Well this happened yesterday

This is a discussion on Well this happened yesterday within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the range yesterday testing my RIA 1911 after having a new thumb safety installed (after that MIM part failed). Everything was fine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Well this happened yesterday

I was at the range yesterday testing my RIA 1911 after having a new thumb safety installed (after that MIM part failed). Everything was fine for the first seventeen rounds, and then I felt something land in the webbing of my hand by the beavertail. I just thought it was brass, but then on closer inspection, it was the hammer! The dang thing snapped right off.

I called customer service right at the range, and they were very helpful and apologetic since I have only had this since Christmas with fewer than 500 rounds through it. The whole call didn't even last five minutes. They offered to send me the part because of a larger than usual backlog from getting shut down for an ATF audit, but I really didn't feel like dealing with it. I got home, printed out the return label they sent me, and dropped it off at FedEx shortly after.

This is the second major breakdown of this gun, but things have been made right both times. I still consider the gun a great deal for the money, but I'm not sure if I will get a second Rock.

Also, this isn't MIM bashing. If it's done right, I think it's great, but if not....well.
    Attached Images

Interesting. At first blush it looks case-hardened, but that never goes deeper than ten thou or so. I'd love to examine the failed pieces.

Now RIA needs to run a manufacturing audit!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    Wow that's pretty bad.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

If truly a 1911 design, then it sounds like a good time to install a toughened hammer (assuming the RIA will accept it).

Bummer, on the parts failures. These sorts of things are one of the reasons I dislike doing anything less than 1000rds on my carry guns, initially. Not that that'll catch everything, of course. You never know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    In my ezperience, the custom 1911's have always been problematic to some extent. Atleast the company stands by its workmanship and takes care of their customer.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If truly a 1911 design, then it sounds like a good time to install a toughened hammer (assuming the RIA will accept it).

Bummer, on the parts failures. These sorts of things are one of the reasons I dislike doing anything less than 1000rds on my carry guns, initially. Not that that'll catch everything, of course. You never know.
    It is a series 70 1911 design. I thought about ordering a Wilson hammer since I like their thumb safety I had installed after the failure of the stock one, but the hammer wasn't in my original plan of tweaks and upgrades when I bought the gun, so I sent it to Armscor in Nevada.

I was just going to swap it out for my G19 as my carry piece and leave if it got through a magazine without trouble, but decided to stay and have some fun. I'm glad I did.

Unfortunately....MIM parts are prone to breakage and RIA slides and frames are cast not machined steel which means under close inspection of a glass you can see the pock marks and any defects in the metal......why do ya think a Colt is +$900.00 and these other 1911 models are so cheap....You get what you pay for.
    DaveInEdmonds and atctimmy like this.

Well I have heard that their customer service is top notch and as you realized when buying it, it is less expensive for a reason. The only real negative I have heard regarding them was in fact the metal quality. As long as the rest holds up I am sure it will make a great range gun.

As I planned on carrying the 1911 I bought I went with a Colt for the reasons given by xXxplosive.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

GH
    Did you try to put the hammer back on with duct tape? Super Glue? If those didn't work then your call to RIA was definitrly justified.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Did you try to put the hammer back on with duct tape? Super Glue? If those didn't work then your call to RIA was definitrly justified.
    All I had was gaffers tape.
    Taurahe likes this.

...not dissing your economy-priced 1911, but I think you're worth the best quality firearm made...so is your family...bite the bullet and buy proven quality and divide the cost by how many years you live...the best is still cheap...
    91wm6 likes this.

Best service dept. means nothing if the gun is literally falling apart.......sounds like a potential bomb in your hand while shooting it.....these guns I refer to as "Replicas"...simply because they're made cheap and sold cheap......NG.
    Snub44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    All I had was gaffers tape.
    If gaffers tape wont hold, nothing will
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I'm thinking the Hammer was "Married" to the gun...and lost it's will to live
    msgt/ret, atctimmy and Poseidon like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm thinking the Hammer was "Married" to the gun...and lost it's will to live
    Well the slide just kept pushing it around.
    91wm6 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links