School sanctioned shooting

This is a discussion on School sanctioned shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Trying to help my son with a paper for school. I remember back in Georgia when I was in school, there were "school sanctioned shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: School sanctioned shooting

Trying to help my son with a paper for school. I remember back in Georgia when I was in school, there were "school sanctioned shooting events", from time to time.

Now, it seems like such a shock......and my sons teacher seems to think it never happened. When I do a web search for supporting documents or accounts, entering key words like "school"+"guns"+"shooting", etc., the searches are populated with everything in today's popular gun debate (no surprise).

Even my wife thinks I am nuts, but I explain to her that it was a very different time. Anyone else remember this or have their own "gun friendly school story" to share?

Thanks
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Believe It Or Not....when I started High School here in New Jersey...saw kids putting rifle cases in their lockers....found out back then there was a shooting club that went to an indoor range via school bus to shoot.....Geeeezzz....how things have deteriorated.

When I was in elementary school, the local NRA guys came into our school and invited us to sign up for an air rifle marksmanship class that ran 8 weeks, gave us information for our parents. I think that was third grade, in 1971 I guess.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

...uncased shotguns went to elementary school on a schoolbus...sat in the locker for the coats at the back of the room all day...unlocked...went to a friends' house on his bus...hunted the weekend...repeated Monday and back home...no teacher/driver ever touched the gun...just asked if it were empty...more common sense and good parenting(training) back then...'59-'60...
    surefire7 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    High school in 1968 had an indoor range in the basement for the JROTC. Better times then, going to your next class reeking of gunpowder.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

It was a different time then and kids were more respectful.....because parents demanded respect and society wasn't excusing bad behavior then.

Don't think it would be safe in schools now, just look at all the adult "noobs" with poor muzzle control at the indoor range today. It would be great if we could recondition the public on guns back to the childhood I remember. Not going to happen though.
    surefire7 and JoJoGunn like this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    discoboxer likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

discoboxer likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I've posted this before, but here goes.

Back in the early 1970's I would go to the YMCA and shoot .22's in the basement (something like 25 cents for 10 shots, and my parents would give me a dollar every Saturday). I also went hunting with my Dad, got a .22 for Christmas when I was 7 (which I kept in my room), etc. It was just pretty typical Midwestern behavior.

In 10th grade Speech class we needed to give a 10 minute speech on something we knew a lot about. My speech was on deer hunting. This was a very large but fairly rural High School. We were told we could use props, so I asked if I could bring my 30-30. "No problem, just don't bring ammo." Brought it on the bus in the morning, no questions at all. It sat in my Locker the first half of the day - no issues whatsoever. I brought in (in a case) to class, gave my talk, and then passed it around. Nobody pointed it an anyone. Nobody freaked out. It was interesting but a non-event. After I was done the teacher said I could go put my rifle back in my locker. The Principal saw me walking the halls, asked what I had (I told him), asked what it was for (I told him), asked if was loaded (I replied No), and then he just told me to hurry along so I didn't miss any more class time than necessary. As I entered the bus for the ride home the bus driver asked what I had, if it was loaded, if I had ever killed a deer, and that was it.

Today, kids bringing a picture of a gun to school and talking about hunting are likely to get into trouble. It's amazing how things change in 30 years. Back then we didn't have school shootings or the type of mass shootings we have today. Kids didn't need to practice "Code RED" drills where the teacher locks the door and then they hide quietly in a corner of the room. It's completely crazy what society has become.

Anyway, a true story from a much better time that was not so long ago.
    Snub44, discoboxer, niks and 3 others like this.

They still have competitions around here. A buddy of mine used to be a coach on the high school shooting team.

N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission News Releases
    discoboxer and blitzburgh like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    Trying to help my son with a paper for school.

When I do a web search for supporting documents or accounts, entering key words like "school"+"guns"+"shooting", etc., the searches are populated with everything in today's popular gun debate (no surprise).
    A search for the following might turn up some examples for you. Rifle / Pistol, depending on what you're looking for:

• "high school rifle team"
    • "university rifle team"
    • "school shooting club"
    discoboxer likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

last summer was the last shot gun activity for middle and high school grades sponsored by a middle school teacher. He introduced the Kids to gun safety, Sheet, Trap and sporting clays at the public ranges.
    We still have a strong archery program in our schools and yes they shoot in gym.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I had friends at a nearby high school. They had a rifle team who would shoot .22 in the basement of the school. We would keep shotguns in cars in the parking lot to go hunting after school. Some kids parked in the ack lot near the shop classes. The teacher would let them get their rifle or shotgun out of their car and refinish the wood for a grade in woods class. That was the '90's.

Now you ban everything and make it illegal or taboo, and what happens? Criminals begin stealing it. Not to say that guns weren't stolen 50 yrs ago, but the drug trafficking has made it far worse. I wouldn't put a firearm in a school locker today even if it was legal. I also wouldn't trust 99% of the demasculated PC babysat kids today. My dad said the same thing about my friends, and he was right about 80% of them.

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    Trying to help my son with a paper for school. I remember back in Georgia when I was in school, there were "school sanctioned shooting events", from time to time.

Now, it seems like such a shock......and my sons teacher seems to think it never happened. When I do a web search for supporting documents or accounts, entering key words like "school"+"guns"+"shooting", etc., the searches are populated with everything in today's popular gun debate (no surprise).
    You need to brush up on your Google-fu. Search for "school shooting team" and you will find that school sanctioned shooting events are alive and well in some places.

Here's an example from the past week:
    Shooting team notches historic win - The Cherokee Scout - Cherokee County, N.C.'s local newspaper - Sports

Even at the university level. Memphis Tigers Official Athletic Site - Rifle
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links