Need help determining the value of 3 firearms

This is a discussion on Need help determining the value of 3 firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am going to try to keep this short but heres the deal. My stepbrother was left 3 firearms by his dad when he passed ...

I am going to try to keep this short but heres the deal. My stepbrother was left 3 firearms by his dad when he passed on. He hit a tight spot about a year ago when his daughter started college. He adressed my dad about selling the guns for money and my dad just told him he would loan him the money needed and then he could have 1 year to pay back or my dad would keep the guns. That year is pushing close so what we would like to do is sell 1 or 2 of them to give my dad his money back and give whatever money/guns is left back to my brother for Christmas. Before we start going to gun shops I wanted to see if I could get some help from the members here. I will get pictures and more info if needed but I am going off of the disc. that my dad gave me for now.

1st is a John Wayne edition Winchester 32-40 lever action rifle. The rifle is NIB, never been fired. Also has the original box of bullets that was purchased same time gun was. Exterior of original cardboard box is a little torn up, but gun is flawless. Has all paperwork that came with gun.

2nd is a Colt .45 1911 style. It is hard chrome finish (my dad thinks, could be nickel) and is also NIB. I figured I will prob. have to get more info on this one to get accurate price but please tell me what to look for to get accurate value

3rd is a S&W .44. My dad describes this as the Dirty Harry gun. Exact barrel legnth is unknown at this time. He said he thinks its Stainless but not sure. This is another NIB. Same with this one on looking for any info that will make it easier to determine value.

Any help would be appreciated. This will be really nice pieces for collectors out there but we don't want to sell one for way too cheap because we are uneducated on what they are worth. Thanks in advance for the help.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I will respectfully suggest you go to gunbroker.com , and or gunsamerica.com and do some looking to get a rough idea , You did not put near enough info into the post to evaluate the firearms imo. Both smith revolvers , and colt 1911s values are extreamly dependant on the indivigual firearm , you really cant set a value without knowing a lot more about the specific firearm .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I will respectfully suggest you go to gunbroker.com , and or gunsamerica.com and do some looking to get a rough idea , You did not put near enough info into the post to evaluate the firearms imo. Both smith revolvers , and colt 1911s values are extreamly dependant on the indivigual firearm , you really cant set a value without knowing a lot more about the specific firearm .
    I was kinda afraid of that. Can you give me some pointers on the type of info that will be needed?

for the colt year of manuf will help a lot to determine the nickel or hard chrome lot of what's its worth will go off the year

If you wish to pm me around the first 4 digits of the serial # ill look it up as far as i can go

Ass-uming these were bought in the 60s-70s, you could have some good ($$) pieces. If they are as-NIB, the next question is: do they all have the original box(s) and papers/manuals? "NIB" is used frequently, but..... Bud can help you quite a bit, I'm sure. If you can get good pics, that would give the best idea.

Assistant Administrator
    All three potentially have some good value - in particular what sounds to be a Smith M29 or 629.

The John Wayne 32-40 lever was if I recall made in quite large numbers but even so - if NIB then probably should fetch a fair price.

Agreed tho - you'll have to do some sleuthing on the gun selling sites to get a feel. Armed with all the info you can find.

The Smith should have some info on the frame under where the crane hinges out - check that and I can help maybe too if I have some SN figures - first three or so should do. - so quote number like ''N 1234xxx'' type of deal.

The 1911 will be down to what Bud and other buffs can deduce for you. Sounds like it might be a Gov A1 if relatively old.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    A new in box factory nickel Colt .45 should fetch a very nice price.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links