how'd you show them?

This is a discussion on how'd you show them? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; so we went to the county fair last weekend. had fun walking around and eating. neither the wife or i felt like riding anything. our ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By hek1620
  • 8 Post By Exacto
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: how'd you show them?

how'd you show them?

so we went to the county fair last weekend. had fun walking around and eating. neither the wife or i felt like riding anything. our 10 year old boy didn't either. he's not like most kids, very timid. but as sweet and innocent as can be. but to my amazement we did find something he enjoyed. we got to this booth that had paintball guns set up to shoot at some dude in full gear. he also had one of those clear shields(think riot gear) and barrels and stuff. i paid, roughly showed him what to use for aiming and within a few shots was nailing the guy. granted the guy wasn't moving much. you should've seen his(our kid) eyes. he had such a blast. later on we came up to the booth with the fully auto bb gun that you shoot the star out with. this time it had sights, so it was easier to explain the sight picture quickly. he took out the damned star first try!! and again, he had this happiness on his face and spring in his step that just made us so happy. especially me, because i'm thinking we finally have something we can have fun with together.

so since we hadn't decided what to do for him for making the honor roll, we thought, "why don't we get him a bb rifle?". and we did. a crossman i believe. when we got home from wally world, we opened the package and i showed him the rifle and the basics. i told him that i wanted him to learn all the parts of the gun(i call it a gun just like the other ones we have so he takes it seriously, which he does) and instructions before we go outside and start learning how to shoot it. that's as far as i've gotten. so after all this(sorry), here's the question: how'd you guys handle showing your kids the ropes? any suggestions on approach, reading material, steps to take in the teaching aspect, etc? i obviously don't have any formal training. just reading and using common sense has gotten me to this point as far as firearms and their handling is concerned. sorry for the long build up, thanks in advance.
    WHEC724, Tzadik, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Start with firearms safety and then proceed to firearms safety. Then when he has learned that, a thorough review of firearms safety. He will develope shooting skills along the way.
    Tzadik, atctimmy, WHEC724 and 5 others like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Congrats.

With my boy, I initially focused on the four rules of gun safety over anything else. With every mis-step, I'd softly correct him, knowing that he'd never progress past that BB gun until safety was second-nature to him. That strategy really paid off. Now, even when he's handling cap guns, he unconsciously abides by the 4 rules.

Shooting skills and knowledge will come. He'll sponge up whatever knowledge you have, and then you can both continue to learn together. At least that's what my son and I have done. What a Blessing!

mkh
    Congrats on a good family moment.

There are some good books out there but most are more self defense type but maybe you can pick and choose stuff from them. Also the Boy Scouts has some firearm safety stuff and they go shooting. I think the NRA has some young shooter programs.

Training is good but common sense goes along ways.

Try to find a local instructor who teaches NRA first steps courses.

Also, the books for the basic courses are actually pretty good, and are at about a fifth grade reading level. I am not sure if there is a way to just buy the book, but you might ask instructors in your area if they have any.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

As others have pointed out: start with safety, safety, safety. A quality foundation and grounding can't be stressed enough.

10yrs old is plenty old enough to understand safety, security concerns surrounding weaponry in general, keeping his opinions closely guarded in this ugly politically-motivated climate, keeping a lid on the family's gun-related items (except to "shooting" friends/family). But it's also old enough to be sufficiently impatient and daring to get himself or others harmed if he isn't well-grounded in the fundamentals.

You could go DIY, taking each session slowly, focusing on safety, going through simple and religious cleaning and maintenance, rock-solid safety and handling procedures, focusing on the basics of technique (handling, breathing, sight picture / aim). I'm sure he'd love to see (perhaps even compete in) a few different competitions, such as M1 long rifle, IPSC, etc. If he's the mechanical sort, he's also old enough to follow what's going on inside, so helping him to tear down the weapons and explain the features/functions of parts as you clean them can be a good element to the education.

He's a bit too old for the NRA Eddie the Eagle program, but all the basics are covered in there and adjusted for a child's perspective. Still worth reviewing, if only for your own knowledge on how to approach the training.

A decent NRA course is probably suitable for him.

If you're into reloading your own ammo, I'm sure he'd benefit, too, from understanding what makes a bullet go.

Enjoy! It ought to be a great time, particularly if he takes to it like a fish to water.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Start with firearms safety and then proceed to firearms safety. Then when he has learned that, a thorough review of firearms safety. He will develope shooting skills along the way.

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I started teaching the grand-brat gun safety at 6 with a rubber-band gun.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

thanks for the responses guys. i did leave some stuff out, i thought the original post was getting long enough. i have been stressing firearm safety, sa and pretty much everything i can think of to him every chance i get. so much so that i know he gets annoyed. but i'll be damned if my boys grows up like others i see. when ever i clean the guns i make sure he's there. to be honest it kinda bored him in the past. i'm hoping "having his own" will change that. but anyways, yes he knows the "don't touch, get out of there, and tell an adult RIGHT NOW!" by heart as i've been teaching him. mind you i've only shot a few guns in my life until last year when we found out we were preggers. i said to her we can go unarmed no longer. so i have no classes(don't consider ccw class a "handling" course) or proper instruction under my belt to pass on. just what i can gather from folks like you and good 'ole youtube.

In addition to the safety and technical aspect of teaching your progeny, here are a couple of considerations from the "human" side. Keep it light, and keep it FUN. Bear in mind that kids have attention spans way shorter than ours and there are lots of other things competing for their time and energies. If you see the attention wandering from the 'lesson' at hand, then it's time to call it a day. And if that happens earlier than you'd like, don't blame or punish the kid. Most of the time when I see kids at the range they're like Airedales on short leashes, all eager, but every one in a while there's a gruff dad who's acting like a drill instructor. Don't be that guy.

Keep a 'souvenir' from your shooting sessions - maybe a target, maybe a shot-up soda can (leave the shot-up fruit for the critters, though...). That can serve as a reminder of a fun time with junior, and can also shot a measure of progress. Take pictures!

Your last post indicated you're fairly new to shooting, yourself. Opportunity time! You can impress junior with how you're improving your skills, and maybe he'll take that as encouragement to improve his skills. Just don't turn it into a chore.

Good luck!
    hek1620 and Tzadik like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I agree with start with the 4 basic safety rules followed by modeling those 4 safety rules every chance we get. Take the curiosity out of firearms...make them as normal as any other tool in your shed or workshop. Keep your instruction short and sweet and yes, like gasmitty said, fun! Also see if their is a NRA sponsored First Shots course in your area. They are excellent way to take gun safety and instruction to the next level (they work with .22 pistols)....very fun and easy and informative! I took my son to my lgs store today with a buddy and his son...one of the sales people that was helping us was impressed when I quizzed my son on the 4 safety rules and he got them right. They when my son asked to see one of the blue/plastic/demo guns, he took it made sure to see it was "unloaded" and kept his finger along the slide the whole time. The guy behind the counter was like, "Wow...half of our adult customers don't even do that."

I also enjoy Hickock45's perspective: Child Gun Safety - YouTube

Have fun and be safe, teach safety and model safety.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

thanks for the insightful responses guys. very much appreciated.

Links