Legality of Building an AR for Someone Else

This is a discussion on Legality of Building an AR for Someone Else within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My shooting buddies all know that I built my AR from scratch by myself and that I am getting the ball rolling on a new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Legality of Building an AR for Someone Else

My shooting buddies all know that I built my AR from scratch by myself and that I am getting the ball rolling on a new AR build. A friend of mine is also going to get a stripped lower and asked to pay me to assemble it. Since I'm not actually selling him the lower and acting more as a gunsmith, is this going to break any laws?

Administrator
    no.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you live in a private transfer state, you're basically just giving him a free rifle after he gives you a free lower. Are you charging him for your services?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myrkr View Post
    If you live in a private transfer state, you're basically just giving him a free rifle after he gives you a free lower. Are you charging him for your services?
    That's not even close to the truth. Nobody is giving anyone anything (except free labor). You don't "give" your car to the mechanic, he just works on it for you.
    DMan likes this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I personally would help him build his lower,theres nothing wrong with it and he will learn a lot about his gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If he is giving you the lower and paying for the additional parts, then all you are providing him is with labor. Even if you charge him, I don't see anything wrong with that.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I'm no lawyer. You should consult with a firearms attorney to be certain.

That said, here is my understanding, PLEASE CORRECT ME!

I was always told that the lower is the serialized portion of the gun and therefore the BATFE considers it the firearm. If you work on someone else's gun for free that is ok so long as you do not keep it over a certain period of time (I believe that you cannot keep it overnight). As long as you are not receiving anything in return then you are a hobbiest gunsmith. If you take ANYTHING in payment (money, goods, services), then you are a commercial gunsmith and require an FFL. If this were an 80% lower you would need manufactures FFL to transfer it for profit to someone else.

And that's just what the BATF website appears to say, your local laws may vary.

Now, if you owned the lower (say he sold it too you) you built yourself a rifle and later decided to sell it private party... (I'm not sure if that would stand up in court or not)

Please someone correct this. I've been looking into possibly getting my FFL to do gunsmithing as a part time thing, so I need to find good resources on this stuff. I'm scared to do it right now cause of the current environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked this out on the net. Your best bet is have your buddy bring over the lower. Then you help him assemble it. It you don't get it finished in a day have him take it home with him. When your all done working on it sell him something you have laying around the house like an old fishing rod or something.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.

Both of my ARs were built by my buddy. I just sat there and picked his brain as he did it. A lower takes way less than an hr to put together and I doubt an upper takes much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Quote Originally Posted by chazc View Post
    Just checked this out on the net. Your best bet is have your buddy bring over the lower. Then you help him assemble it. It you don't get it finished in a day have him take it home with him. When your all done working on it sell him something you have laying around the house like an old fishing rod or something.
    Along this line - a guy was selling pencils outside Busch Stadium during a Cardinals World Series. He was selliing pencils for $50@. For each pencil purchased, he gave away a World Series admission ticket. I don't know how it would work with the ATF, but it managed to keep this guy out of trouble with the police at the stadium.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by chazc View Post
    It you don't get it finished in a day have him take it home with him.
    If you don't finish it in a day, something is seriously wrong. Heck, an hour is slow going if you're doing a kit build...

Assuming you have all the tools you need that is. Not gonna finish if you don't have any tools ;) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teach them how to build one, surely couldn't get in trouble for "instruction" and 'training. Of course, one thing about any good training, is demonstration by the Instructor.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Good luck getting all the parts for it, lower parts kits have been on backorder for a couple of months. Brownell's was supposed to get some lower parts kits in December, but they still have not received them.

As far as people talking about the transfer. The receiver is purchased through a FFL. If you buy it the lower with the intent of giving it away, that is a straw purchase. This doesn't appear to the be the case. If someone else purchases the lower, gives it to you, you work on it and give it back, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that based on FEDERAL laws. Some of the state laws on the other hand may have issues with an AR possession. With all the changes regarding that I can only keep up with my states laws.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That's not even close to the truth. Nobody is giving anyone anything (except free labor). You don't "give" your car to the mechanic, he just works on it for you.
    We're talking about the ATF, not a garage. If I'm not mistaken, you need an FFL to work on someone elses gun for cash. Apparently not so for free labor. Furthermore, if a gunsmith has to keep a gun longer than a day, he'll have to run another background check on the guns owner before he returns it. Pretty sure that was mentioned above. So you could do what chazc said, or if the OP wanted to do it solo, he could have it 'transferred' (i.e. given) to him and he could complete it and give it back. It pretty much boils down to if he's doing it alone or with his buddy and whether or not it takes more than a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links