Thinking of running the Ruger Vaquero in the LE competition

This is a discussion on Thinking of running the Ruger Vaquero in the LE competition within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know it sounds crazy, but I just got my Kentucky Peace Officers Association notice in the mail, with the schedule for this years shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Thinking of running the Ruger Vaquero in the LE competition

I know it sounds crazy, but I just got my Kentucky Peace Officers Association notice in the mail, with the schedule for this years shooting events, and I'm thinking of using a SA revolver.

The course starts at 40 yards and works down to 3 yards. I know time and reloading will put me at a disadvantage, as the course is geared for modern guns. I have competed often in the past.

But I can't help but think how much fun it would be, and would stretch me way beyond my comfort level. I'm not even sure if they would allow it, but I really want to give it a try.

Any thoughts out there, or opinions?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

You already know what I think. That would remove all doubt that you are, in fact a super hero.

I also would be concerned about reloading. Can you can you carry multiple guns? I think a cylinder swap-out may be slower than manual reload, and at the very least too risky should you get hung-up.

What caliber? I know you're probably thinking 45 LC, but .38 may let you run a little quicker. Keep us posted.

{edit}

I almost was able to get Bob Munden to work over my Vaquero before he died. He was already going in for a kidney transplant at the time though, so I was waiting and hoping for his recovery to send it in. I'll miss that guy.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I know it sounds crazy, but I just got my Kentucky Peace Officers Association notice in the mail, with the schedule for this years shooting events, and I'm thinking of using a SA revolver.

The course starts at 40 yards and works down to 3 yards. I know time and reloading will put me at a disadvantage, as the course is geared for modern guns. I have competed often in the past.

But I can't help but think how much fun it would be, and would stretch me way beyond my comfort level. I'm not even sure if they would allow it, but I really want to give it a try.

Any thoughts out there, or opinions?
    You might not win, but you'd probably be the guy with the biggest smile.
    bmcgilvray and pgrass101 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Whec, I have a 44 spl 4 5/8 barrel. Multiple guns aren't allowed in this particular run.

The thing is, I don't expect to win, as its a point system and the more hits on paper, the potential for a higher score.

But in real life, good hits center punching the target is what counts. And I believe I can score the maximum score more easily with the 44, but I know I won't get as many. But what I do should be 10 point or at least 9 ring hits.

I've won enough of these events that its just not that important to have another wall hanger or useless trophy to collect dust. I just want to have fun!
    bmcgilvray and Bad Bob like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You might not win, but you'd probably be the guy with the biggest smile.
    That's what I'm thinking:)

Yeah, Bob was a real superhero. He will be missed. Now Bob could win a competition like this, if he could reload quick enough.

But the reality for him is six was enough unless he faced seven, and then I wouldn't put it past him to figure out a 2-fer.
    WHEC724 and pgrass101 like this.

If you practice combat style revolver speed loads, I think you would amaze a lot of people with a SA revolver. The art of the combat revolver is a dying skill. Its one thing to change a mag quickly, but to watch someone open a cylinder, drop the empties, stuff in a speedloade, release the rounds, drop the loader, close the cylinder, get back on target, cock the hammer and fire is awesome. and when they do this almost as fast a magazine change its pure poetry in motion. I think you would have a ton of fun, and would suprise yourself too, if you gave it a shot and went out just for the fun of it to show yourself you can do it. When I get a wheelgun, I already know i will spend countless hours practicing speed loading just to see how fast i can do it lol.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Go for it and never look back!

Oh Gman. You've really gone around the bend now. Still...I'd really rather "ride the river" with you and that .44 than most other pistoleros I know, no matter what pistol they are toting.

It would sure be a hoot to read of your exploits in that LE competition.

"I'm not even sure if they would allow it, but I really want to give it a try."

Could it even be possible that your neato Ruger .44 would be discriminated against for the unspoken reason that it might be a bit embarrassing for a single action revolver to make a good showing against all the "latest and greatest" "tactically imperative" pistols and gear?

OOOooo...it's a conspiracy theory.
    Bad Bob, WHEC724 and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Hey! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ELEPHANT???
    bmcgilvray and pgrass101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Bryan, I'm thinking that in the bylaws of the association they may have a " duty weapon" clause that would include revolvers used by retirees.

There's one ol gal long retired that attends the Dept of Justice Training shoot that uses an M10 and 64 that always makes a good showing.

The SAA design may not be " current" enough to squeak by the rule. But I'll see.
    Maybe I can get the wife to take some pics of the event to post here.

Right now for holster I plan on using a Bianchi " Lawman" matched to a Bianchi belt, both have seen their time of use.

But I can tell ya right now, the ol thumb buster and Colt 1911 have taken over my carry needs and requirements.
    But if I was really serious about winning, I'd just take the Colt 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hey! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ELEPHANT???
    Got to expensive to feed!
    gasmitty and RoadRunner71 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Even if you don't win you just might make the "modern" gun guys stand up and take notice. About the time I left private security I thought about doing the same on our qualification course just for the fun of it. I never got the chance, don't let a good oportunity pass you by.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You might not win, but you'd probably be the guy with the biggest %@££$.
    Did you mean something else?

Yeah, go for it!

Administrator
    Do it! I love when guys do stuff like that in our competitions. Keeps things a little more interesting.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links