red dots, sighting in at 50 or 100 yds

This is a discussion on red dots, sighting in at 50 or 100 yds within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; wondering what is what most set up for? say for 5.56 I think I read that if you sight in for 100 yds, you are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red dots, sighting in at 50 or 100 yds

wondering what is what most set up for? say for 5.56

I think I read that if you sight in for 100 yds, you are off less at 50 than vice versa, however I can't find that ballistic table that showed me this (this was I think for 5.56 55g).

Anyway, curious as to what others have done.

Also, noticed that red dot, with no mag, 2moa , bullseye is very small at 100 yds to begin with...

My h-1 is sighted for 100yds.

I'm not shooting match competitions I'm killing feral hogs, one inch either direction really isn't going to hurt me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Most scopes I know of or have used, were zeroed in a 100 yrds. .... easy to judge how much to lower or raise point of aim based upon 100 yrds. Most scopes are set up for a 100 yrd zero.

Zeroing in a 50 yrds.... again hits zero @ about 200 yrds. So, you have to predict the arch.... but everything between 50 & 200 should be within 1.5 inches, and after 200 ... start adjusting upward from there.

There are different schools of thought and always a lot of debate about the pro's and con's, but for me ... it's 100 yrd zeroing. One of my best friends zeros @ 50. He doesn't shoot anything really beyond 200 yrds, so that works good for him. I do shoot past 200 yrds, so that works better for what type of shooting I do and want to be able to do.

Take your pick based upon the shooting you plan to do, and the red-dot you are using.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

According to this video it appears that zeroing at 25 yards is not most optimal.... It does seem that zeroing at 50-100-200 are close to the same...... You decide..
    AR15 Zero: Introduction - YouTube
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I use a 50 yard zero for my EOTech and don't have a problem hitting targets in the 50 - 200 yard range.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Used mine at 100 on my norinco

My Aimpoint M2 is zeroed at 100 yds
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Most scopes I know of or have used, were zeroed in a 100 yrds. .... easy to judge how much to lower or raise point of aim based upon 100 yrds. Most scopes are set up for a 100 yrd zero.

Zeroing in a 50 yrds.... again hits zero @ about 200 yrds. So, you have to predict the arch.... but everything between 50 & 200 should be within 1.5 inches, and after 200 ... start adjusting upward from there.

There are different schools of thought and always a lot of debate about the pro's and con's, but for me ... it's 100 yrd zeroing. One of my best friends zeros @ 50. He doesn't shoot anything really beyond 200 yrds, so that works good for him. I do shoot past 200 yrds, so that works better for what type of shooting I do and want to be able to do.

Take your pick based upon the shooting you plan to do, and the red-dot you are using.
    Thanks for the chart. Excellent. Didn't realize zero at 50 had another zero crossing at about 200. The zero at 100 is better for 50-150 for tightness, +/- 0.7", falls off quickly after that. The 50 zero is good from about 20 - 225 for +/- 1.5". For red dot with 2moa, which is 2" at 100 yds, this error is worse than the bullet path...

I use this calculator - Handloads.Com Ballistic Calculator - it let's me work out zeros, trajectory, drop, etc. I zero my SIG556 patrol rifle (Millett Zoom Dot) at 25yds and that puts me about 1.4" high @ 100yds, dead on at 175, and 5" low at 250. So, I can use a dead on hold from contact out to 250 and not worry about compensating for trajectory.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I use this calculator - Handloads.Com Ballistic Calculator - it let's me work out zeros, trajectory, drop, etc. I zero my SIG556 patrol rifle (Millett Zoom Dot) at 25yds and that puts me about 1.4" high @ 100yds, dead on at 175, and 5" low at 250. So, I can use a dead on hold from contact out to 250 and not worry about compensating for trajectory.
    I think you meant to say zero in at 50 yds. That will give you the numbers you have. 25 yds will give much different numbers with a standard 55g 5.56

I have my rifle set up at 50 yds with M855.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    I think you meant to say zero in at 50 yds. That will give you the numbers you have. 25 yds will give much different numbers with a standard 55g 5.56
    No, I meant 25yds. My dot height is about 1", the example in the chart pictured in post #3 has a cross hair height of 11.2", that's why the 25yd zero trajectory pictured is so out of whack.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    No, I meant 25yds. My dot height is about 1", the example in the chart pictured in post #3 has a cross hair height of 11.2", that's why the 25yd zero trajectory pictured is so out of whack.

Hmmm. Interesting.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting.
    Same. However, I am understanding this to be 11" above the barrel? I am kind of wondering why a cross hair would be at 11"?

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Same. However, I am understanding this to be 11" above the barrel? I am kind of wondering why a cross hair would be at 11"?
    I imagine that sight height needs to be entered for Eagleks's software to calculate the trajectory, it does in the calculator I posted a link to. Perhaps he inadvertantly put in an extra "1" when entering the numbers. A 1.2" crosshair height would be much more reasonable and would give a trajectory very similar to the numbers I posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links