What do you do with all the accessories that come in the box from the factory?

This is a discussion on What do you do with all the accessories that come in the box from the factory? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As my gun collection has grown I've started to question my typical method of handling the accessories that come in the box with various handguns. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do you do with all the accessories that come in the box from the factory?

Sponsor

What do you do with all the accessories that come in the box from the factory?

As my gun collection has grown I've started to question my typical method of handling the accessories that come in the box with various handguns. I like to keep some of the basic stuff, like original owners manual and fired casing in the original box. However I'm not sure how to handle some things. For example what do you guys do with your extra magazines? Baseplates? replaceable grips?

The biggest issue I have? What to do with conversion cylinders with my Ruger convertible single actions.

The problem I have is keeping track of everything while still making it accessible for range use. I'm considering investing in a few pelican cases with the pick-n-pluck foam and systematically storing each important accessory that comes with the gun, the type that I really don't want to lose track of. Something that has a spot and a label for everything of importance (this way accountability will be easy). I'm thinking about doing the same for magazines.

How do you handle this issue?

Thanks!
    Clay

2. Remove Ads

All my spare mags are in the safe, so at least they're in the same 30 cubic feet so they can't get TOO lost! I tend to use Akro Bins or similar for organizing.

In my gun service/reloading area, I have a couple of Rubbermaid storage bins which hold all the spares I don't need often. My 1911 spares (old grips, parts replaced from upgrades, etc) are typically in baggies in a shoebox inside the bin. Odd-sized stuff like the bayonet off the SKS goes in the bin loose.

I'm constantly fiddling with the 10/22s and I've generated lots of spare parts which I access frequently. These are in the Glad or Rubbermaid food storage containers of various sizes - these are the ones with snap-on lids. Similar sizes within brand are stackable, so these tend to get stacked on the workbench so they're accessible but not immediately in the way.

All paperwork such as service records or bills of sale are kept in a "redwell" type folder which is in the safe along with other important papers.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I take the easy path and just leave it in the boxes. Which are under the bed. If I owned my own place (renting an apt) I would likely have them stored in the attic or basement but still in the box. ummm mags would be in my safe/cab though.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    All my spare mags are in the safe ...

In my gun service/reloading area, I have a couple of Rubbermaid storage bins which hold all the spares I don't need often.

Glad or Rubbermaid food storage containers of various sizes - these are the ones with snap-on lids. Similar sizes within brand are stackable ...

All paperwork such as service records or bills of sale are kept in a "redwell" type folder which is in the safe along with other important papers.

Pretty much what I do. Works fairly well. Protects the "extras," and it keeps things sorted and easily accessible.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

all my mags for 9 40 45 are numbered and kept in a bag with some of my ammo ready to go if i ever need to get the mags fast for a reload. i keep my accessories in a bag in a few different pouches i also use the bag for my shotgun shells. keep my handgun ammo in a ammo can and a bag to grab quickly also.

...don't have a safe...extra items are in quart ziploc heavy freezer bags with what it is/goes to on the labelling patch...clean, together in one drawer of a 4-drawer filing cabinet...quick to go through...I don't keep boxes...not a collector and don't have room...

Lead Moderator
    All spare parts are either in a cabinet or if smaller placed In a large fishing tackle box similar to my cleaning kit. Having a decent workshop area helps to keep everything organized.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

And all the extra cable locks.
    Put them all in a box make other gun stuff, and every few years I get a bigger box. I give all paper work to my wife she never loses anything.

I have taken an exacto and cut a place out of the foam padding for extra accessories in the original case.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I borrowed an idea from someone else and made a "Dresser of Fun"

I had an old dresser that no one was using anymore, so I moved it into the room with my gun safe. One drawer is for holsters, one for mags, one for spare parts, one for knives, and one for anything else.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

keep in the box and/or goes to the foot locker/desk/wood box. i got stuff all over the man cave these days. i am out of control, got to do some cleaning.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member
    I keep all extra parts, locks, manuals and stuff in the box the gun came in. The box and all its stuff can add value to a trade or a sale.

I have a pistol safe dedicated to ammo and all the extra bits right on top of my largest rifle safe.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I borrowed an idea from someone else and made a "Dresser of Fun"

I had an old dresser that no one was using anymore, so I moved it into the room with my gun safe. One drawer is for holsters, one for mags, one for spare parts, one for knives, and one for anything else.
    Thats a pretty cool idea.

Whatever came with my guns that I dont use stays in the case or box. And anything that I use usally is in my range bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links