Message From IL State Rifle Assoc Executive Director

This is a discussion on Message From IL State Rifle Assoc Executive Director within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I received this yesterday in an e-mail from a friend. What do you think? ------------------------------------------------- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S MESSAGE WHY WE MUST CONTINUE TO FIGHT Just ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 7 Post By MJK
  • 2 Post By MJK
  • 1 Post By KingWalleye
  • 2 Post By nathanjns
  • 4 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By 84160
  • 1 Post By accessbob

Thread: Message From IL State Rifle Assoc Executive Director

Message From IL State Rifle Assoc Executive Director

I received this yesterday in an e-mail from a friend.

What do you think?

-------------------------------------------------

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S MESSAGE

WHY WE MUST CONTINUE TO FIGHT

Just today I had a member call me and ask how much longer the ISRA was going to pester him to call his legislators about gun control bills.

My answer was, “Until we win.”

Ladies and gentlemen, I need to speak to you very plainly about what we are facing in Springfield. What’s going in the Capitol is not some sort of new-age encounter group where gun owners and gun grabbers are searching weepy-eyed for an elusive piece of common ground.

No, what we are engaged in is a nothing less than a good old fashioned street fight. This is the kind of fight where - in the end - one guy goes home while the other guy gets carted away in a box. If you and your fellow gun owners do not stand up for what you believe in, your gun rights will be carted away and dumped on the scrap heap of liberties sacrificed in the name of political and social “progress.”

Many of you may believe that we will win this battle because the facts are on our side. Indeed, if this was a battle over the facts about private firearm ownership, our freedom would be assured.

Unfortunately, the battle for gun rights is not about facts – it is about out and out hatred. The followers of the gun control movement hate people who own guns, plain and simple. There is no way around it – if you own guns, you are the object of the gun controllers’ hatred. As we have witnessed the past few months, the hatred is so deep that these people will stop at nothing to eradicate your freedoms.

Why do gun controllers hate us so much? The answer is actually very simple. The armed citizen is symbolic of freedom and self determination. As our nation’s history has shown, that freedom bestows prosperity and well being. As long as a person is armed, they are free – unrestrained by social convention, unburdened by the priorities of others, unshackled by the intrusion of government.

On the other hand, gun controllers see self-reliance as being an obstacle to social progress. They view freedom as a selfish pursuit that reaps only inequality and despair. The gun controllers and their ilk yearn for a society where the government enforces equity among all citizens at the expense of liberty.

So, ladies and gentlemen, you see that the armed citizen just doesn’t fit into the gun-controllers’ recipe for social and political progress. The gun controllers demand that the underlying philosophy of personal liberty and self reliance be eradicated. Thus, guns and those who own them must be purged from society if society is to “progress.”

Our refusal to submit to their ideal of a gun-free America is why they hate us. And this hatred is nothing new. The following is a quote from an editorial appearing in the February 2, 1997 edition of the “Philadelphia Inquirer.” In the editorial, author Jack Cobbs depicts the hatred gun controllers feel towards gun owners:

“I may have to live in a world with NRA members, but I don’t want them on the school board, or the vestry of my church, or as leaders of my children’s Scout troops, any more than I want KKK members or people who think it’s OK for terrorists to bomb airplanes.”

Cobbs goes on to say:

“Like most of us, they (NRA members) cherish their positions as responsible citizens, and if it becomes clear that the price they must pay to belong to the NRA is to become social pariahs, most will opt for responsibility.”

Cobbs’ editorial plainly shows what we are up against. Don’t fool yourself, Cobbs is not an extremist – he is a moderate among those who support gun control. These people are not interested in any sort of “national dialog” or “balancing the rights of gun owners with public safety,” or any of the other post-Newtown claptrap we’ve seen in the press. The only thing the gun controllers want is to see you hand over your guns – all your guns – to the local police and then just go away.

This is why we must continue to fight in Springfield. This is why you need to keep calling your representatives and senators. They need to be reminded day in and day out that the right to keep and bear arms is not negotiable. They need to be reminded that incremental diminishment of our rights is not acceptable.

The gun controllers are patient. Their plan is to rely on gun owner complacency – to wait us out. The gun controllers expect you to stop making calls to your representatives and senators. They expect you to get distracted by other pursuits while they remain focused on taking your guns away from you.

Gun owner complacency is responsible for people like Obama and Quinn being elected. The more complacent gun owners become, the worse the political landscape becomes. The more gun owners let others make decisions for them, the more oppressive the outcomes of those decisions become.

