70's Charter Arms .38 special off-duty value?

This is a discussion on 70's Charter Arms .38 special off-duty value? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guy offered me an older .38 snub for my Walther P22 and I didn't really feel like taking the hit in price difference so I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: 70's Charter Arms .38 special off-duty value?

Guy offered me an older .38 snub for my Walther P22 and I didn't really feel like taking the hit in price difference so I asked how much just to buy it.
    His response? $350 plus a higgins holster and 100 rds. IDK much about the value but I thought it was a little steep considering half the reviews I've read hate it and the other half says its awesome.

The only reason I'd really consider buying it is for personal defense and its concealability.

Here's what it looks like
    IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0269.jpg

Walk away... quickly.

The Charter Arms guns of that vintage had highly variable quality. Two guns off the line the same day, one could be a jewel and the other a bad paperweight. For $250 tops I might be interested, but at $350 you're within striking range of a slightly used or even a new genuine S&W J-frame.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks man, just needed another person's opinion.

I have one. Charter Arms .38 Undercover. I've had it since new in the late 70's. Fired a couple thousand rounds over the years. I carried it for years as a backup, through 3 central american revolutions and one major riot (LA 93). I shot it just a few weeks ago for my CCW qualification.

Great gun. I added Pachmeyer grips. The cylinder release sometimes needs a small adjustment after shooting a lot of rounds but otherwise never had a problem.

I'd pay maybe $150 tops! Wholesale is probably like $50-$75.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    ...$350 plus a higgins holster and 100 rds. IDK much about the value but I thought it was a little steep considering half the reviews I've read hate it and the other half says its awesome...
    I have a stainless Undercover of about the same vintage. GREAT low-end gun, for what I paid for it. IIRC, it was about $150 new. I still have it, and carry it on the farm regularly as a snake gun.

I would buy the one you posted about in a heartbeat - for about $200. Maybe $250 if it were stainless, but it's not. $350 is way out there, although in today's market the 100 rounds of ammo is worth $40 or so if it's decent stuff. Maybe $100 if it's premium SD ammo. I have no idea what the holster's worth.

FWIW
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    Guy offered me an older .38 snub for my Walther P22 and I didn't really feel like taking the hit in price difference so I asked how much just to buy it.
    His response? $350 plus a higgins holster and 100 rds. IDK much about the value but I thought it was a little steep considering half the reviews I've read hate it and the other half says its awesome.

The only reason I'd really consider buying it is for personal defense and its concealability.

Here's what it looks like
    IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0269.jpg
    RUN AWAY from that "deal" OUCH !!! It sounds like you're being stuck between the shoulder blades. A realistic "Deal" would be 185.00 and all the accessories he has. You could get a new smith 642 for that money. (380.00)
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Links