Spokane debates shooting auto theft suspects

This is a discussion on Spokane debates shooting auto theft suspects within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Spokane-area residents debate: Should car thieves be shot? A lively discussion about justice, self-defense, property rights and the use of lethal force has erupted in ...

View Poll Results: Should shooting auto thieves be considered justified?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 57.93%
  • No

38 23.17%
  • Not sure

31 18.90%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: Spokane debates shooting auto theft suspects

Spokane-area residents debate: Should car thieves be shot?

A lively discussion about justice, self-defense, property rights and the use of lethal force has erupted in Spokane this week in the wake of a fatal Monday morning shooting in which a recidivist car thief was fatally shot by his latest victim as he drove away in the shooter’s Chevy Suburban.

Spokane-area residents debate: Should car thieves be shot? - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

Feel free to cut and past any comment you leave here in the reader response section below my column.
    Norm66 likes this.

I have no problems with shooting a thief if he is on my property. I don't care what he is stealing, he has violated my privacy and taken the law into his own hands, he therefore faces the consequences of what I feel is justified to protect my property.. Including death.. I worked hard for my belongings and will not give them up without a fight.

Gary

It depends, so I had to vote "Not sure" . If I'm not physically threatened or in the car, then I'll let him take the car. If I'm in the car when he tries to steal it, I'll protect myself. In the situation described and what we are told, I would probably let him take the car and call the cops.
    gregnsc, Yetiman and bigpapa like this.

Its not legal here to use lethal force over property except in certain situations, prevent arson of a dwelling etc.
    So its not a option yet at least. If it was I have no problem shooting a thief on my property.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

i would let the thief take the car, unless lives were at risk. for one thing, taking a life in the absence of a threat to your life is generally considered an over-reaction, and could easily land the shooter in jail.. in the second place, the hassles involved (for the Good Guy), after the shooting are just not worth it, IMO. call the cops and your insurance company.
    RickyD, Hodad, DingBat and 2 others like this.

Any thief is worth shooting IMHO... but it's not legal in most places.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

For everybody that wants to shoot a robber....are you saying it is OK to shoot an unarmed person in the back if they are running away with your stuff?
    Secret Spuk, PEF, DingBat and 2 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I would let him take the vehicle unless he tried to run me down with said vehicle, Then I would fire on them. I like the idea of a new truck!
    DingBat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    For everybody that wants to shoot a robber....are you saying it is OK to shoot an unarmed person in the back if they are running away with your stuff?
    Was he trying to back over the shooter?

I don't think he should be shot if he was just driving away in the vehicle.
    Now if he was stealing a horse: hanging is in order.
    JTNiggle likes this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I think I'd prefer to have my stolen vehicle not shot full of holes with a bloody mess inside.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Mine was stolen in 98.I may would have shot out a tire,had i caught them,but,i really don't know what i would have done.I'm pretty sure,i wouldn't have shot them,even as mad as i was.Since it wasnt self defense,don't think that would have been a good thing to do.Because of the anti-theft device,they only got 2 blocks with it,and left it there.When they would hot wire it,they had 30 seconds before they had to hot wire again.I guess they got tired of that.Maybe,if they went back to doing what they use to do,to horse thieves,some of the stealing may slow,some down.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    In my state thats not legal as of yet. So no I wouldnt. But to answer your question if it were legal If they would not stop after being warned too, Yes.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    I voted not sure because it really depends. I am not taking someone's life, and exposing myself to the legal hell of a shooting just to save a car. That is why I have insurance.

However, as others have noted, if there are any lives in danger - car jacking, threat of being run down, etc., then it is like any other justifiable shooting.

Although it's not legal I think it should be. The would be theif knows if they are confronted by the owner odds are there will be an altercation of some sort including being shot at. They know the risks but chose to take the gamble; this theif lost.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

In Texas if they are stealing my car at night, it is justified. In AR no. So I would not shoot him/them.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links