Remember – preservation and protection of the right to keep and bear arms is a moral imperative. With a diminished Second Amendment, this country will become unrecognizable to those who cherish freedom and self determination.

Richard Pearson
    ISRA Executive Director
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

2. Remove Ads

Tellin' it like it is, and right on the money. Great letter.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I find the language in this letter disappointing. I have been a gun owner for almost fifty years. I am a member of the NRA. I have a ccp and I carry every day. So I'm sure someone out there is going to start calling me names after my post is read. At some point, this type of fear mongering has to stop. There are extremes on gun control on both sides of the issue. With the exception of Illinois, who I have to admit is its own special place. Concerning gun ownership, in all my years, I have not lost one freedom. With the exception of a waiting period for buying a handgun, I have not been "infringed" upon in the least. I've read posts comparing the current governemt with Nazi Germany and so forth. I've read posts that our constitutional rights are eroding. I want someone to tell me what constitutional rights have eroded. Tell me what you can't do anymore. There has been an explosion of gun ownership the last 10 years that is amazing. It is legal to carry a concealed weapon almost everywhere. Where have our rights eroded? Now you can take aim and call me all the names you want.

"Where have our rights eroded?"

Ask the good citizens of New York and Colorado. Perhaps they can speak to your question with first-hand experience.
    niks and darbo like this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    "Where have our rights eroded?"

Ask the good citizens of New York and Colorado. Perhaps they can speak to your question with first-hand experience.
    You'll have to do better than magazine capapcity. They still have their guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    I find the language in this letter disappointing. I have been a gun owner for almost fifty years. I am a member of the NRA. I have a ccp and I carry every day. So I'm sure someone out there is going to start calling me names after my post is read. At some point, this type of fear mongering has to stop. There are extremes on gun control on both sides of the issue. With the exception of Illinois, who I have to admit is its own special place. Concerning gun ownership, in all my years, I have not lost one freedom. With the exception of a waiting period for buying a handgun, I have not been "infringed" upon in the least. I've read posts comparing the current governemt with Nazi Germany and so forth. I've read posts that our constitutional rights are eroding. I want someone to tell me what constitutional rights have eroded. Tell me what you can't do anymore. There has been an explosion of gun ownership the last 10 years that is amazing. It is legal to carry a concealed weapon almost everywhere. Where have our rights eroded? Now you can take aim and call me all the names you want.
    In my own case, my gun rights end completely at the Maryland state line, where I am headed for tomorrow. There, I have absolutely no Second Amendment rights. None. Neither do you, unless you are LEOSA.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

The Illinois FOID is a direct infringement on my 2nd Amendment right.
    darbo likes this.

I find the language in this letter disappointing. At some point, this type of fear mongering has to stop. There are extremes on gun control on both sides of the issue.

Concerning gun ownership, in all my years, I have not lost one freedom.

Where have our rights eroded?

It's all being attacked in many states and at the federal/nationwide level, that's the point.

You're right, lawful concealed carry has come along to most states in the past 20yrs. And in most states, many things have gotten better in many ways, carry-wise. But it ain't for lack of trying, on the part of the liberty-haters. Even over that times, there have been ugly setbacks, including the 1994 AWB, the 2012/2013 rendition of the "new and improved," tougher AWB (without sunset clause), the outright shutdown of sale of semi-autos, criminalization of this or that feature, the actual passage of ugly stuff in NY, CT and CO, the push to grant the U.N. power to dictate terms of firearms ownership, etc.

Loss of rights? Perhaps you haven't yet experienced any. That's great. Nor have I, yet. But millions have, and recently. It's coming hard, as the letter points out, and if the anti-gunner liberty haters get their way it'll come to a neighborhood near each of us.

With respect to the shenanigans and back-room deals occurring in Illinois, the writer is correct. There are awful things being wangled in an attempt to strangle the rights of IL citizens yet again, despite the court order. Given how noose-tight many of the firearms-related "rights" are in some states, it's entirely likely the IL hacks will be able to push a hateful, hurtful variant of gun control in the place of "carry statutes" that'll be something entirely different than what the court or the IL citizens envisioned when the order came down. Hence the letter and timely warning, reminding folks that the haters are indeed still banging at the gates, sitting in those seats we've paid for them to sit in. Little different than in DC and many other states.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 29th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No name calling. But I will point out that I think you are wrong on almost every issue you mentioned. Gun bans have been enforced in the past and are being considered as we speak. The fact that some guns are banned and some are allowed doesn't make it less of an erosion of 2A rights; actually a blatant violation of 2A rights. Any government ( local, state or federal ) that attempts to prohibit its citizens from keeping or bearing arms does bear a resemblance to Nazi Germany ( and a lot of other places where arms prohibitions are enforced ). Such prohibitions lessen the capacity of the people to resist an over-reaching or tyrannical government ( although they can still duck hunt ). I don't think it is fear mongering to argue against such things; nor do I think it is extremism to resist them.

