Sociology Project

This is a discussion on Sociology Project within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking at doing a sociology project on concealed carry and whether or not it actually makes crime rates decrease. I know that it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Sociology Project

Sociology Project

I am looking at doing a sociology project on concealed carry and whether or not it actually makes crime rates decrease. I know that it does, I just dont have any sources. Do you know any good and reliable sources of data and statistics on this subject?

Apparently, I am also the first and only student this instructor has had that has even brushed this topic because it is so controversial. He has no issues with it as long as I have good data on this subject. This is a topic that is near and dear to me, so if you can help me scrounge us some good sources, I would be forever grateful.

2. Remove Ads

Find a different topic if you want a good grade on your project.
    BugDude and lowercase like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    I suggest you peruse John Lott’s website and refer to his book “More Guns Less Crime”.

John Lott's Website
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

You've chosen a challenging project; if it was your teacher's suggestion, he either thinks you're up to the task, or else he's sandbagging you.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that a large number of defensive uses of concealed handguns go unreported. On top of that, if, for example, and assault is deterred by the presence of a handgun but the assailant disappears, there is no arrest, no prosecution, so probably nothing shows up in recorded statistics such as the FBI UCR.

The suggestion to research John Lott's work is a good one. He's fundamentally an economist, and started with an unbiased look at crime rates, which revealed that guns in the hands of "good guys" reduced crime.

Good luck!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Be very careful with this topic and the general topic of guns. I did a research paper on this and got a C on it. I had good sources but my teacher didn't like it nor did he disapprove of the topic proposal;me and him didn't quite hit it off very well either. More guns less crime is a great place to start. I got a book from the college library called guns that may also lead you in a good direction. (I think. It's been over a year.)

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Just dont fall into the trap that where there are less guns there is less gun crime. There likely is but that does not equate to less guns less violent crime or murders etc. Less guns equals more crime its just the same crimes carried out with some other weapon or no weapon but a lot more often than if the citizens are armed and the BGS know they can legally be.
    BugDude likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

The data that you would need to do the project well doesn't really exist.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post
    I am looking at doing a sociology project on concealed carry and whether or not it actually makes crime rates decrease. I know that it does, I just dont have any sources. Do you know any good and reliable sources of data and statistics on this subject?
    I guess someone has to say it... I think it's a bad idea to go into a research project with what seems to be a preconceived bias on your part.

And with a subject like this you are going to need a whole bunch of data, and with the controversy over the subject I think that in reality good unbiased is going to be hard to come by. Good luck with the project.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Given the general attitude of educators in the United States concerning guns on campuses, I wouldn't touch this subject. When your audience already has a bias and is going to grade your argument, you're fighting with one hand tied behind you.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The data that you would need to do the project well doesn't really exist.
    Yup.

Lott, Kleck and others have spent much of their adult careers looking at such things. There aren't absolute, definitive, causal answers yet, despite the depth and diligence of their research.

It's all well and good to report on what they've done, but I'm assuming such a project would benefit most by actual research into the question.

Given the knee-jerk, hateful climate surrounding firearms these days, I'd be very cautious about such a topic. It's not out of the realm of possibility that you'll be tagged as a threat for such a thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post

Apparently, I am also the first and only student this instructor has had that has even brushed this topic because it is so controversial. He has no issues with it as long as I have good data on this subject. This is a topic that is near and dear to me, so if you can help me scrounge us some good sources, I would be forever grateful.
    Immediately, go buy John Lott's book: More Guns, Less Crime

That will provide an excellent base from which you can expand upon.

I have done several papers about if gun laws lower crime or not. I know they are different subjects but maybe the sources I use could help you. P.M. me if you would like to have a look at them.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

This project is a sociological study as opposed to a debate or public awareness project. We state a research question such as "do concealed carry holders stop crime?" We the go and present main points to this effect, such as sociodemographics, economic impact, etc,. citing a current news article, some sort of reliable study and some other sort of source material. We basically expand on research someone else has done. Beings that this is a social science, opinion is fine so long as it has a good statistical foundation to back it.

I can choose any question I want, so long as I have at least 3 sources of data that are reliable. I can choose women and firearms with correlation to victimization rates, or the socioeconomic impact of gun ownership in the US. Or even "are gun free zones truly safe places?" It's all about the data.

My instructor is not sandbagging me on this. He doesn't want me to fail. He knows that I know that this is a challenging topic. I am up for that challenge. Being that I live I Florida (of course) guns are not a big deal, but it is still a hot topic.
    Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Try comparing crime statistics in the states with the lowest % of conceal carry versus the highest. (Arizone, Vermont and Alaska might be difficult due to constitutional carry.)

Also try comparing crime statistics of shall issue states versus may issue states.

You can try being cute by comparing crime statistics or mass shooting locations of gun free zones (movie theatre posted no carry, schools, courthouses, post offices) versus locations that have high amounts of guns. (Police stations, gun ranges, gun shops, training bases.)

A topic that would be easier to prove and could ultimately be far more meaningful in the long run as it could change preconceptions about firearms and the root cause of violence. Something like, "Does illicit drug traffic lead to increased urban gang violence?" or "Does stricter enforcement of gun laws lead to lower levels of gun crimes?" You can find a lot of data on each of these topics, and the FBI website is a great place to start.

Who knows, do a great job and your work could be cited by others in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links