Do you fit the profile?

This is a discussion on Do you fit the profile? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In reading about what the Newtown killer had as far as ammo and firearms and how the media spun it to sound like he had ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Do you fit the profile?

Do you fit the profile?

In reading about what the Newtown killer had as far as ammo and firearms and how the media spun it to sound like he had too much of it which should have been a warning sign, I realized that I had more guns and ammo than he did and I am not crazy.

I always store 1000 rounds of all the calibers that I shoot in case of an ammo shortage like we now have and the old .380 shortage from a few years back. I started doing this when I was competing and could not find ammo for upcoming matches. I also collect firearms and knives and other legal weapons. Since I was a kid I played with toy guns and wanted to be a soldier. As soon as I turned 17 I enlisted to go to Vietnam and the Army accommodated me when I turned 18. I saw combat and came back a more experienced and wiser man. I also shot a firearm for the first time and discovered that I was good at it when I won my battalion championship against experienced shooters. Been collecting guns and knives every since.

So I am wondering how many of you would fit the profile that the media is painting of someone who is ready to go on a killing spree simply for stockpiling 1000 rounds and having more than one firearm? This is why the government wants to know how much ammo and guns we buy. They want to profile us. Heaven help them if they profile those who come from known terrorist countries but profiling Americans seems to be OK. Isn't that special?
    Last edited by Old_Dog; March 30th, 2013 at 01:48 AM.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

2. Remove Ads

Yep I like to have at least 1000 rounds for every gun I've got. Except for those dang .308 and .3030. the cheapest I can fine them at is like $22 for a box of 20. not exactly going to be able to stack that up too well. I aim for about 200 rounds for each of those.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I would fit the profile well. I was in the Marines, and own firearms and a bunch of ammo too. Old_Dog, thank you for serving in Viet Nam. I had an older brother who was KIA there in November of 1967, a place called Con Thien. I don't know if I got the spelling correct as I don't speak Vietnamese.

Anyways, I don't give a crap what the government thinks...the same government that sent you to fight in a horrible environment, then turned its back on you guys (and a few gals). I'm sure your not too worried about what the government thinks either. Take care and good OP.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

VIP Member
    By media “reporting” standards were they to open my safe and my reloading shed I would be accused of having enough to equip a third world country.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    By media “reporting” standards were they to open my safe and my reloading shed I would be accused of having enough to equip a third world country.
    Nothing wrong with that! I don't have that much, but dog gonned sure wish I did.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

The way they spin it, a small collection would be considered enough to arm several continents
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Guilty! A few years back I sold off most of my Military long guns. But I still have more than a few. With 6 boys to keep busy I have always bought what was cheap and stacked them deep. I bought M1 carbines when they were under $100 and SKSs when they were under $50. most recently I loaded up on Mosin's. My wife has always said If I ever get raided its going to look bad! DR
    darbo likes this.

They make it sound like the person they're reporting on is planning 1 murder per round, instead of having enough target shooting ammo to go to the range several times. I wonder if they stop at the gas station each time they leave the house and buy just enough gas for that trip ...

I must fit a profile because I am always hearing helicopters circling my property and My laptop tried to connect to Homeland Security Wireless network one day.

I am going to give an answer I heard on a different forum.
    I used to have a lot of guns and ammo but one day while out boating , I had all my guns and the boat sunk so now I don't have anything to protect my family but harsh language and a Dee Marini softball bat from my daughters college softball days.
    timtron likes this.

BTW, the term "Assault Weapon" is a media fiction. The word "assault" describes an action and not a type of anything. So if I attacked you with a hammer, it would be an assault hammer but the hammer at rest would simply be a hammer. It is the same with firearms. I often tell anti gunners to name just one nation that uses semi auto rifles to assault the enemy. Seems that most anti gun people do not even know how guns work and yet they are against them because they are told to be. Oh well.
    darbo and 40Bob like this.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

I fit the gun and ammo ownership profile to some degree, but not the video games, mass murderer scoresheet, I don't have any books on mental illnesses either.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Psssssssst, he took firearms and ammunition to the shooting however it was his mother that owned it............. I highly doubt she gave him permission......
    Tzadik likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    So I am wondering how many of you would fit the profile that the media is painting of someone who is ready to go on a killing spree simply for stockpiling 1000 rounds and having more than one firearm?
    Last I checked, "media" isn't in the profiling business. They hardly have the education or background for making such calls.

Of course, they're simply "painting" people with a broad brush, extending the anti-gunner hype to a fare-thee-well. Sure, a well-stocked psychotic who's intending to kill many people is going to need ammo and the guns to do it.

But that's like saying having a car that's fully gassed-up and stocked with a "go" bag of items means someone's preparing to go criminal and flee something.

Heck, for many, 1000rds is a starting point for a single gun, let alone a combination of guns. And it's hardly as though two or three guns constitutes an arsenal. Depends on whether someone's concerned about feeding a 1000rd/week shooting habit, or fears lack of availability of components/refills in future. Let alone having a couple of .22LR rifles, which could portend a "stash" of tens of thousands of rounds, just based on that. Holy frightening indicators, Batman!

IMO:

• Media should stick to what it's good at: creating birdcage liners delivered to our doorsteps; and
    • Criminal Psychiatrists should stick to what they're somewhat good at: crafting "profiles" that have some meaning and predictive ability.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I keep thousands of rounds for each caliber firearm I own. I won't even get into the reloading supplies.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I don't want to be on anyone's radar. I think I will try to find a retailer that will sell and ship one round at a time to me as needed. Just think of all the time I can save on those long range trips.

Now that I've gotten my sarcasm worked out, I have to admit I wouldn't look good after the fact either. But that's just it. The media is looking for "the answer" to how we can spot these crazies. They have pounced on the tools being used rather than the intentions of the perpetrator. Intentions are always harded to identify and thus are not good indicators for them. They want to make it simple for the rest of America to identify the dangerous folks by pointing out these glaringly obvious signs, i.e. owning guns and ammunition. Got to keep it simple for the "dumb masses".
    miller_man likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links