You have a right to your opinion and a right to state it in writing or aloud, and I will respect that. Go in peace brother.
    krisspy and 84160 like this.

I think the letter is GREAT. It highlights the incrementalism and the battle for the hearts and minds and the battle for control of the language. I think it is on all fours.

If not for the fact that the Damnorat Colorado Legislators and the Damnorat Governor just passed and signed several atrocious Bills that infringe on my rights, and Reid and Obama continue to push on Federal Legislation every time they can, and if I quit reading the newspaper and reading news, and I believed Cuomo and Bloomberg, I might believe it. <Wrong>

You can't compare the rise in gun ownership in the last 10 years and say we are safe. You can't say it is "Legal to carry a concealed weapon almost everywhere". Tell the folks in California, New Jersey, NY and NYC and many others that it is "Legal to carry a concealed weapon almost everywhere". You need to learn the FACTS.

Why did you use Magazine capacity as a right not infringed? The limitation limits my choices. Additionally, the Bill prohibits the transfer of said magazines after July 1, 2013, ergo I cannot give, bequeath, loan or sell said magazines. Is that not a limitation? Upon my death, has the State taken property from me by prohibiting any transfers? Yes, they have taken my rights. They have taken my property without compensation. HB 13-1224. What about the members of the military serving on any of the dozens of bases here? They are not exempt at all. So the extra equipment they acquired for missions is now illegal when they post here? What does that represent?

What about the Jim Crow style law that assesses a Fee to pay for the redundant CBI Background check? If you were poor, and needed a firearm to protect yourself, and the Fee stopped you, is that NOT infringed? The poor, the dispossessed, those most likely to be victims, must pay a Fee to acquire a gun? HB 13-1228.
    goldmaster, niks, krisspy and 1 others like this.

For us here in Colroado every one of these new laws is just one step forward for the anti-gunners.. Each time we lose something... mag limits this time, what next, what type of bullets we can carry... what guns, etc.

Just like the nose of the camel gets under the text, it will NOT stop there...
    accessbob likes this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Gerry
    Ft Collins

See my post above.

Infringement, limitation, erosion. It applies, whether the restriction/elimination is regarding a feature, a capability, a magazine/capacity, or the whole gun itself. The mere fact someone hasn't been stripped of a gun doesn't mean infringement/erosion/limitation hasn't occurred to that person's rights to be armed. Quite the opposite, actually, proven by the infringement.

Which is the whole point. The Second Amendment was clear: the right of the people ... shall not be infringed. This authority claimed by the courts and legislators that there is one whit of authority to infringe upon the right that the People reserved unto themselves doesn't exist, IMO. The only reason the power to do so exists is because they continually try to read meaning in between the words that isn't there. Infringement. Prohibition. Erosion. Confiscation. Criminalization. ALL OF IT is the same thing: negatively impacting the rights and effective abilities of citizens to keep and bear arms.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

1934,1968,1986,1994...How much more has to be given?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member
    If you were not allowed to use a computer for communication purposes, such as posting to a forum here, but you were allowed to keep your pens and pencils, would that also not be losing a right guaranteed in the First Amendment?

You lost rights when the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed. You lost rights when the Gun Control Act of 1968 was passed.

"They still have their guns" - But they are not allowed to carry or use them for their defense in many, many situations. In fact, they are allowed only with severe restrictions. That is infringement on their rights.

And, in Wisconsin, don't you have this possibly on the horizon?
    AB559 will ratchet up tyranny in this state to a whole new never-before-seen level. If this bill becomes law, your Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination is gone.
    So, isn't that an infringement on BOTH the 2nd and 5th Amendments?

Chip, chip, chip, chipping away slowly and it is like the frog who will jump out of the hot water but if placed in cool water and the heat slowly turned up will eventually boil and not try to escape until it is too late. Such are our freedoms. You give a little, and then a little, and then a little more, and soon you will find that none exist or at least not enough exists to resist the tyranny of government.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Links