Cost of .22 lr...an ammo shortage I would not have believed

This is a discussion on Cost of .22 lr...an ammo shortage I would not have believed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Back when I stocked up on .22 lr (about a year ago) I did it because it jumped from $18 something to $22.50. I bought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cost of .22 lr...an ammo shortage I would not have believed

Back when I stocked up on .22 lr (about a year ago) I did it because it jumped from $18 something to $22.50.

I bought so many that now when the media reports how many rounds of ammo some BG had, I always top it x5. I topped it before, but now I wonder if they are counting .22 lr and target shotgun.

Anyways, the point of this post is the price. I have not paid attention, and if you would have told me the price was $25, I would not have been shocked.

Found out today that the going rate in my area for 500 to 550 rounds of .22 lr is $60 to $75 at a gun show. I checked the local shelves and shops. No .22 lr to be found.

$60 + price. Shocked.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I wish I had stocked up on more than I did.

LOL ... they reported in one 'raid' (that is being questioned if it was a legal and justified raid... as it was shown as rather stupid) , but they reported he had 1600 rds of ammo. Now, funny part, it was .22 ammo. So, 3 boxes of 550 round boxes, and you are there.... a gun nut with a HUGE cache of ammunition.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Price gougers. And when they raid someones place they wont say anything about caliber or anything like that it was they had x amount of ammunition.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    .22 has been out of stock for months around here.
    oneshot likes this.

I have a PMR30. I found some reasonably priced ammo a year ago on line and purchased it. About a month ago, I was shooting same and the gun malfunctioned twice on two separate days. When I called the manufacturer of the gun about it, they advised me the shooting Armscorp ammunition was NOT recommended in said firearm. Off to the LGS went I, only to find a total of SIX (yes 6) boxes of .22mag there. Four of Remington ($18.50 each) and two of Winchester ($24 each). I bought two of the Remington, and have not had a problem after firing both boxes.

But DANG those price gougers!!!

This past summer Cabela's had a sale on .22lr ammo with Federal bulk packs (4 - 2200 rounds) in weather proof ammo box for $75...I bought 6 of them. If I didn't have so much fun shooting my S&W MP15-22 I would sell it. When all this craziness dies down this ammo will again be reasonable priced.

VIP Member
    I wish I would have been so wise.

1.5 years ago I bought a 550 box of Federal .22lr

Should have bought three or four.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I bought 2 555 boxes about a year ago, wish I had bought more when they were available. When .22 becomes available again, will need to stock up on it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

People like to complain about the price gougers. Not sure they are to blame for anything outside of making a buck. I would almost suggest that those creating the problem are those hoarding huge supplies. If someone is shooting - understand the need of getting large quantities. However, I know guys who have huge supplies and are not shooting anything - they just keep buying and storing.
    NRA Life Member

If you died today are you prepared for where you will end up tomorrow?

Thank you to all of those who have served this country - you have my respect!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kc_hhsl View Post
    People like to complain about the price gougers. Not sure they are to blame for anything outside of making a buck. I would almost suggest that those creating the problem are those hoarding huge supplies. If someone is shooting - understand the need of getting large quantities. However, I know guys who have huge supplies and are not shooting anything - they just keep buying and storing.
    Exactly!! Those are the douchebags that are making this worse. I can walk into any gunstore in town and buy an AR at reasonable prices. Pistols of all kinds as well. AMMMO? Nothing, and all day long folks are in and out of LGS searching for ammo to buy, or guys buying just to have, they don't even own a gun to shoot it with. I was at a LGS yesterday and a guy walked in and tried to buy all of the .30-.06 in stock about 50 boxes or so. As the clerk was boxing up his ammo, I casually asked the guy what rifle he had, as I was looking at buying a .30-.06. He said he didn't own a .30-.06 rifle. He was buying this to have "just in case" "in case of what"? I asked. He didn't know, just thought it was a good idea to buy it. The clerk refused his purchase.... Now, if there's one idiot thinking like that, there's a million of them.... If we could get them to stay home, I'd bet we could find ammo a lot sooner(and cheaper)....

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    What really hacks me off is people buying (actually hording) .22 ammo and don't even own anything that uses .22. I don't own anything in .22 except for an old training rifle which I never shoot. People doing this, in my opinion, are just making difficult for their fellow shooters. If you don't need it why buy it?
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

it is the greedy generation....you tell someone they can't have something, they'll go do it, or buy it anyway. That is what is happening here, due to obama.

I've ran into several people that just stocked up on like 3-4 AR15's to "just have them". Same for ammo, they don't even own a gun in that caliber yet they are stocking up on it "just in case".

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    ...Are you guys sure that production just hasn't come to a screeching halt due to the demand for more expensive calibers? As for stocking up on guns "just to have them" - whats wrong with that? Don't blame the buyers because they want to buy stuff. Why do you deserve it any more than them?
    gallardo.g23 and niks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    What really hacks me off is people buying (actually hording) .22 ammo and don't even own anything that uses .22. I don't own anything in .22 except for an old training rifle which I never shoot. People doing this, in my opinion, are just making difficult for their fellow shooters. If you don't need it why buy it?
    I just bought 500 .22LR online. I don't own a .22 yet... operative word being yet. I saw no point in buying a firearm I couldn't shoot so I wasn't going to buy one until I had ammo at a decent price. Now that I have the ammo arriving tomorrow, I can buy a firearm at my leisure, just having to decide which platform I want.

Did I need it now? No. Was there a reason for me buying it? Yup, and not to just turn around and sell it for a profit.
    gallardo.g23 and niks like this.

I just got home with three bricks, 1500 rounds, of Remington hp from a gentleman in Eugene Oregon.
    I did not like the $90.00 price, but that was a lot easier than telling people that I like to shoot with that I have no ammo.
    So, Thanks to Dave in Eugene, Oregon. There are some nice and reasonable people out there after all!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links