Going whole hog on two platforms

This is a discussion on Going whole hog on two platforms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After years of shooting and carrying just about every platform and style of handgun for both LE work and personal preference, I'm going all out ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By mkh

Thread: Going whole hog on two platforms

Going whole hog on two platforms

After years of shooting and carrying just about every platform and style of handgun for both LE work and personal preference, I'm going all out for two platforms I have determined are the best for my likes and uses.

The Colt 1911, and the SAA.

Put down money today on a Ruger Vaquero in 44 spl, and a Colt SAA in 45 Colt.
    I plan to add a Ruger BH in 41 mag for hunting later this year, but everything else is going to eventually go.

Why would I jump off the deep end like this? Have I lost my mind?

Well, its been coming for a long time. Of all the guns I have owned (and still do), nothing for me is as shootable, accurate, pleasing to me as these two platforms. Just got back from the range with the Colt CCG, and there is nothing that compares until I throw a SA revolver in the mix. With a SA revolver, I can draw and shoot as quick as with anything, and the bullets hit where they count. And not only that, doing a little relaxed shooting at distance, from 25-50 yards, its ridiculous how easy it is to hit a coffee can. But theres more.

Both of these platforms simply come in the most powerful chamberings. Whether its a 45 acp at 850fps, 44 spl at 1000, or a big ol 45 250 grn Colt bullet at 900 fps, they speak with authority and hit like the hammer of Thor. And thats before I add a little "spice" to them.
    Rugged as the day is long, reliable, easy to make hits with at speed or distance, powerful, and versatile, isnt that the pinnacle of what handguns should be able to do?

Yeah, I have totally lost it. The Blue steel and wood(or ivory, or stag) has totally taken control of my sensibilities.
    I know, the Glocks can hold more rounds, I know they are rust proof, dont need cleaning, and I am at the mercy of gangbangers , home invaders, and regular vermin without them. Common knowledge has it today that I am totally disadvantaged without 17 shots and a spare mag. From what I have read, I wont last 20 seconds away from home, in a mall, Walmart, or parking garage without superior firepower and plastic technology throwing mosquito wing sized bullets at warp speed.
    Oh, I guess I will keep a couple of those old useless underpowered S&W 38spls around.

So, I guess I will just have to be a better shot

Now, if I can find Bob Mernickles number and get him to fix me up with one of his great SA concealment rigs....
    Cory1022 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Totally lost it? Heck no... you're just refining your tastes!

I see some new avatars in your future...

(PS, if those wimpy .38s are a problem for you, we can arrange for them to spend their declining years in Smitty's Home for Wayward Shootin' Arns)
    Attached Images
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Or this...

th.jpg
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

mkh
    Nope. Didn't go,off the deep end at all.

I don't agree with your choices as they just wouldn't work out for me. But we each need to make that platform/caliber choice then practice with it till we are good with it.
    RickyD and Kilowatt3 like this.

Yup you've lost it. All hope in any chance of you recovering is gone. However so has any gun owner that has found what they really enjoy! (And there's just something nestelgeic about a single action revolver) :)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member
    You most definitely are not crazy!

Now, I would gladly take your spare guns off your hands:)

Very good choices, personally i hit what am aiming at with a revolver or a 1911 but as am quite a bit older than most i found my self limp wristing a couple of times at the range, i figure in a time of stress i wouldnt want to chance it. So sons got my semi,s an i concentrate on revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Nope. Didn't go,off the deep end at all.

I don't agree with your choices as they just wouldn't work out for me. But we each need to make that platform/caliber choice then practice with it till we are good with it.
    I agree with this post. Freedom of choice is what makes this a great country for now. Different stroke for different folks. Diversity is what makes a gun collection neat gotta have different flavors. Enjoy your new firearms.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with the gun that tamed the west, or the one that helped win 2 World Wars and a bunch of skirmishes along the way. I say go for it and enjoy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links