Illinois inheritance / gifting of guns in the family

This is a discussion on Illinois inheritance / gifting of guns in the family within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all. I have some questions on how I can take ownership of my father's guns, since he just passed away. I am a resident ...

Thread: Illinois inheritance / gifting of guns in the family

Hello all.

I have some questions on how I can take ownership of my father's guns, since he just passed away. I am a resident of Illinois (not Chicago), and I do have a FOID and some other guns already. My father had a Ruger 22 rifle and a single-barrel shotgun. My step-mother (they were married) is currently in possession of them. She does not want them, but is afraid of the legal ramifications of giving them to me. So, my question are:

Could I take the guns as inheritance directly from my father, despite that they were not mentioned in the will?

If not, can she legally gift them to me? Can this be done without government involvement / registration / paperwork?

Thank you!

See: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/9-049.pdf

Both buyer and seller need a FOID ...if mom doesn't have one, she cannot transfer it to you. So pay the $10 have her get a FOID, transfer it to you; keep record of the transfer for 10 years. Keep it simple. I do not recommend going through an FFL. Not needed for personal property between family. Since there is no gun registration in IL, there are no legal ramifications.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thank you very much for that information.

She is not selling them to me though, I am inquiring if she can "gift" them to me, or if I can just claim gifted or inherited from my father?

Can she gift them to me without a FOID?

or better yet, can I just take them as inheritance from my father, despite that they were not mentioned in his will?

Sponsored Links