incident at the range yesterday.

This is a discussion on incident at the range yesterday. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I finally calmed down after an incident at the range yesterday. scenario: I'm load testing at 100 yard and the range goes cold, So ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: incident at the range yesterday.

So I finally calmed down after an incident at the range yesterday.

scenario: I'm load testing at 100 yard and the range goes cold, So I get up go down range and start stapling new targets up and BANG! the round missed me by about 10 feet.

I instantly turned and ran full boar at the dude who's screaming "I'm sorry I didn't mean to" I get to him and grab him by his shirt with all intentions of beating his teeth out of his skull but there were children there and I didn't want to make it worse so my brain was right this time. I wanted to beat this dude to an inch of his life as he keeps screaming he didn't mean to. I turned to look at everyone on the range and said "this is why you open the action and leave your weapon alone when the range is cold. Luckily no one was hurt and a very valuable lesson is learned" the dude that fired at me on accident packed up and left right after that.

One dad was there told me that he wouldn't of handled it that way.

I still cant believe that happened

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I wish I could say I'm surprised. Even though range officers can be extremely annoying they typically do a nice job of keeping crap like this from happening.
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    You certainly had a right to be PO'd, but you gotta control the anger. Verbals are fine but when you grabbed the guy the shirt events could have spiraled out of control. And *you* would have been the aggressor...But I understand how you could have been so angry - letting a round fly when you are down range is inexcusable.

I'm always wary when I'm at a range. I've been swept several times and it scares the bejeezus out of me, even if the lane dividers are ballistic glass. I usually ask for a lane with the wall on my right. That's one less person I need to watch out for. Most people are right handed so they tend turn left when manipulating the firearm...
    Snub44, msgt/ret, mano3 and 2 others like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Guy was an idiot no question about it. No defense for what he did.

Just a thought. Running full bore up to and grabbing an armed person in a threatening manner who is obviously scared of you and has just done one idiotic thing might provoke that person to totally lose it and blow you away before you reached him????

Not saying that you shouldnt have been angry or incensed or any excuse for the goofball you charged. Just a little food for thought that a person badly frightened of you and a bit of an idiot anyway might have shot you out of fear???? Right or wrong?

A scared person is more dangerous with a gun than any BG youll meet up with. Right or not ehhh dead is dead.
    Hope you never have this problem again. Shouldnt have this time.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Glad you're ok, and glad you were able to maintain some composure. That's scary stuff!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    So I finally calmed down after an incident at the range yesterday.

scenario: I'm load testing at 100 yard and the range goes cold, So I get up go down range and start stapling new targets up and BANG! the round missed me by about 10 feet.

I instantly turned and ran full boar at the dude who's screaming "I'm sorry I didn't mean to" I get to him and grab him by his shirt with all intentions of beating his teeth out of his skull but there were children there and I didn't want to make it worse so my brain was right this time. I wanted to beat this dude to an inch of his life as he keeps screaming he didn't mean to. I turned to look at everyone on the range and said "this is why you open the action and leave your weapon alone when the range is cold. Luckily no one was hurt and a very valuable lesson is learned" the dude that fired at me on accident packed up and left right after that.

One dad was there told me that he wouldn't of handled it that way.

I still cant believe that happened
    Re: First part in bold, that's assault and very nearly assault and battery. Just because you were angry doesn't give you the
    right to do that to someone else. The stuff about children being around has nothing to do with anything. You either know how
    and when to control your anger or you don't.

Second part in bold. The other dad is right.

What happened shouldn't have, but of course the guy didn't try to off you and you knew that much. Stuff happens.
    You almost made it a lot worse for yourself than necessary. If you actually punched him out, you'd lose your
    CHL etc., or worse.

No excuse on either side.
    Snub44, mrm, mr.stuart and 4 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I wish I could say I'm surprised. Even though range officers can be extremely annoying they typically do a nice job of keeping crap like this from happening.
    no range officer, just a range in the talladega Forrest

I have left a range many times because I see people mishandling firearms, sweeping the whole range and just generally poor trigger discipline.

I had a friend who some friends and i introduced to shooting point a shotgun at my stomach in a joking manner. I smacked the shotgun out of his hand and lifted him off the ground by his throat and told him if he ever did it agin it would be the last thing he did.

Needless to say he took gun safety very seriously after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

I grew up playing ice hockey and grew up lending to my fists doing work, I'm 28 now and grew out of that faze of my life and just glad I was able to curb the anger
    srings likes this.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Scary stuff... I'm fortunate that my range is my property and i'm the only one i have to worry about.

One CHL class with people acting dumb, waving guns around etc is all the "range" time i hope i ever have to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Re: First part in bold, that's assault and very nearly assault and battery. Just because you were angry doesn't give you the
    right to do that to someone else. The stuff about children being around has nothing to do with anything. You either know how
    and when to control your anger or you don't.

Second part in bold. The other dad is right.

What happened shouldn't have, but of course the guy didn't try to off you and you knew that much. Stuff happens.
    You almost made it a lot worse for yourself than necessary. If you actually punched him out, you'd lose your
    CHL etc., or worse.

No excuse on either side.
    Well I'm pretty sure that discharging a firearm in the general direction of another human being is a much worse crime than assault.

You shoot a gun ten feet from a cop.. even at a range... and then youll be able to tell me how a body bag feels or your inmate number..

Would not go to that range again PERIOD.

VIP Member
    that is freaking scary, bro. Most importantly glad you are OK. God was looking out for you. As for the other guy...he will never forget it either and hopefully will take his gun/range safety/focus to the level all of our lives demand. It'll be a while before he's back at the range.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    Well I'm pretty sure that discharging a firearm in the general direction of another human being is a much worse crime than assault.

You shoot a gun ten feet from a cop.. even at a range... and then youll be able to tell me how a body bag feels or your inmate number..

Uh, one was an act of negligence with NO consequence. The other was a deliberate and intentional assault.
    Big difference.

Now, had that bullet struck PIMKing there would be a whole other set of issues which could possibly include
    murder 1 if a DA thought they guy used the range as a place to get away with offing someone. But, that's not
    what happened.
    mrm, Sig 210, KBSR and 1 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post

I instantly turned and ran full boar at the dude ... and grab him by his shirt with all intentions of beating his teeth out of his skull
    Yeah, run in a threatening manor towards someone who has already proven to be unsafe with a gun... not my cup o' tea.
    mrm likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links