Glock 27 at the range

This is a discussion on Glock 27 at the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today I bought a 27, went to the range fired off 121 target rds and critical duty. Didn't have any problems what so ever with ...

Thread: Glock 27 at the range

Glock 27 at the range

Today I bought a 27, went to the range fired off 121 target rds and critical duty. Didn't have any problems what so ever with the gun. I did how ever have some issues shooting. I haven't shot in about 9 months so I have to get used to the gun and shooting again I don't remeber the 27 being so peppy last time I shot one. Anyways it was beating my palms to death but I still managed to keep within the target and a couple of bulls i used the sheet with the 5 scoring targets at about 15yards. I found I was pulling and pushing in anticipation probably because my hands were sore and shaking at the end of the session hopefully its just a matter of retraining them haven't been doing anything physical just been driving a lot I drive semis. Any tips to get back in shooting shape. I like the gun plan on keeping it and start carrying again. No problems with grip but I do wonder if a pierce exrension will help.

2. Remove Ads

My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

A hand grip exerciser is always a good idea. I bought this blue donut looking thing from REI for about $10 - it's what climbers use and has worked well for me.

When I first bought my G27 I used Pierce grip extensions, but I switched back after a month or two. They were harder to conceal, would "bite" my palm when practicing reloads, and really didn't help.

What was a huge help for me was my grip. It is a snappy gun and at first I tended to squeeze it harder, which really made my hand tired. I was at Front Sight for training and that was one of the first things they noticed and "fixed." When you have a proper grip (applying pressure to the front with one hand and the rear with the other) you get amazing control without the sore / tired fingers. So, I would work on that first before buying a lot of things. Best of all, this is something you can do during "dry practice" and get used to it without shooting a single shot (start developing the habit).

when i first got my new glock 23 when i turned 21, i havent shot handguns in a while cause i didnt have one so i was always shooting my home defense shotgun. anyway i was shooting porly but by the end of the day i already seen a differnce. and now 3 months later im better with my glock 40 than my other handguns. just practice more i bet by the time you put 400-500 rounds through it you will be satisfied with your shooting skills with it

mkh
    Gen 3 or 4?

Just picked up a 23 gen 4 last Monday and I love the feel of it.

Sorry for the delay its a gen 3. Thanks for the tips I'm gonna pick up the grip exerciseer and try out that shooting technique I do grasp pretty firmly.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
    I do grasp pretty firmly.
    My knuckles were actually turning white because I was grabbing it so hard, which is probably because it was so snappy. But, with the proper (isometric) grip your hands don't get tired and you have much better control. I still use the hand exerciser because it helps with locking the slide open (I practice malfunction clearing both left and right handed).

Well i went to the range today and shot another 100 rounds. I adjusted my grip and tried the push pull as mentioned above and didn't squeeze as hard. Had no pain and gained some control back it was like old times so really appreciate those tips above. As far as accuracy goes I focused on my trigger break and follow through as well as my sight picture and shot a whole lot better today. Just had to get back to the basics seems like i forgot everything lol, but i'm happy with the results. Below is 10 rounds at 25 ft it's far better then what i did last week, have to the range and shoot some more to get where i want to be.
    Attached Images

Assuming that you are right handed it looks like you are still anticipating recoil a bit. All-in-all pretty good groups at 25 feet. Dry practice will help. Slowly squeezing the trigger so that the break is a surprise should help. Also, if you release just far enough to reset the trigger (and not all the way, requiring a full pull) could help if you're not doing that already. Glad to read that you had improvement.

I shoot Critical Defense (supposedly a better round for the short barreled G27), and the only thing I don't like about it is the flash seems more noticeable than other ammo in low-light conditions. In spite of that it's my personal choice for carry ammo. How is the muzzle flash on the Critical Duty?

I attend on doing some dry practice tonight, it helps the commercials go by faster lol. As far as the flash its not bad probably about the same maybe a little less then the critical defense, but it's been awhile since i shot Critical defense. i used to carry that when i had my 26. Didn't really see any flash there was enough there to stand out and make me notice.

I roll with a Pacmyer Tac sleeve. I don't like the bulk, but it helps to tame the hand bite.

That and a Pearce extention of course.

Also lean into the gun and use a solid grip and stance. You want your off them pointing parnell with your trigger finger when it's along the frame. Slightly bend your elbows and lean forward.

I like the Talon grips on my 23C bu theirs not any recoil issue with it being compensated.

In God and Glock we Trust

Trade it in for a M&P 40c. About the same size, holds 10 easily, and handles recoil much better.

I've been having the same problem, pushing left too often. RO watched me shoot last time I was at the range, and suggested I roll my left hand down a little more before gripping the gun. It moved my thumb about a half inch further and just under the slide. Next set of shots were pretty much right down the line.

I shot the 27 before buying my XDSC and didn't like the kick. I felt like I had better control over the XD, but until I put some of that skateboard type stuff on it, I still felt the gun moving around. Don't have that problem now.

Links