Advise on trade

This is a discussion on Advise on trade within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Ruger LCP that I am thinking of trading to someone for a Taurus P111 Pro. I am not familiar with the Taurus ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By DaveInEdmonds

Thread: Advise on trade

Advise on trade

I have a Ruger LCP that I am thinking of trading to someone for a Taurus P111 Pro. I am not familiar with the Taurus and wanted to know if this is a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Nah. I'm not a Taurus hater, but I have heard too many people say great things about the LCP.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp70 View Post
    I have a Ruger LCP that I am thinking of trading to someone for a Taurus P111 Pro. I am not familiar with the Taurus and wanted to know if this is a good deal.

I'm not very familiar with either of those pistols, but I know I wouldn't trade any model Ruger for even the "finest" Taurus.

...I'd say no go...hold out for a 2" J or 2" Colt...neither of the two mentioned do it for me...

Distinguished Member
    Which one will you shoot and enjoy more? I carried an LCP for over a year and shot it regularly. I never liked it and finally got rid of it. good luck

I just got the LCP on a trade. But I have a SW Bodyguard too. So in my mind I feel I don't "need" two pocket .380's. So I was trading off the LCP.

Keep the ruger..
    Snub44 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

...considering both companies' customer service record...I'd keep the Ruger, too...and water it...and put it in the sun...

Sounds to me like some one is going to get a fine LCP for a heck of a deal if you go through with it.
    If I were you that conversation would have never even git started.

What"s he going to throw in, along with the Taurus?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I just told the guy no on the trade. I didn't feel good about it, so I wanted to get more opinions. You guys helped me out on making the right decision. I get distracted sometimes. I need to trust my gut more.

I have the earlier version of the PT111 (the 'Millenium', but not the 'Pro') and it's a great little gun. Same size as the Pro but capacity is 10+1 whereas the Pro holds a couple more. It's a perfect size for my hands and although the pinky finger curls under the grip its width gives it good stability in the hand. Recoil is mild, even with +P. The trigger has a long stroke and you need a few mags full to learn where it breaks, but you can use that to your advantage to stage the trigger for a followup shot.

I stopped carrying mine because the mags have an annoying intermittent rattle when full. Sounds silly, but it made me feel conspicuous when I didn't want to be. (Plus I moved out to AZ and the need for strict concealment reduced a bit and I went back to carrying 1911s.) To my knowledge, that rattle went away with the higher-capacity mags of the Pro series.

Never having shot an LCR I can't directly compare the two, but the Taurus is roughly double the weight (dry) and double the capacity in a more powerful caliber. Taurus guns have their ups and downs, quality-wise, but I think it's a matter of erratic quality rather than consistently bad. I have two of their snubs which are accurate and have good triggers. The PT111 had a brief failure-to-fire incident many years ago which was corrected by Taurus quickly and at their expense, after which it performed with complete reliability. Rugers are great (I have probably a dozen) but they're also built to a price point (especially the smallish guns) and there are plenty of LCPs that have had to go back to Ruger for service. My point here is that the LCP and the Taurus you're looking at are about the same price new, so don't think that one or the other is some magically 'better' than the other.

Again, the Taurus you're looking at is a more substantial gun with respect to size, capacity and caliber. I'd shoot it if possible and see if you like the trigger and how the gun feels in your hand.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrkr View Post
    ... but I know I wouldn't trade any model Ruger for even the "finest" Taurus.
    When I saw the thread title, I clicked to say exactly this.
    myrkr likes this.

Links