Scratched my AR pretty bad.

This is a discussion on Scratched my AR pretty bad. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been slowly working on an AR build and the lower parts finally came in yesterday. Last night I was putting it together a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Scratched my AR pretty bad.

I have been slowly working on an AR build and the lower parts finally came in yesterday. Last night I was putting it together a roll pin was giving me a hard time. Prior to working I taped up the receiver in painters tape, but it didn't prevent the pretty bad scratch. I had the receiver in the vice, was starting to tap it in. Before I go any further, I have to tell you that above my workbench is a shelf with books, (reloading manuals, reference books etc). My wife came in and was trying to place something on the shelf at the other end (away from me) and somehow she knocked the shelf enough that a large hardback old college textbook fell and hit my head and then landed on my arm. (I used the book for a support things, not for reading!)

I didn't realize anything had happened until after I picked up the book, accepted the apology from my wife and took a moment to step away. When I got back, I found a rip in the painters tape and a pretty significant scratch in the receiver. The punch had painters tap all over the point, so I know what happened. Now I have a heart wrenching scratch on it. Makes me sick.

What are the best options for fixing it? Black sharpie pen just doesn't fix it like I want. I was going to run by the gun store today, but being Easter it is closed.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

It is ruined. I'll give you $30 to take it off your hands.

Try Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. You could even take the opportunity to have the parts Cerakoted to the color of your choice.
    heatherr855 and bigmacque like this.

How deep is the scratch?

I assume it was the bolt catch roll pin?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You got it, the bolt catch pin. The scratch is deep enough that feel it with my finger, very slight "sharp" edge on the scratch and it went all the way through the finish. I have already fixed that part, just need to fix the finish.

I was thinking about getting our family crest done on the side...

VIP Member
    Above, try some black.

I've stopped fretting over scratches in my weapons. Especially if I'm doing work on them. I get what I pay for, I says.

Seriously, all my guns are shooters.... and with shooting comes wear.

I know it is disappointing, but don't let it take away from the enjoyment of your rifle. Fix it as best you can and move on!
    PAPADALE1 and Fisher10 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Above, try some black.

I've stopped fretting over scratches in my weapons. Especially if I'm doing work on them. I get what I pay for, I says.

Seriously, all my guns are shooters.... and with shooting comes wear.

I know it is disappointing, but don't let it take away from the enjoyment of your rifle. Fix it as best you can and move on!
    That is my plan, I haven't shed any tears over it, but would like to keep things nice. I try to protect exposed metal as much as possible, even gone so far on one gun of putting a layer of car wax to keep the trouble spot on an old gun from rusting even after I oiled it. That worked great. I like using my tools, similar to how much I like driving my cars. I try to touch up bad scratches and stuff on my car, so I try to do the same with my guns.

It is like buying a car, and scratching it 30 seconds after you sign the paperwork. Car still drives, it just isn't pristine before it even gets shot the first time (from personal experience) Oh well, touch up and move on.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Consider it broken in and move on. Now you don't have to worry about that first scratch.
    pittypat21, Taurahe and Fisher10 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I have no clue how to fix it but I do feel your pain!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

When my daughter gets scratched, I give her a band-aid. Maybe that'll help?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    It is ruined. I'll give you $30 to take it off your hands.

I agree, it's ruined. I'd take tubadude's offer, it's probably the best thing for both of you.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Can you possibly put up some photos for a good look. This sounds like it may be an excuse for some duracoat, gunkote or whatever coat they have these days

Distinguished Member
    Back in my day, scratches were called character and a good thing. :) Times change and now we have many gun owners treating guns like man toys (many call them toys online which only provides fodder for the anti gun people who view this as proof that we do not need guns but just want man toys) rather than weapons to be used for deadly purposes. I do not own a rifle because I figure it will be easy to take away one of those fancy rifles I see on YouTube all the time that are owned by guys who rather spend their money to look cool than to be well trained. :)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

There are no safe queens in my house. All my guns are shooteres for hunting, defense, etc.. They all show some level of scracthes due to thier purposse. Chalk it up to fate and continue. Eventually you will get more scratches the more you use it.
    84160 likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    nothing worse than an angry ar. It may develope anger management issues.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Little scratch story:

Took a guy hunting in the Snake River Canyons in WA. If you've never been there, picture steeeeep canyons, loose turf, lots of rocks and a ton of climbing. I had my Win 1200 which had been refinished several times over the years and still looked well used. He brought along a nice Weatherby . . . I asked if he was sure if he wanted to bring a nice gun like that to teh SRC, and he said sure.

After a half-day of slipping and sliding while using the Weatherby as a drag anchor, his expensive "shooting piece" finally looked like a decent hunting gun. Next time he went, he brought a throw-away shotgtun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links