I got to shoot a $3,000 .22 LR pistol yesterday - WOW!

This is a discussion on I got to shoot a $3,000 .22 LR pistol yesterday - WOW! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was shooting my Kimber TLE/RL 1911 at an indoor range yesterday. I was doing some research basically for an upcoming feral hog hunt (if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: I got to shoot a $3,000 .22 LR pistol yesterday - WOW!

Senior Moderator

I got to shoot a $3,000 .22 LR pistol yesterday - WOW!

I was shooting my Kimber TLE/RL 1911 at an indoor range yesterday. I was doing some research basically for an upcoming feral hog hunt (if it materializes) and was checking POA/POI at 15 yards. I was shooting a 3" ShootNC and doing pretty good I thought, but I noticed the guy in the lane next to me was doing badly either.

In fact he was doing a little better than me. Hmmm....

So I get to talking to him and he has this elegant Feinwerkbau .22 LR pistol. I found this pic on the web and his gun looked just about like this, except I believe he was using a different RDS. He had Ultradot which has adjustable dot size and brightness.

The attached pic is a bit small, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time 'fixing' it up; I think it's enough to get the idea.

One thing lead to another, and before I knew it, he was loading 5 rounds into the mag for me to shoot. Fortunately, he had that RDS dialed in perfectly, and he had been shooting from the bench rest in his lane.

Well, for some reason, I decided to shoot at a clean 3" dot on my target, at 15 yards off hand. The first shot was inside the inch ring on the dot. I wasn't sure where the second shot went, but I kept shooting. The third was also inside the one inch ring and I could tell one of the fourth and fifth shots hit inside the 1" ring.

I reeled the target in and the reason I couldn't tell where the second shot went was because it was so close to the first shot. All five shots were in a group under 1". I was simply amazed. It wasn't just that I had shot so well, but how easy it was. The gun/setup was simply amazing.

I found myself not enthused about shooting my Kimber at 15 yards anymore. Fortunately I ddin't have to - I was out of ammo.

I pondered why the gun was so accurate and easy to shoot - I eventually decided that the RDS, the incredible trigger, and the inherent accuracy of both the gun and ammo was the reasons.

So, I'm thinking, which one of my 1911s could I mount a RDS on and adjust the trigger down to about 3 lbs. I think I'm gonna order a base for my Burris Fastfire III RDS and just mount it in the sight dovetail and see what happens. That way if I don't like it, no harm done.

If I do like it, I'll machine an inset into the slide and mount the sight lower and more permanently. I've had this RDS on several Glocks, but they did very little for speed or accuracy.

However, there is a 'red dot sights' on SD pistols' following that swear by these things. I have an unproven theory though, based on my experience that many of that 'following' couldn't shoot well with iron sights and the RDS was easier for them. Because I shoot a lot and have good eyesight and use my sights regularly, I'm not sure I get much of an advantage in either speed or accuracy.

E.g. I put some Pro Sights on one of my Glock 17s, and the Burris Fastfire on another Glock 17 and I actually shot better and faster with the Pro Sights than the RDS.

But, after my experience yesterday, I saw that some of my groups at 15 yards was due to slight variations in sight pics. Then comparing my irons to the RDS I immediately saw an improvement. Of course there was 'some' (like night and day) difference in the gun and ammo. He was shooting match grade ammo, ironically enough, because that's all he could find.

Now I have to put one of my Bushnell TRS-25 RDS's on my Mark III and see how it does.

Getting to shoot a gun that basically takes the gun's inherent accuracy out of the picture and puts the accuracy on the shooter was eye opening.

