Is Smart Gun A Dumb Idea?

This is a discussion on Is Smart Gun A Dumb Idea? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I came across this article in this morning's IBD and thought it might be of interest to the community. The prediction that "It's likely in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Is Smart Gun A Dumb Idea?

I came across this article in this morning's IBD and thought it might be of interest to the community.

The prediction that "It's likely in the civilian market that we'll see good, reliable, use-limiting technology in many new firearms" doesn't exactly warm my heart but perhaps I'm in the minority.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: Gun Control Advocates Have Ammunition ? 'Smart Gun' Technology - Investors.com
    Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Considering internal locks on S&W revolvers are hated by most, I doubt these 'advances' would catch on.
    Last edited by BlueNinjaGo; March 22nd, 2013 at 01:53 PM.

Looks cool on paper and in pictures, but the problem with the idea is the power supply. I'm not going to rely on a battery to save my life.
    atctimmy, RickyD, mano3 and 3 others like this.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Bad Bad Bad!!!

"Smart guns," which can be fired only by an authorized person and can be rendered unworkable at all in certain locations.......
    So what if BG's get their hands on some kind of device that can make the gun "unworkable"?
    Oh, and how is the device powered up? What happens when the battery dies?

It's a great concept for someone who isn't pro or anti-gun.
    For people like minded with me, this is a load of BS.
    For the anti-gunners, it still isn't enough.

Looks like we might have to resort to building our own guns in the future.

In short Yes. Colt has had Smartgun prototypes since the 90's and fully admits the technology is limited and fallable. The unit's I have saw incorporate a form of IR bracelet or wearable device that is worn by the officer or person holding the pistol. The bracelet emitts an IR frequency that when behind the gun sends an active signal to an electric motor usually in the grip deactivating a blocking device permitting the firearm to fire. When the IR bracelet is in front of the gun the IR signal is omitted preventing the firearm from firing. Too many parts to fail,(what if gun gets wet or bracelet). Also the IR signal can be blocked or defeated by a phone, garage door opener, TV remote, or anything that emitts an IR signal. I watched a program on this specifically and Colt admitted even today, In order to make it reliable the electronics must be smaller and more reliable. It's in line with cost effective biometric safes. In order to meet a price point, the electronics have to be made cheaper thus rendering them less reliable. The cost efficient biometric safes have been proven to work effectively a mere 60% of the time. Alot of the HOME safes that incorporate biometric scanning also have a dial tumbler mechanical locking device along side the electronic one so in the event the electronic pad malfunctions, The dial deactivates the electronic one and you can still get in your safe. Just my .02. Here is a link to another type of smart gun technology.

TriggerSmart Childproof RFID Smart Gun - YouTube

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I don't think you would have to be particularly smart to remove the "smart" features therefor making it a pretty dumb idea!

It would probably just give you an unreliable gun that would cost you more. It did look cool in Skyfall.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

YES!!!!
    I Love Guns!!!

Just as soon as all military and law enforcement firearms are so equipped, I *might* consider such a "feature"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    Stupid idea
    bmcgilvray and Sky Pilot like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Wonderful idea. So I walk into a building that disables my smart gun. Bad guy walks in with an old school gun without smart tech and proceeds to kill everybody in the place, myself included since I am prevented from defending myself. Now my widow and kids get rich suing everybody since they took away my right to self defense.
    /sarcasm off

I don't even trust electronic safes let alone electronically locked guns.
    bombthrower77 and Poseidon like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    It would probably just give you an unreliable gun that would cost you more. It did look cool in Skyfall.
    Looked cool in Metal Gear Solid also until they were hacked.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

This sounds like something straight out of Metal Gear Solid 4. Biometric and ID tagged guns that allow only 1 person to use a given weapon which can be made inoperable from a remote location. SERIOUSLY?! It's straight out of a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FePHnxmupCw

At about the 3 minute mark. It's rather funny to think this is might where we are going.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links