Spent the evening feeding the new pony

This is a discussion on Spent the evening feeding the new pony within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...and its getting to be work, but very enjoyable! I am so glad I dont have to stress about whats on the local dealers shelves, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Spent the evening feeding the new pony

...and its getting to be work, but very enjoyable! I am so glad I dont have to stress about whats on the local dealers shelves, or God forbid, Walmart!
    Put together a few rounds for range work. The load is a 225 grn TC lead over Unique. This load was Chronographed at a smooth 800 fps and is very accurate. Id use it for a number of things, even SD. I'll give a range report with pics this weekend.

Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Be careful they have voracious appetites. But it looks like you have a good start.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well, being a Colt, it's not surprising it eats like a horse. Colt= My Little Pony with an attitude. I hope to get to feed a pony some day.

Sure with I could find some Unique around these parts... I load my .45s with Titegroup (plenty on hand) but bmcg has enticed me to use Unique for the .38s. About the only powder available locally right now is Pyrodex!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Sure with I could find some Unique around these parts... I load my .45s with Titegroup (plenty on hand) but bmcg has enticed me to use Unique for the .38s. About the only powder available locally right now is Pyrodex!
    Lol, yeah Bryan has that persuasive way about him when it comes to the 38. I've got about 3 pounds of Unique left, hopefully things will look up on the supply's.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Doesn't take much to make a .45 a reliable fight stopper, does it?
    I wish I could say I have a Colt 1911. My Kimber is waiting for snow to melt. We had a dusting this morning with more white stuff in the near forecast.

"Put together a few rounds for range work. The load is a 225 grn TC lead over Unique. This load was Chronographed at a smooth 800 fps and is very accurate."

This sounds like a really appealing handload. A real general purpose handload for the .45 ACP. Something that will accomplish much of what a .45 pistol could be called on to do. Not a powder puff target load and not a barn-burner "+P equivalent" load but, since it's got the bonus of being accurate, is suitable for everything from popping tin cans to ridding the backyard of varmints, paper punching, taking afield for hiking, or for personal self-defense. It can't be considered a bad choice for any of these functions and is bound to give "full .45 ACP satisfaction" to the shooter. For that matter it will deliver "full .45 ACP satisfaction" on target as well.

I used to try to keep three different loads on hand for my favorite handguns. Some effort was expended working up the loads, mostly because it is fun to do so. These are a "light target" handload, a "general purpose" handload, and a "home defense" handload. Silly terms but that's how I label them in my mind.

The light target load was for bulls-eye competition, fun plinking, or training sessions with others.

The "general purpose" load was intended to stand in for most any application and do a competent job with each. I've also called this one the "field" load.

The "home defense" load was the successful result of experimental handloading that pushed things to the absolute limit and was intended for self-defense or hunting applications.

In recent years I've become lazy and don't keep all these different types of handloads on hand at all times, for all the favored handguns. For the most part, it's the "home defense" loads that have gone by the wayside. There generally are heavy .38 Special and .44 Magnum loads on hand but for the rest I've lightened up in more recent times.

Yea Colt .45 automatics!
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Great minds and kindred spirits and all, I think, lol. That exactly how I catagorize my loads. I too have scaled back on keeping track of every load that I have produced. I guess now I just have settled on favorites and, over the years developed a " library" mentally of what's what with each component and just put them together to satisfy my need at the time.

After years of shooting big bores and even destroying 2 N frames from excessively hot loads by shooting them loose from frame stretch, I have come to just enjoy letting the big bullets do the work from moderate velocity.

The 41 magnum, and the 44 spl are two that I have a lot of experience with, and have come to the conclusion that 200+ grain bullets at 900 -1000 fps or so are all that's needed for hunting or general use.

Come to think about it, seems like every load I use for every application and every big bore caliber is put together with a 800-1000 fps " sweet spot" , which covers anything beginning with a "4".

I particularly like the 225 TC lead bullet in the 45acp. It feeds smoothly and has just enough of a flat tip to be serious. Packed in an old military tanker style shoulder holster, it should be good enough to disuade even a cranky ol black bear that woke up on the wrong side of the den. But is still good for bunnies or plinking.

And enough good cant be stated about good ol Unique powder. I could get by with nothing else for my handgun applications.

One of the Colts will indeed be with me this spring as the little woman and myself start our weekend backpacking expeditions.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nice! Fired off that 9.3 elephant gun yet?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Glockman, What do you use to catch your brass? I do alot of shooting outdoors in wooded area and it gets hard to find it all.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanls2 View Post
    Glockman, What do you use to catch your brass? I do alot of shooting outdoors in wooded area and it gets hard to find it all.
    Pickup truck bed:)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nice! Fired off that 9.3 elephant gun yet?
    Yes! Just a few rounds to get a feel for it. I have to get dies so I can handload it.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Pickup truck bed:)
    Nice idea. But at my club we move and shoot. I guess I need someone to drive the truck around and catch my brass.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Nice idea. But at my club we move and shoot. I guess I need someone to drive the truck around and catch my brass.
    Stop moving and do more shooting.

I must admit I'm a bit jealous of you're reloading capabilities...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links