Forgive, but never forget.

This is a discussion on Forgive, but never forget. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just thinking to myself after going to a few of the local gun stores that I frequented even before the craziness, "I'm never ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Forgive, but never forget.

Forgive, but never forget.

I was just thinking to myself after going to a few of the local gun stores that I frequented even before the craziness, "I'm never gonna buy from these guys again."

In January, I bought a 1,000 rd case of Match Grade RWS 9mm Luger for $299, now they have Remington UMC 500 rd cases for $550! Thats almost a 400% increase in price! These same people sit behind the counter and say crap like "I feel ya man" or "It's just the way things are" while inside my head I'm thinking of a few choice names and words for whats really going on. I talked to a guy who owns a store down the road, he said he went from around $50,000 a month to $178,000.

I guess in the long run, that guy who you thought was your friend in the local gun store is taking your money with a big smile on his face.

How do you feel about that?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    I was just thinking to myself after going to a few of the local gun stores that I frequented even before the craziness, "I'm never gonna buy from these guys again."

In January, I bought a 1,000 rd case of Match Grade RWS 9mm Luger for $299, now they have Remington UMC 500 rd cases for $550! Thats almost a 400% increase in price! These same people sit behind the counter and say crap like "I feel ya man" or "It's just the way things are" while inside my head I'm thinking of a few choice names and words for whats really going on. I talked to a guy who owns a store down the road, he said he went from around $50,000 a month to $178,000.

I guess in the long run, that guy who you thought was your friend in the local gun store is taking your money with a big smile on his face.

How much does he have to pay for the ammo now, versus what he paid for it in Jan? While his sales may have gone up that much, how much has his profit margin increased? Without knowing the answer to those 2 questions, it's hard to say if he's gouging you or not. I can almost guarantee you he's not paying the same price for guns and ammo now that he was back then.
    ccw9mm, msgt/ret, RichB70 and 6 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

That was quoted as profit. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Capitalism is based on the law of supply and demand. Prices are set by a market that has clearly panicked. You cannot blame the businesses out there that are profiting - would you really walk away from the profit if you were in their shoes? As small businesses many of our LGS's may not see another opportunity to make money like this again for a long time - maybe never for many if them if our tyrannical elected officials have their way.

Besides, you don't have to buy. You may want to, but you don't have to. Prices will not normalize until enough people stop buying.

I was at my favorite LGS about an hour ago. They got a UPS shipment of .22LR in from a major distributer while I was there. The owner showed me the invoice for $30.95 wholesale per brick. They were paying 14.95 a couple months ago.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Free capitalist market.......and it's only business.......not personal.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I was at my favorite LGS about an hour ago. They got a UPS shipment of .22LR in from a major distributer while I was there. The owner showed me the invoice for $30.95 wholesale per brick. They were paying 14.95 a couple months ago.
    Thats better than alamo ammos prices of $275.95 a brick. Thats just obsurd.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Same store had a 1575 rd box of Fiocci .22lr for $300, which is about a nickel a round.

Maybe I'm just ranting and raving and I might look back at this and say "I was being a jerk that day" but as of right now I'm really frustrated

I went to look for something for my rifle today.I went in a hardware store that sells firearms,223's, 20 was 21.00.I went to a gun store,just across town.They were selling a box of pmc(556) for 10.98.Yep,some are price gouging,smh.

This is called "back door gun control". The anti crowd is smiling happily behind their screaming of "it is for the children".
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I think you need to figure some things out pilgrim.
    PEF and wmhawth like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post

Huh? Did I pay too much then?

- THAT GUY
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think you need to figure some things out pilgrim.
    I like your signature, makes me think a little more critical of myself as I re-read what I wrote. I'd like to think I'm pretty aware of business practices and what's fair and not, but for all I know, I might have only begun to scratch the surface.

Has there ever been a time where ammunition prices and availability were this ridiculous? If we have something to compare and contrast we can better understand patterns of business and consumer practices.

I like your signature, makes me think a little more critical of myself as I re-read what I wrote. I'd like to think I'm pretty aware of business practices and what's fair and not, but for all I know, I might have only begun to scratch the surface.

Has there ever been a time where ammunition prices and availability were this ridiculous? If we have something to compare and contrast we can better understand patterns of business and consumer practices.
    Things got squirrelly in 96 after the AWB, and after Obama was elected. But this is the worse I have seen. Gun people are a different breed, and it doesnt take much for them to make chicken-little look like a prophet.

Just save your money and let the others spend themselves into bankruptcy.
    commonground and wmhawth like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    People in business are your friend when you patronize their business. They are in business to make money, not friends.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links