single-Shot Rifles
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    For hogs--the .308 will do nicely as will the .30-06. Your call.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    You're in Houston? I was at a pawn shop in Aldine yesterday who had 2 Rossi single-shots in .223. They weren't in that bad of shape, and I think they were asking $150. Dunno how much they'd let them go for? I've had good luck with them dropping the price if it's something that hasn't sold in a while.

Yes I'm in Houston Aldine and what?
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    TC would be on my list.

...choose a single-shot with a side lever for opening and automatic ejector...it's surprising how quickly I can reload this 20 from the 5-shot sleeve I put on the stock and get it back to locked...the sleeve's loose on the stock but one screw will keep it in place if it bothers you...it does have a transfer bar so it's safe loaded...they asked $120 but I laid $90 on the counter and they took it...I think they get them pretty cheap...mine was used...

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chepo06 View Post
    Yes I'm in Houston Aldine and what?
    I'll PM you the address. One had a synthetic stock, one had a wooden stock iifc. Not too bad of shape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links