An American Martial Art?

This is a discussion on An American Martial Art? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Watched a James Yeager video, as I watch youtube quite often. There was a video in which he stated that "modern pistol craft is THE ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: An American Martial Art?

An American Martial Art?

Watched a James Yeager video, as I watch youtube quite often. There was a video in which he stated that "modern pistol craft is THE American Martial Arts" or something to that effect. Now, most of what James Yeager says is pretty out there, but a lot of it is based in truth. Having looked in to this, I did see that the US does not actually have what would be considered a martial art. We have had guns since the inception of our country, so there was really no need for widespread hand-to-hand combat, or CQB (think Kungfu, Karate, Tae-Kwon-Do, etc). In this, it is a rather interesting find. What do you all think? Is gun fighting THE American Martial Art? As shooters and practitioners of tactical and defensive gunfighting, are we martial artists in our own right?

2. Remove Ads

Some have joked that Klik-Pao is the definitive "martial" art, here. From a certain perspective, there's a grain of truth in that sentiment. Though, unfortunately it's nowhere near as widespread nor deeply-held of a belief sufficient to make it an American art. Certainly, in many of the cities, there's a shoot-first-ask-questions-later mentality amongst many of the most violent, though that's hardly on the "art" end of the scale.

If we can make the turn from dog-eat-dog, blind anti-constitutionalists to a more-enlightened citizenry that upholds defensive arms as being every bit the saving grace they ought to be, then we might just have a chance at having a cultural martial art worthy of the name. Until then, I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to lay claim to it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Some have joked that Klik-Pao is the definitive "martial" art, here. From a certain perspective, there's a grain of truth in that sentiment. Though, unfortunately it's nowhere near as widespread nor deeply-held of a belief sufficient to make it an American art. Certainly, in many of the cities, there's a shoot-first-ask-questions-later mentality amongst many of the most violent, though that's hardly on the "art" end of the scale.

If we can make the turn from dog-eat-dog, blind anti-constitutionalists to a more-enlightened citizenry that upholds defensive arms as being every bit the saving grace they ought to be, then we might just have a chance at having a cultural martial art worthy of the name. Until then, I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to lay claim to it.
    I would agree with you on this. There are people who would use such techniques to blatantly harm others, and there are those with no understanding of what it means to be a "practitioner" or "player" if you will. It is much like this in every martial art I have learned. Instructors will teach you what you should, and should not do. There are always people who will work that system to destructive ends. To lay claim that said klik-pao is a martial art is a bit of a stretch, in the traditional sense. It is, however, the way we have fought and defended ourselves since our inception. In this sense, it is probably a very "unorthodox martial practice." I'm not one to argue semantics, as I am not a lawyer. I just find this factoid to be a very interesting topic of discussion.

Sounds like someone could (and should) invent one. Basic and advanced hand-to-hand combat involving pistols, rifles, knives, etc. Both offensively and defensively. Teach real-world confrontational issues and avoidance based on every-day citizens life. Teach how to protect the home, family, and the individual. Classes could use replica airsoft guns.

While I learned vast amounts, I wish we had done more real-world training when I took taekwondo when I was younger. We had special self defense classes that I attended and some weapons classes. They weren't part of the normal routine, though.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    MCMAP, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program, is an American martial art.
    QKShooter likes this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    This is the first I have heard of this... I will have to do some research on this.

Is it accessible to all, or just Marines/Military?

Jeet Kune Do is an American martial art also.
    Tzadik and rick21 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    That would be Semper Fu. It is godly.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
    Jeet Kune Do is an American martial art also.

It could be argued well that it is as much Chinese though. Bruce based it mostly on the styles of Kung Fu (sic)he learned and then adapted off of that.

Back in the late seventies there was a fusion of TaeKwonDo as taught by Choi Kwang Jo of the International TaeKwonDo Federation and boxing as taught at the Brewster Recreation Center. At the time I was not aware of anyone else combining, as opposed to simply borrowing, from the two disciplines. This was decades before UFC and mixed martial arts captivated the interest of young people. The handskills were pure American but the kicks were obviouly Korean so I'm not sure this would satisfy your criterion. Personally I could care less where it originates, if it works I'd use it.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

What about this:
    American Martial Arts - American Indian Fighting Arts Association - Scottsdale, Arizona Martial Arts : Ten - No - Kishi Dojo
    Accredited by the International Society of Black Belts in 1970, Chulukua Ryu is the first original American martial arts system so accredited. It was specifically for this enormous contribution to the martial arts that SwiftDeer received the Golden Life Achievement Award from the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame in 1994.
    "Chulukua" (pronounced Choo-La'-Ka) is a Cherokee/Mayan word that was taken from the word "Chuluaqui" (Shoo'-loo-quay), which is the primordial life-force energy from which everything is created. This energy is also called "Ki" in Japanese martial arts. "Ryu" is a Japanese word that means 'style', 'tradition' or 'school'. Some of the Chulukua-Ryu techniques were used by Geronimo, who is without question one of the greatest and fiercest warriors that ever lived. In our dojo, this style will teach you, among other skills, how to fight a standing opponent while lying on the ground.
    My wife is Native American/Hispanic and pointed me to this.
    QKShooter and QKShooter like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Any developed fighting skill is a "martial art" regardless of the weapon or origin. I would consider "gunfighting" a martial art and given that the art was organized and taught and has reached it's highest level of development in America that would qualify it to be an American martial art.

While Jeet Kune Do had Wing Chun Gung Fu as it's parent art a good portion of it was abandoned. JKD became more of a method of development using principles to continuously evolve the art rather than an unchanging fixed style. The addition of western boxing, Judo, and a strong side lead taken from fencing among other things made JKD an art unto itself.
    Doghandler likes this.

Martial Matt Dillon
    pgrass101 and QKShooter like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post
    What do you all think? Is gun fighting THE American Martial Art?
    Well I have a few observations. First off, many martial arts are weapons based so it is a legitimate parallel in that sense. However one thing I would immediately add is that it's the dedication to advancing skill and training that would make it a martial art. Simply owning a gun, or having a CCW and reading a forum or two, wouldn't qualify for any martial arts status. That would be about like buying a martial arts belt and watching "Enter the Dragon" and then considering yourself a Jeet Kune Do practitioner.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Moderator
    I prefer the name Gun-go-Pow
    TX expat likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links