No, I'm not going to buy one .
    Attached Images
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Red dots seemed to improve everyone who added ones accuracy when I shot .22 pistol competition. The biggest down fall to a RDS on a pistol seems to be point of aim/impact varies when shooting different distances.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Tangle, I think we probably use the same indoor range. How is it that the guy next to me is usually shooting a very weathered Taurus, sticking his tongue out and squinting when he shoots? And you get a guy shooting a pistol like THAT. Just not fair. Soon as that Beverly Hills Gun Club membership gets approved im outta here.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Tangle, I think we probably use the same indoor range. How is it that the guy next to me is usually shooting a very weathered Taurus, sticking his tongue out and squinting when he shoots? And you get a guy shooting a pistol like THAT. Just not fair. Soon as that Beverly Hills Gun Club membership gets approved im outta here.
    LOL! Life can be so unfair sometimes! You just don't pick the right days and lanes

That was a special opportunity!

The 'range' may be the least of our problems. If things don't change, we're not going to have ammo to shoot in anything

maybe it's just me,but unless I was rich, I can't see spending $3K on a .22 pistol.
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Accuracy is fun and rewarding, and it has its place. Just depends on your goals, and purpose.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    I recently mounted a redot sight on a Ruger MK3 pistol that is suppressed. Once it was dialed in, wherever you put that dot is where the bullet goes.

Most peole that have shot it have been amazed that they were so accurate with it. Of course, the trick is to stay at the range that the dot is zeroed for. Any deviation in that range means a shot that is high or low.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I recently mounted a redot sight on a Ruger MK3 pistol that is suppressed. Once it was dialed in, wherever you put that dot is where the bullet goes.
    That's what I want to do with my MKIII.

...Most people that have shot it have been amazed that they were so accurate with it.
    That's encouraging; i doubt the MKIII will be equivalent to the Feinwerkbau, but because the barrel and 'receiver' are essentially one piece, I would expect it to come close.

...Of course, the trick is to stay at the range that the dot is zeroed for. Any deviation in that range means a shot that is high or low.
    Yeah, that's true, but with the right scope (I'm thinking 1X), if it it had quick elevation adjustment or BDC indicators, that might help some.

After you run a high-end, dialed-in .22 target pistol (I have a Pardini SP, etc., etc.) you are suddenly presented with a singular, inescapable, humbling conclusion. You can no longer blame inaccuracy on anything except...yourself!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    After you run a high-end, dialed-in .22 target pistol (I have a Pardini SP, etc., etc.) you are suddenly presented with a singular, inescapable, humbling conclusion. You can no longer blame inaccuracy on anything except...yourself!
    LOL! Amen to that!!!! I actually told the guy that owned the gun, "That was rather humbling."

Administrator
    It's the trigger.

Nothing harms accuracy (in an otherwise fine target firearm) more than a lousy overly heavy trigger.

Ahhh...but, Tangle you can afford a vintage "used in excellent condition" S&W Model 41 .22 LR which also has a flawless adjustable trigger and incredible inherent accuracy.
    ccman likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

CINC House (wife) would kill me if I even mentioned buying a $3,000 .22 pistol with a name I can't pronounce!
    pgrass101 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's the trigger.

Nothing harms accuracy (in an otherwise fine target firearm) more than a lousy overly heavy trigger.

Ahhh...but, Tangle you can afford a vintage "used in excellent condition" S&W Model 41 .22 LR which also has a flawless adjustable trigger and incredible inherent accuracy.
    I can't say for sure that this gun had a trigger - it seemed to me like you put the red dot on the target and it just fired - how does it know???
    QKShooter and SmokinFool like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    CINC House (wife) would kill me if I even mentioned buying a $3,000 .22 pistol with a name I can't pronounce!
    LOL! There are some things a wife isn't supposed to know. The problem is, seems like they always find out .

Wives must have spies everywhere
    QKShooter and mano3 like this.

THERE ya' go Tangle. The $3K price tag is mostly the cost of that TTS option (Telepathic Trigger System). Them Germans think of everything.

And when I mentioned "Pardini" to Mrs. Ghost Tracker, she thought I had found a new Italian restaurant!
    Tangle, QKShooter and mano3 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links