Pregnant Mom Arrested in NY for Unloaded Gun in Checked Baggage

This is a discussion on Pregnant Mom Arrested in NY for Unloaded Gun in Checked Baggage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Apparently, in NY your gun is considered loaded even when it is not loaded... "...in New York the firearm is considered loaded if the passenger ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Pregnant Mom Arrested in NY for Unloaded Gun in Checked Baggage

VIP Member

Apparently, in NY your gun is considered loaded even when it is not loaded...

"...in New York the firearm is considered loaded if the passenger is in possession of both a gun and ammunition..."

PREGNANT MOM ARRESTED IN NEW YORK FOR UNLOADED HANDGUN IN CHECKED BAGGAGE
    Apr. 2, 2013 8:12am Liz Klimas

A Minnesota mom six months pregnant getting ready to head home from a trip to New York with her 6-year-old daughter was arrested last week for an unloaded handgun she had in the luggage she was attempting to check...

Pregnant Mom Arrested in New York for Unloaded Handgun in Checked Baggage | TheBlaze.com

If we take this story a step further...

Isn't it odd that someone could actually legally check their firearm with the airline in one state but the moment the plane lands in NY, the person is committing a felony?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    It is ungodly how much this article angers me. I'm tired of people who are trying to do things right (and even are, by almost any other state's standards) getting caught up in NY's legal system because of their ridiculous fear of an inanimate object.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Chalk up another "win" for the nanny state. I'm sure Bloomberg is proud they caught a "criminal."

As much as this article angers me I can't help but think that ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. Knowing the current climate in New York I wouldn’t have even thought about bringing a gun there with me.
    Last edited by Harvester; April 2nd, 2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Because I can!!
    Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    As much as this article angers me I can't help but think that ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. Knowing the current climate in New York I wouldn’t have even thought about bringing a gun there with me.
    I guarantee you that you break a law that is on the books daily and without knowing it. If you wished to read through them all, it would probably take you upwards of a few years.

How many laws are you breaking?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Moral of the story: pull your head out; be aware of the stupidities around us; don't fall into obvious traps; avoid open sewers (liberty-wise); keep contacting your hired staff (aka temporary legislators).
    WHEC724, msgt/ret and Ghost1958 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Moral of the story: pull your head out; be aware of the stupidities around us; don't fall into obvious traps; avoid open sewers (liberty-wise); keep contacting your hired staff (aka temporary legislators).
    Yup. Personally, I'll never set foot in that state until it is free again. But if you have to travel through there, as well as any other state that is fashioning itself after North Korea, you need to be aware that you forego your personal liberties when you go there and therefore need to plan accordingly.

VIP Member
    I was unable to read the story from the link-- it just lead to some registration page.

I wonder if the actual reason she was arrested wasn't because she had an unloaded
    handgun, but because she had been carrying illegally in NYC.

These incidents happen all the time there, and Congress could fix the problem if it wanted to.
    Instead we get bluster from The House and little action. And when they do act as they did
    with reciprocity last year, it died in The Senate. Why, I don't begin to understand. I'm fairly sure
    that there would have been 51 votes for it if it had gotten to a vote.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I was unable to read the story from the link-- it just lead to some registration page.

I wonder if the actual reason she was arrested wasn't because she had an unloaded
    handgun, but because she had been carrying illegally in NYC.

These incidents happen all the time there, and Congress could fix the problem if it wanted to.
    Instead we get bluster from The House and little action. And when they do act as they did
    with reciprocity last year, it died in The Senate. Why, I don't begin to understand. I'm fairly sure
    that there would have been 51 votes for it if it had gotten to a vote.
    At the time she was arrested, she was not "carrying", she was transporting a firearm in a locked case.

Go to the theblaze.com to read the story.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    At the time she was arrested, she was not "carrying", she was transporting a firearm in a locked case.

Go to the theblaze.com to read the story.
    It may have been in her checked luggage at the time,but while in NY she had an unregistered gun,why would you take a gun to NYC knowing full well you can't carry it,unless you somehow thought you could.Too many people have their heads up their rectums and seem to think their carry permit is good anywhere in the US
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I guarantee you that you break a law that is on the books daily and without knowing it. If you wished to read through them all, it would probably take you upwards of a few years.

How many laws are you breaking?
    Unfortunately, I do agree that ignorance of the law isn't an excuse to break it and it's not like NYs firearms laws are either obscure, not well known or hard to find information on. The bottom line is if you are going to carry or transport any firearm, the onus is on you to fully understand the laws that you will be subjected to in every jurisdiction that you will be entering.

Obviously I agree that it's a shame that the states are allowed to create and impose draconian firearms laws, but unless the Federal Government steps in and starts actually supporting the Second Amendment as it is written, then everybody is going to have to understand that it's up to the individual to insure that they are following the local laws concerning firearms.
    Hopyard likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Well, I can think of about 1,000 things I'd do before I'd try to bring a gun into NYC..
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Unfortunately, I do agree that ignorance of the law isn't an excuse to break it and it's not like NYs firearms laws are either obscure, not well known or hard to find information on. The bottom line is if you are going to carry or transport any firearm, the onus is on you to fully understand the laws that you will be subjected to in every jurisdiction that you will be entering.

Obviously I agree that it's a shame that the states are allowed to create and impose draconian firearms laws, but unless the Federal Government steps in and starts actually supporting the Second Amendment as it is written, then everybody is going to have to understand that it's up to the individual to insure that they are following the local laws concerning firearms.
    I'm not one for zero tolerance policies. Ignorance is one thing I despise, and willful ignorance is even worse. That said, when it comes to something like this, I think it is pretty clear that she had no criminal intent, and should not be charged as one.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I didn't see in the story where she was staying. If her gun was legal wherever she was staying overnight, would she be legal under the federal transportation laws?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I'm not one for zero tolerance policies. Ignorance is one thing I despise, and willful ignorance is even worse. That said, when it comes to something like this, I think it is pretty clear that she had no criminal intent, and should not be charged as one.
    "Zero tolerance" is more about mandated punishment for an act. She hasn't been punished yet, so it's too early to say that the state won't grow a brain and let her go, or allow her to plead down to some trivial offense. That said, she did commit a criminal offense and a phone call or two before she took a flight to a city that has very strict gun laws inside a state that has very strict gun laws, would have probably netted her enough information to give her the basic knowledge she needed to not break the law.

I do agree that the situation sucks and it's one of the reason why I cannot stand the liberal stronghold cities and states. It's also the main reason I don't go to those places though...
    DontTreadOnI, msgt/ret and ccw9mm like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links